Sign in with
Your question

Playing DVDs in Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
July 9, 2012 7:18:05 PM

Do you have to buy anything extra to play a DVD in Windows 8? I've heard that the Media Pack is an extra but wasn't sure what it does.

More about : playing dvds windows

a b * Windows 8
July 9, 2012 7:35:14 PM

From the Building Windows 8 Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/03/making-windows-media-center-available-in-windows-8.aspx

Quote:
Given the changing landscape, the cost of decoder licensing, and the importance of a straight forward edition plan, we’ve decided to make Windows Media Center available to Windows 8 customers via the Add Features to Windows 8 control panel (formerly known as Windows Anytime Upgrade). This ensures that customers who are interested in Media Center have a convenient way to get it. Windows Media Player will continue to be available in all editions, but without DVD playback support. For optical discs playback on new Windows 8 devices, we are going to rely on the many quality solutions on the market, which provide great experiences for both DVD and Blu-ray

The media pack installs Media Center, but this implies that third-party software will be needed for DVD playback. VLC media player should do it for free.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:35:43 PM

Correct. They have removed DVD playback from Win8. As I understand things this isn't a big loss as you can still use GOM/VLC to play DVDs. I also have PowerDVD that came with my blue ray player to handle DVDs so its not a big deal. Not sure what else is changed in the media pack.
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2012 7:40:09 PM

Can't you just install the DVD software from a copy of Windows 7?
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:49:47 PM

I would just install GOM/VLC. I do my best to avoid WMP.
m
l
July 11, 2012 2:22:12 PM

Maybe the DVD manufacturers will have a download for something that will work for free.
m
l
!