MN-700 Problems getting to work with Starband

Last response: in Networking
December 3, 2004 11:05:34 PM

Has anyone been able to get the MN-700 setup for use with
Starband. If so how please....
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 10:21:14 AM

Jim, you may want to take a look at this Knowledge Base article from
Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;817461
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Jim Roberson" <hwy28spur@starband.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone been able to get the MN-700 setup for use with
> Starband. If so how please....
December 4, 2004 10:44:45 AM

Several questions since most people here know nothing about your ISP.

What kind of connection do they provide you with on the modem? (USB or
ethernet)

Since they are a satellite ISP you really need to mention this.

Also how are you assigned your IP address? (Dynamic, static, or PPPoE)

Which satellite modem did they provide you with?

If you can answer these questions we can help you better.

Jim Roberson wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get the MN-700 setup for use with
> Starband. If so how please....

assistance.

time.
December 5, 2004 9:30:27 AM

I am using ethernet. However since Starband is satellite
and I use the 360 modem. It has to come to a host
computer and then us ICS. Wire my current wired system, I
have no problems. But I want to go wireless and can't
figure out how to setup the MN-700. It seem like you
can't set it up for just wireless between computer. It
wants an internet connection. I have tried the

http://192.168.2.1

but to no avail. I have went into my LAN connection and
uncheck everything. Still to no avail.

I have a Dynamic IP Address which is has never changed.
Why they say it is Dynamic I don't know.

Hope this helps in fixing my problem. Oh also running a
Dell computer with 2.4G P4.

Thanks,

Jim

you directly for
>assistance.
>
>If your question is worth asking, it's worth posting.
>
>If it's not worth posting you should have done a search
on
>http://www.google.com/ http://www.google.com/grphp?
hl=en&tab=wg&q= or
>http://news.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=nf&ned=us&q=
before wasting our
>time.
>.

December 5, 2004 11:17:33 AM

Try the article that Chris suggested as it will solve the problem if the
modem must be connected to a computer. Since that modem does have an
ethernet port you can try cloning the MAC address of that computers NIC
& doing a power cycle.

> I am using ethernet. However since Starband is satellite
> and I use the 360 modem. It has to come to a host
> computer and then us ICS. Wire my current wired system, I
> have no problems. But I want to go wireless and can't
> figure out how to setup the MN-700. It seem like you
> can't set it up for just wireless between computer. It
> wants an internet connection. I have tried the
>
> http://192.168.2.1
>
> but to no avail. I have went into my LAN connection and
> uncheck everything. Still to no avail.
>
> I have a Dynamic IP Address which is has never changed.
> Why they say it is Dynamic I don't know.
>
> Hope this helps in fixing my problem. Oh also running a
> Dell computer with 2.4G P4.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

assistance.

time.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 12:06:35 PM

You need to use the information in the Knowledge Base article I posted the
link to, and read Chapter 3 in the User's Guide. Pay close attention to the
section on Access Point Setup.

You will need a Network Interface Card (NIC) in the computer to which you've
attached the satellite modem feed, so you can administer the base station in
access mode. The computer itself handles the Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) as described in the KB article, and the base station acts as an access
point.

Remember, since the computer is handling the incoming/outgoing Internet
connection to the satellite modem, that computer must be on at all times
other computers in your setup need Internet access.
--

!