PDA to buy or not to buy

March 20, 2005 1:53:11 PM

About 4 months ago, I wrote that I was once again taking a foray into
the world of PDAs. Today I give you an update on that venture. The
short version is this: I'm using the PDA far more than I expected, but
I'm still not sure whether the total investment (more than the cost of
an inexpensive notebook computer) is worth it.

To briefly recap, I selected a Dell Axim 50v as my PDA of choice (
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
) because of the broad feature set, built-in wireless connectivity
options, and the VGA screen. I added a 1GB Secure Digital memory card
and the Dell Bluetooth GPS Navigation System, plus a few other options
such as the extended accidental damage warranty, extra batteries, and a
spare power system so that I didn't have to disconnect my desktop setup
when traveling. The entire system cost about $900.

That's a serious investment so I'm determined to give the PDA world a
serious shot. Much to my surprise, I find that I use the PDA almost
everyday, although not how I originally envisioned using it. I'm still
not sure it was worth the money, but if I'm still using the device
after a year or so, I'll consider the money well spent.

I had expected to use the PDA for basic contact information tasks, but
I'm also using it to read books. Fortunately I'm able to find hundreds
of titles online, including new releases from publishers such as Baen (
www.baen.com ), and having my PDA at hand all the time means I always
have something to read, which is a big deal to me because I always
carry around a book or two to read as the opportunity presents itself.
With the PDA, I have 30 or 40 titles with me at all times. Also, the
PDF reader lets me put technical documentation on the device so that I
can have it available while I'm working on products or to peruse while
I'm on the train to customer sites in the city. The convenient
availability of documentation and spare reading material goes a long
way to making the PDA a useful device for me.

The second surprise is how useful the GPS system is. The included car
kit lets me enter an address while at my desk, then take the PDA to my
car, turn on the GPS hardware (which connects to the PDA via Bluetooth
technology), and get directions spoken to me while I drive. The ability
of the PDA software to find restaurants and other venues during my
travels has also come in handy, and I expect it to be even more
valuable this summer while I travel by car looking for property to buy
in central Pennsylvania.

So far the PDA has enhanced both my personal and business life, and I'm
beginning to believe it's worth the expense. My other Dell portable
device, the Digital DJ, has been useful but has died twice. Dell did
send me a replacement unit within 3 days in both cases, but putting
5000 tracks back onto the replacement device isn't fun. I haven't had
to deal with replacing the Axim yet, but the device supports
single-click backup of its contents, and I've been obsessive about
backing up the data I store on the PDA. I'll let you know in a few
months whether I'm still pleased with the device.

More about : pda buy buy

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:43:58 AM

In article <1111344791.370595.35260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
bluelizardman@gmail.com wrote:

> About 4 months ago, I wrote that I was once again taking a foray into
> the world of PDAs. Today I give you an update on that venture. The
> short version is this: I'm using the PDA far more than I expected, but
> I'm still not sure whether the total investment (more than the cost of
> an inexpensive notebook computer) is worth it.

Did someone pay you to write this ad?
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 4:11:48 AM

On 20 Mar 2005 10:53:11 -0800, bluelizardman@gmail.com wrote:

>About 4 months ago, I wrote that I was once again taking a foray into
>the world of PDAs. Today I give you an update on that venture. The
>short version is this: I'm using the PDA far more than I expected, but
>I'm still not sure whether the total investment (more than the cost of
>an inexpensive notebook computer) is worth it.
>
>To briefly recap, I selected a Dell Axim 50v as my PDA of choice

<snip>

which means your post does notbelong in here, but in the newsgroup
microsoft.public.pocketpc
April 5, 2005 8:37:40 PM

Traveling to Hong Kong often, I really hate taking a laptop... You
know how it goes... You start with the laptop, then you need a case...
Then you discover all kinds of things (paperwork, power cords, network
cables, adaptors, toothbrush, etc.) to stuff into the case... The next
thing you know, you are lugging around a 20 lb. package.

I now take only my HP6315 pocket PC with a Bluetooth Stowaway Keyboard
and Stowaway Bluetooth Mouse... I step outside my hotel, find a
comfortable park bench, and almost immediately find 20 wifi signals
floating around out there. Of these 20 there are always 5 or 6 which
have no security on them, so I simply snag one of those connections...
The PDA, keyboard and mouse fit into a single small leather case
(which I had custom designed in China) and fits in the palm of my hand.

Let me think... "A few ounces of weight"... or "Twenty pounds" ....
It's a no-brainer, folks. ;-)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:40:27 PM

[...]

April 6, 2005 3:47:41 AM

In article <1112744260.062576.112340@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
rjtrede@gmail.com wrote:

> I now take only my (xxx)C with a Bluetooth Stowaway Keyboard
> and Stowaway Bluetooth Mouse... I step outside my hotel, find a
> comfortable park bench, and almost immediately find 20 wifi signals
> floating around out there. Of these 20 there are always 5 or 6 which
> have no security on them, so I simply snag one of those connections...
> The PDA, keyboard and mouse fit into a single small leather case
> (which I had custom designed in China) and fits in the palm of my hand.

Thanks for the ad. This can be done with any Wi-Fi device, handheld,
laptop, etc.
!