Which hard drive works?

I would like to add another internal hard drive, of 120GB or larger size to
my computer Dimension 8200 (its has a 40G now). I do a lot of audio work and
the 40G is full now.

When using Dell website to select drives for this machine, only 80GB are
shown. Is that the max size I can go? If not, what other drive can I use?
The drives shown were specified as EIDE type. I would also like a minimum
7200 RPM drive.

Also, when I buy it from Dell, does it come with instructions and everything
I need to install and cables etc?

Thanks for any help!
14 answers Last reply
More about which hard drive works

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:02:56 -0700, stratman wrote in

    > I would like to add another internal hard drive, of 120GB or larger size to
    > my computer Dimension 8200 (its has a 40G now). I do a lot of audio work and
    > the 40G is full now.
    >
    > When using Dell website to select drives for this machine, only 80GB are
    > shown. Is that the max size I can go? If not, what other drive can I use?
    > The drives shown were specified as EIDE type. I would also like a minimum
    > 7200 RPM drive.
    >
    > Also, when I buy it from Dell, does it come with instructions and everything
    > I need to install and cables etc?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    If I were you, I'd just go to Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. and
    pick up a hard drive. I was just in Best Buy yesterday and they had a
    120GB Seagate SATA hard drive for $96. I'm sure you can find it a little
    cheaper on the 'net, but then you have to pay shipping and wait for it to
    arrive, etc. I'm not sure how much the IDE hard drives were since I don't
    use them for my 8400.

    As for cables and instructions, yes those will come in the box. However,
    you probably won't need a cable if you only have a single hard drive in
    your system. You would just need to screw on the two plastic "rails" to
    the hard drive itself (there should be some extra ones inside your computer
    case), make sure it's jumpered correctly for slave or cable select, slide
    it into place, plug in one of the connectors on the IDE cable, and plug in
    a power connector.

    Boot up and once you get to the Windows desktop go to Control Panel ->
    Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and select
    the new hard drive which you should see here if it's jumpered correctly.
    If not, check the jumper plug again. The main hard drive or the one you
    are booting from (the one already in your system) will be either master or
    cable select. If it's master set the second hard drive to slave. If the
    one in your system already is set to cable select, set the new drive to
    cable select as well. Also make sure the boot hard drive is on the end of
    the IDE cable. It should be there already with an empty connector in the
    middle of the cable. This is the cable you will hook to the new drive.
    Anyway, back to formatting... Right click on the new hard drive once you
    get to Disk Management and select format and Windows will format it for
    you. Once that is done it's all ready to use.

    This is how I've added IDE hard drives to my Windows XP system before. :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:02:56 -0700, stratman wrote in
    >
    >> I would like to add another internal hard drive, of 120GB or larger size to
    >>my computer Dimension 8200 (its has a 40G now). I do a lot of audio work and
    >>the 40G is full now.
    >>
    >>When using Dell website to select drives for this machine, only 80GB are
    >>shown. Is that the max size I can go? If not, what other drive can I use?
    >>The drives shown were specified as EIDE type. I would also like a minimum
    >>7200 RPM drive.
    >>
    >>Also, when I buy it from Dell, does it come with instructions and everything
    >>I need to install and cables etc?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help!
    >
    > If I were you, I'd just go to Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. and
    > pick up a hard drive. I was just in Best Buy yesterday and they had a
    > 120GB Seagate SATA hard drive for $96. I'm sure you can find it a little
    > cheaper on the 'net, but then you have to pay shipping and wait for it to
    > arrive, etc. I'm not sure how much the IDE hard drives were since I don't
    > use them for my 8400.

    Generally good advice, but you're not quite on the money when it comes
    to online merchants - I bought a new HDD from Newegg last month, they
    were offering free 2 day shipping & the price was much better than the
    local CompUSA had it. This was a bare drive, i.e., no cables, screws,
    instructions, which shouldn't be a problem as David pointed out.

    If you have a Dell (which you do), the new HDD should be jumpered for
    Cable Select (CS). IIRC most HDDs come jumpered for Master. FYI, you may
    need needlenose pliers to manipulate the jumper.

