AMD marketing full of S**T!

tibou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of AMD. I own a 1.33GHz T-bird myself and my only complaint is heat. Anyways, I went to AMD's website today and clicked on the the athlon xp page. There is a page there that says, "unlock the power of windows xp". Now, according to AMD, XP stands for exceptional performance or something, I forget. Anways, they said it was only a happy coincidence that their new processor was named xp like the new MS os. Come on, this is rediculous, you cannot tell me that AMD did not do this on purpose. That's just my 2 cents. BTW, even though AMD has extremely poor marketing, I might still buy an Athlon XP to go with my version of Windows XP, but of coarse, not because they are both named xp.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Marketing is largely smoke and mirrors. Why do you call this tactic S**T? Joe Blow doesn't know his processor from a whole in the ground. All he's been seeing is blue man commericials and add's for Windows XP. With the average inteligence of a mouse, most users will mistake an XP processor for being microsofts. I think it's a good tactic to get their sales up. The more sales the have the better. Marketing doesn't apply to the informed generally, only to the masses.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
unfortunately AMD is marketing the XP quatispeed to their CURRENT customers, AMD has researched this quite well, they know exactly who their customers are!

AXP is not targeted at Joe Public because Joe Public has never heard of AMD.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
And it's a good strategy to expand their customer bases to Joe Blow. I've heard of people doing the dumbest stuff. Trust me there will be people who buy the AXP because they think they need it to run Windows XP.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've come across a very few # of people who haven't heard of AMD.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
General Knowledge of AMD in Australia isnt great...though its growing.

for years we have been bombarded and confused with/about the intel blue man group
(what is it with them anyway? must be wierd american humor)

a friend of mine had a nice duron... and didnt realise that it wasnt an Intel chip. (i.e. "who makes it then?")

its gonna take a hell of alot of time & money to educate the public about hollowHtz and other important things in system performance i.e. HDD & GRAPHICS & RAM.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
allright...
here u go!

have 29 AUSTRALIAN Cents...
and since we dont have single cents as currency anymore, by law i can pay you 25 and get away with it...
:)

if you want a real payment you can touch my enermax 550W psu for a while... a religious experience

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Agreed, i think this is a good move. People will think that the XP processor is meant for the XP operating system. They'll think its optimized for it. Quite a subtly smart move. And boy, they need it.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Finally AMD gets a chance to delude the public! How the tables turn, Intel...

You have to remember that most people have never seen a proc (i.e. calling a midtower case a "CPU" - damn I hate when people do that...)

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
i like it when you buy a new monitor and your friends come over and see it on the desk and say "hey! when did you get the new computer?!"