Do they know where they are going?

G

--------------------------------------------------------

From the Semiconductor pages of Electronic News: June 8, 1998 Issue:

“We used to have a PR Rating and abandoned it because it was too confusing for customers”

Tom Stites, AMD VP of Corporate Communications in 1998

--------------------------------------------------------

AMD's position on GHz in 2000:

“The commencement of commercial shipments of 1GHz AMD Athlon processors is a watershed event for AMD. Introduction of a PC processor capable of executing one billion clock cycles per second is our industry’s equivalent of breaking the sound barrier. Just as the achievement of Chuck Yeager signaled the beginning of a new era in aviation, the 1 GHz processor ushers in a new era of information technology. AMD plans to lead in the gigahertz era.”

W.J. Sanders III
Chairman and CEO of AMD
3/6/2000

and its position now in 2001:

“Megahertz used to be a good indicator of performance. That’s not true anymore”
Aaron Feen, AMD Marketing Manager, 8/28/2001

“Without a doubt, processor performance is no longer determined by frequency alone”
AMD white paper, 8/24/2001

What has changed? The Athlon architecture is on its last legs. The Palomino is no longer frequency competitive. AMD's products are uncompetitive in the marketplace, so it is trying to change the rules of the game.

--

Do not forget that the Thunderbird was running close to its thermal limit. Many people were using up to 5 fans in a 1.2 GHz system. Is there room for a 6th fan?

To put things in perspective, a 1.73GHz Palomino will have approximately the same thermal problems and characteristics as the 1.4 GHz Thunderbird. That is extremely hot. The Palomino is a temporary solution. It will not be going much past 1.73GHz, if it does at all.

Core Clock Speed (MHz) Voltage (V) Power (W)
(MHz) (V) (W)
Thunderbird 1000- 1.75- 54
Thunderbird 1100- 1.75- 60
Thunderbird 1133- 1.75- 63
Thunderbird 1200- 1.75- 66
Thunderbird 1300- 1.75- 68
Thunderbird 1333- 1.75- 70
Thunderbird 1400- 1.75- 73
Palomino 1300- 1.80- 58
Palomino 1333- 1.80- 59
Palomino 1400- 1.80- 62
Palomino 1533- 1.80- 68
Palomino 1600- 1.80- 71
Palomino 1733- 1.80- 77

-thx from my fav source

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
AMD's products are uncompetitive in the marketplace

Spuddy, AMD once again owns the fastest desktop processor in the world. If you can't accept that, go bitch about it in [H]'s Intel-only forum.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

Look at the big picture dude do you see anyone else finding out about how great AMD is? Do you see them outselling Intel yet? Are they expanding financially and industrially? Is their customer base knowledgeable of them? I don’t think so dude we are a very very small chunk of the population that knows jack and jack just left town to find greener pastures. We are classified as a cult FatBurger an insignificant segment in the world population. Regardless to popular belief Microsoft might be big but no one truly fears them they are just another company that soon will out grow it self and crumble internally. I’m not saying AMD doesn’t have what it takes I’m just saying from this they need new leadership and guidance new engineers and new PR people. Then they can fairly compete with Intel because even if you don’t want to admit to it for the last 2 years it been me too look at me I’m here attitude from AMD they are still in Intel’s shadow but they are on the right route to getting out from under it just they need a new approach and get them damn top tier OEM’s back.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
"Look at the big picture dude do you see anyone else finding out about how great AMD is?"
I don't understand that question.

"Do you see them outselling Intel yet?"
No, but remember that Intel has had a hold on the market for quite a while.

"Are they expanding financially and industrially?"
No, but everyone is doing badly, and yes.

"Is their customer base knowledgeable of them?"
No, but that's true with basically any computer component.

"jack just left town to find greener pastures"
lol...that's a good quote.

"We are classified as a cult FatBurger an insignificant segment in the world population."
I wouldn't say cult...maybe just a group of societal outcasts? :)

"they need new leadership and guidance"
Jerry Sanders is stepping down. I can't remember the name of the guy taking over.

These two posts of yours make no sense. In the first, you're completely bashing AMD and saying that they're stupid. Then in the second, you're saying that they're on the right track.