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:15:36 GMT, Sparky wrote in

    > Generally good advice, but you're not quite on the money when it comes
    > to online merchants - I bought a new HDD from Newegg last month, they
    > were offering free 2 day shipping & the price was much better than the
    > local CompUSA had it. This was a bare drive, i.e., no cables, screws,
    > instructions, which shouldn't be a problem as David pointed out.
    >
    > If you have a Dell (which you do), the new HDD should be jumpered for
    > Cable Select (CS). IIRC most HDDs come jumpered for Master. FYI, you may
    > need needlenose pliers to manipulate the jumper.

    I just bought and installed a DVD burner this weekend and as I was reading
    through the manual it came with, it said to use cable select you had to
    have a special cable select IDE cable. I'd never heard of that before and
    it didn't really apply to me since in my 8400 everything is set to cable
    select from the factory anyway. Just wondering if such a cable really does
    exist and what the difference might be.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Cable select cables have one wire filaments cut to one of the connectors. I
    don't have a cable select cable to tell you which filament is cut to which
    connector. If you jumper both devices in the cable select position, one device
    will show up as master and the other as slave, the relation dictated by the
    position on the cable. Hence the name "cable select." The connectors on these
    cable are also usually marked "system", "master" and "slave", so they can be
    connected up properly.

    The other type of cable has all wire filaments present to both connectors, and
    drives must be explicitly jumpered as master or slave with this type of cable.
    A drive jumpered as master can be attached to either of the non-system cable
    connectors. Same with slave.

    One can, of course, jumper a drive as master and connect it to the master
    position of a cable select cable, and the drive will operate properly as a
    master. Same with slave... Ben Myers

    (Ben Myers)> wrote:
    > One can, of course, jumper a drive as master and connect
    > it to the master position of a cable select cable, and the drive
    > will operate properly as a master. Same with slave...

    The jumpering is only to differentiate the drives on the
    channel. A drive jumpered "Master" can be put at the
    intermediate connector, and a drive jumpered "Slave"
    can be put at the end connector, and they will work just as
    well. "Master" and "Slave" are bad names. "Drive X" and
    "Drive Y" would actually be better since they don't imply
    a hierarchy of authority.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message news:O7Gdnb18UZNyi9LcRVn-vA@comcast.com...

    > "Master" and "Slave" are bad names.

    Which is probably why that nomenclature was abandoned starting
    with ATA-2.

    > "Drive X" and "Drive Y" would actually be better since they
    > don't imply a hierarchy of authority.

    Device 0 and Device 1 are the proper names.

    "The jumpering is only to differentiate the drives on the channel. A drive
    jumpered "Master" can be put at the intermediate connector, and a drive jumpered
    "Slave" can be put at the end connector, and they will work just as well." True,
    with the other "non-cable select" type of cable, where positions of the drives
    are irrelevant. While explicit master and slave jumpering may work with
    cable-select cables, it violates the standard.

    The master and slave designations accurately depict function. IDE/ATAPI drives
    have built-in controller logic to replace the freestanding controllers of their
    similar MFM, RLL and ESDI predecessors. The "master" IDE drive in a two-drive
    setup interprets and executes commands on behalf of the "slave". There is a
    reason for the politically incorrect master-slave relationship, which is why the
    industry standard body which concocted it used the terminology that it did.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:44:20 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com>
    wrote:

    >(Ben Myers)> wrote:
    >> One can, of course, jumper a drive as master and connect
    >> it to the master position of a cable select cable, and the drive
    >> will operate properly as a master. Same with slave...
    >

    > The jumpering is only to differentiate the drives on the
    >channel. A drive jumpered "Master" can be put at the
    >intermediate connector, and a drive jumpered "Slave"
    >can be put at the end connector, and they will work just as
    >well. "Master" and "Slave" are bad names. "Drive X" and
    >"Drive Y" would actually be better since they don't imply
    >a hierarchy of authority.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    You can install any EIDE drive up to 120 gig with no problem.
    Make sure you do NOT get an SATA drive by mistake

