Overclocking a P3 733

G

Could anyone point me to an article about overclocking a P3 733? I've looked but can't find the exact article I need. I know the motherboard I have is stable enough to overclock because of...http://www.motherboards.com/catalog/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=351&reviews_id=271&
yet I can't find any information. The motherboard is an Abit VH6-2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm curious if anyone knows of a reasonable temperature for this chip to run at without more cooling. I thought about getting a new "expensive" fan, but I'd probably do better to get a P3 1 Gig processor. Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sucks to be you. Your proccessor can be overclocked by bus speed to almost 1GHz. Unfortunately this pushes PCI, AGP, and memory speeds beyond their capabilities. Maybe you could trade it to someone for a 700. The 700 hits 933 easily when overclocked to 133FSB, keeping the rest of your components at their proper speeds.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You missed what I said. YOu can overclokc the 733 to around 1GHz, but to do this requires a bus speed increase beyond what the components in your system can deal with. I therefore suggested you trade it for a 700 (as in 700E) because those come with a 100MHz FSB. Then overclock the 700 to 933 by changing the bus speed on the 700 to 133MHz FSB. That way nothing in your system is overclocked except the CPU.

Back to you Tom...