G

No no dude that’s not what I meant I’m trying to constructively criticize AMD business practices and processors without offending anyone. We all know I’m not very good at that. All I want to get across is both sides of the coin you guys always look at the bad for Intel and the good for AMD. I think its only fair that we give you the other side since you do it so... pronounced.

Now what I meant by they are on the right track is, they will be on the right track if they continue to restructure. Now I know I don’t have a university business degree saying I know this stuff. But I like to think of myself as an enlightened person at times. But I am being kind of biased in the fact I mentioned nothing about Intel’s troubles but hey them the breaks of being a zealot am I right?

Sorry for offending anyone I’m just trying to get a better grasp for myself especially about the whole thing being both companies and the industry cause we all know its easier to talk about it and get comments on the ideas then to just think about it without outside knowledge. Well now I’m lost as to what I’m saying later guys.

-Spuddy

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Hold on there, AMD is not much younger that Intel, about 2 years younger I think. They have pretty much the same time. The reason why AMD is/was in Intel's shadow was because, as I understand, their earlier products where crap next to competition, plus they where hit with patent infringement suits once a week. AMD's business practises were just as questionable as Intels if not more so, verging on criminal theft of intellectual property. However, now they do have some truly good, competitive products.

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Hold on there, AMD is not much younger that Intel, about 2 years younger I think. They have pretty much the same time. The reason why AMD is/was in Intel's shadow was because, as I understand, their earlier products where crap next to competition, plus they where hit with patent infringement suits once a week. AMD's business practises were just as questionable as Intels if not more so, verging on criminal theft of intellectual property. However, now they do have some truly good, competitive products.
And on the doing badly thing, Intel is still safely in the black.
And finally, saddly the addage that if you build a better once trap, the world will beat a path to your door (one that was held dear by Andy Grove) just isn't true. Consumer loyalty counts for a lot and I don't think enough of the business sector trust AMD, I could be wrong though.

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Intel produced the first microprocessor in 1969. When did AMD produce their first one? The mid 80's? Later?

And on the doing badly thing, Intel is still safely in the black.

Overall, every tech company is losing money. Last I checked, Intel was as well. Their stock has certainly dropped considerably.

Consumer loyalty counts for a lot and I don't think enough of the business sector trust AMD, I could be wrong though.

Nope, that's exactly right. I agree.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Thusfar Intel has remained profitable. Profits may not be as good as they once were, but they are still profits.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Spud, both of the ghz matter statements came before the release of the hollow hertz P4 design. AMD's Pr is not comparing to the p4, it is comparing to the thunderbird, which I for one accept just fine. Both chips are named athlon, how is a consumer to know that the athlon xp @1.33ghz is faster than the tbird @1.33ghz. Not only would they have the fight that their chips are as fast as pentium 4's but also they would have to prove that their own new chip is faster than their old similarly named chip. AMD is in a delicate position right now and PR ratings probably was their only route of action at this time.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Thanatos00

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
I think AMD is STILL on the right track. Sure, their processors don't scale like intel's, but MHz doesn't matter anymore like it used to. Remember, the Thunderbird is something like 3 times more efficient per clock than the P4! You're right, the Athlon core is running out of head room very quickly, but performance wise it will keep up with the P4 for quite a while.
______________________________________________________________________________________
"AMD's products are uncompetitive in the marketplace, so it is trying to change the rules of the game"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, AMD's products are uncompetative MHz wise, but they are just as competative as Intel's products performance wise. The rules of the game have already changed, processors cannot be judged by MHz anymore. Everybody knows this and this is why AMD is doing what they are doing. It will not be easy, but I commend them for their effort.

Next year, AMD will come out with their hammer line, which I think will prove to be a very good processor. That is what is going to lead AMD into the future. This rivalry isn't going away for quite a while.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, AMD made a bad move imho, this is back-firing bigtime, with bad press all around! AMD should've made that $5,000 commercial and air it alongside of battlebots or robotwars, but they're too cheap and stupid just like their fanbase.

that $5,000 Jerry used it to get some mean a$$ cufflinks and a funky tie.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"