    --
    Steve

    "stratman" <stratman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to add another internal hard drive, of 120GB or larger
    size to
    > my computer Dimension 8200 (its has a 40G now). I do a lot of audio
    work and
    > the 40G is full now.
    >
    > When using Dell website to select drives for this machine, only 80GB
    are
    > shown. Is that the max size I can go? If not, what other drive can I
    use?
    > The drives shown were specified as EIDE type. I would also like a
    minimum
    > 7200 RPM drive.
    >
    > Also, when I buy it from Dell, does it come with instructions and
    everything
    > I need to install and cables etc?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Back to the future. MFM, RLL & ESDI called the devices 0 & 1, too... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:26:29 -0400, "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message news:O7Gdnb18UZNyi9LcRVn-vA@comcast.com...
    >
    >> "Master" and "Slave" are bad names.
    >
    >Which is probably why that nomenclature was abandoned starting
    >with ATA-2.
    >
    >> "Drive X" and "Drive Y" would actually be better since they
    >> don't imply a hierarchy of authority.
    >
    >Device 0 and Device 1 are the proper names.

    I usually buy a name brand white box drive from http://www.dalco.com/ . I
    then go to the maker's tech support, and read the faq on how to install a
    HD in XP.

    If I buy a DVD burner, I purchase a retail box Plextor drive from Dell.I
    usually get a drive at a discount and with a rebate.

    (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >True, with the other "non-cable select" type of cable, where
    > positions of the drives are irrelevant. While explicit master
    > and slave jumpering may work with cable-select cables,
    > it violates the standard.

    My comment pertained to how Cable Select cables really
    work, regardless of how they were designed to work. BTW,
    I just tested my system again. Using a Cable Select-capable
    cable, regardless of which positions the two hard drives
    were in, the system always booted from the hard drive designated
    in the BIOS' boot sequence (i.e the BIOS' boot priority list). Even
    when the hard drives were both set to Cable Select mode, the
    system booted from the hard drive designated in the BIOS'
    boot sequence. In short, the BIOS' boot sequence *always*
    determines which hard drive will boot, regardless of jumper
    settings on the hard drives.

    >The master and slave designations accurately depict function.
    > IDE/ATAPI drives have built-in controller logic to replace the
    > freestanding controllers of their similar MFM, RLL and ESDI
    > predecessors. The "master" IDE drive in a two-drive setup
    > interprets and executes commands on behalf of the "slave".
    >There is a reason for the politically incorrect master-slave
    > relationship, which is why the industry standard body which
    > concocted it used the terminology that it did.

    If the Master interprets and executes commands on behalf
    of the Slave, aren't the functional roles actually reversed from
    their names? :-)

    But regardless of the channel protocol, to the USER - the guy
    setting the jumpers (or not setting the jumpers) - which hard drive
    boots is entirely determined by the BIOS' boot sequence and
    not at all by the Master/Slave/CableSelect jumper settings on
    the hard drives. Which mode and which role the hard drive
    plays is entirely irrelevant as far as the user is concerned.

    *TimDaniels*

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:28:29 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com>
    wrote:
    <SNIP>
    > My comment pertained to how Cable Select cables really
    >work, regardless of how they were designed to work. BTW,
    >I just tested my system again. Using a Cable Select-capable
    >cable, regardless of which positions the two hard drives
    >were in, the system always booted from the hard drive designated
    >in the BIOS' boot sequence (i.e the BIOS' boot priority list). Even
    >when the hard drives were both set to Cable Select mode, the
    >system booted from the hard drive designated in the BIOS'
    >boot sequence. In short, the BIOS' boot sequence *always*
    >determines which hard drive will boot, regardless of jumper
    >settings on the hard drives.

    Yes, the BIOS boot sequence determines which hard drive will boot if and only if
    the BIOS setup is sophisticated enough to have to option to select boot drives.
    Not all BIOSes have this sort of option. Most modern Dell and other systems
    have this capability, but go back to the Pentium 3 days a short time ago and the
    choices for boot sequence were much more primitive and they did not permit one
    to select among hard drives on a system. Only booting from the C: drive was an
    option, the C: drive being equated to the drive sensed as the IDE master.

    Further, any mention of the BIOS boot sequence obscures the role of hardware
    configuration, which is the thread of discussion.

