Sign in with
Your question

SOLVED - Windows 7 freezing regularly - looking for help

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 4, 2013 1:41:50 PM

As of yesterday I am getting windows 7 freezes about every hour or two. Freeze as in windows appears locked, can't open programs, change open window etc. No BSODs.

I built the system over a year ago and it has been fine until yesterday, no new programs or updates that I am aware of to start causing these issues. I ran Avast full scan and boot scan with no threats and MalwayreBytes as well with no detected issues.

After rebooting the system multiple times a couple boots said to insert a boot device, as if it did not recognize the SSD drive but after rebooting again it showed up. So I ran chkdsk which didn't find anything serious as well as Seatools long read test which showed no problems either.

Ran memtest through one pass with no errors, haven't tried testing it for a longer period than that though.

I've been running performance monitor to see if anything is going on right before crashing but all activity just drops as if flat-lining and I haven't noticed any kind of spike of activity right before. Weird thing was that my system had frozen but it appeared to still be streaming video to the downstairs ps3 (although it may have already completed the transcode before freezing).

When frozen CAPS lock has no effect and occasionally the system will move a bit as if it has unfrozen and my mouse clicks show up but nothing happens until I power off and reboot.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Need help!
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 2:21:01 PM

check your system for temeratures. something might be overheating
m
l
February 4, 2013 2:33:39 PM

Forgot to mention that I was also looking at a system monitor for temps and nothing was out of the ordinary right up to the freezing issue. I will check it again while I wait for it to lockup again.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 2:46:57 PM

run mem test for longer than one pass
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:28:17 PM

I will definitely do that later today and see if that can be the problem. Thanks.

Any other suggestions on things to test in the meantime?
m
l
February 4, 2013 11:25:27 PM

Aaaand we're fixed. Apparently the M4 SSD drives had a bug that had them shutting down after 5,200 hours. Crazy and would have never thought that could be the problem but after updating the firmware to a newer version everything appears to be working fine again.

So if you have a system that suddenly starts freezing up after 1 hour and occasionally can't see the SSD upon reboot check the firmware!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 11:39:25 PM

magebreaker said:
Aaaand we're fixed. Apparently the M4 SSD drives had a bug that had them shutting down after 5,200 hours. Crazy and would have never thought that could be the problem but after updating the firmware to a newer version everything appears to be working fine again.

So if you have a system that suddenly starts freezing up after 1 hour and occasionally can't see the SSD upon reboot check the firmware!

That is indeed strange! Good job getting a fix on your own though, it's the first step to other opportunities.

You might also want to go into Power Options and see what the setting is for when the HDD turns off. I know it's a SSD but it still applies because the power options are software based.
m
l
!