    >>The master and slave designations accurately depict function.
    >> IDE/ATAPI drives have built-in controller logic to replace the
    >> freestanding controllers of their similar MFM, RLL and ESDI
    >> predecessors. The "master" IDE drive in a two-drive setup
    >> interprets and executes commands on behalf of the "slave".
    >>There is a reason for the politically incorrect master-slave
    >> relationship, which is why the industry standard body which
    >> concocted it used the terminology that it did.
    >

    > If the Master interprets and executes commands on behalf
    >of the Slave, aren't the functional roles actually reversed from
    >their names? :-)

    Ah, but the MASTER is in control.

    >But regardless of the channel protocol, to the USER - the guy
    >setting the jumpers (or not setting the jumpers) - which hard drive
    >boots is entirely determined by the BIOS' boot sequence and
    >not at all by the Master/Slave/CableSelect jumper settings on
    >the hard drives. Which mode and which role the hard drive
    >plays is entirely irrelevant as far as the user is concerned.

    Yes and no. See my comments above. But the hard drives must be jumpered
    correctly or the system will not work properly. One way or another, the
    master/slave zero/one relationship between drives on an IDE/ATAPI channel must
    be clearly defined or else the system won't work properly, and the BIOS boot
    sequence choices won't work either.... Ben Myers

    (Ben Myers)> wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    > > Using a Cable Select-capable
    > >cable, regardless of which positions the two hard drives
    > >were in, the system always booted from the hard drive designated
    > >in the BIOS' boot sequence (i.e the BIOS' boot priority list). Even
    > >when the hard drives were both set to Cable Select mode, the
    > >system booted from the hard drive designated in the BIOS'
    > >boot sequence. In short, the BIOS' boot sequence *always*
    > >determines which hard drive will boot, regardless of jumper
    > >settings on the hard drives.
    > >

    > Yes, the BIOS boot sequence determines which hard drive
    > will boot if and only if the BIOS setup is sophisticated enough
    > to have to option to select boot drives. Not all BIOSes have
    > this sort of option. Most modern Dell and other systems
    > have this capability,

    ...and this is a Dell newsgroup

    > but go back to the Pentium 3 days a short time ago and
    > the choices for boot sequence were much more primitive
    > and they did not permit one to select among hard drives
    > on a system.

    My Dell Dimension, with a Pentium II and purchased in
    January of 1999, has a BIOS that allows setting the
    boot sequence.

    > Only booting from the C: drive was an option, the C: drive
    > being equated to the drive sensed as the IDE master.

    My Dell's BIOS will boot from the partition designated
    in the boot.ini file in the Active partition of the 1st drive
    in the BIOS' boot sequence. I think in the vanilla case,
    that boils down to what you said, but what you said
    does not include the case involving drives on different
    IDE channels - where the drive jumpered Slave may
    be the "boot" drive if its channel happens to be higher
    in the BIOS' boot sequence.

    > Further, any mention of the BIOS boot sequence obscures
    > the role of hardware configuration, which is the thread of
    > discussion.

    The thread of this discussion implied much more importance
    to the jumper settings or cable positions than is the case.
    Any functional result from "Master" or "Slave" designation is
    totally overridden by the boot sequence in the BIOS - which
    has been accessible AFAIK in all Dell PCs for at least 5 years.

    > But the hard drives must be jumpered correctly or the
    > system will not work properly. One way or another, the
    > master/slave zero/one relationship between drives on
    > an IDE/ATAPI channel must be clearly defined or else
    > the system won't work properly, and the BIOS boot
    > sequence choices won't work either....

    But let us be clear that "correctly" means merely
    "to differentiate them for the channel" as that is all
    that the Master/Slave roles imply to the user. Which
    partition on which hard drive gets loaded is determined
    by the boot.ini file on the Active partition of the 1st device
    in the BIOS' boot sequence. All those parameters are
    available to the user to set. For example, the 3rd partition
    on a drive jumpered "Slave" on another channel can
    provide the booted system if the settings so indicate.
    After reading "the drive that is Master is booted" so often,
    too many people start to believe it. In reality, that is true
    only in the very very vanilla case.

    *TimDaniels*

    Does anyone else think we're over anthropomorphizing the "master" /
    "slave" business regarding HDDs? After all, they aren't people and have
    no rights under the US Constitution. I own several HDDs and *I* decide
    who's master & who's slave!

    ;)

Dell Hard Drives Computers