Nortwood pushed back to january.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The old roadmap indeed said the Northwoods would arrive some time between the end of November and the beginning of January. I had really been hoping for earlier, even pushed for it, but this is not really a change in the roadmap; more like a narrowing of the given parameters. I do agree that it is a disappointment.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Whats interesting is that this gives amd time to prepare throughbred, and Intel should not have northwood out for more than 4 months (at most) before throughbred is released. (according to amd and intels current roadmaps).

Also the new roadmaps seem to have a much less aggressive ramp schedule than before, as if intel is taking it slowly for some reason.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Well, I can say that Intel is most definately still following Moore's law. However, I cannot confirm that everything in that 'roadmap' is actually accurate. Some of it may be wrong, but I cannot really comment on most of what is more than a quarter away.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I will say that I am on the west coast, but that is it. ;)

-Raystonn

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
What is it that determines the release date of the Northwood? If Ray can overclock his to 2.66Ghz, and they can mass produce the Tualatin core (.13 micron process), it must be pretty close to completion.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Intel wants to ensure there are adequate supplies of the processor before releasing it to the public. There is nothing worse than releasing a product that cannot be shipped. As soon as the final stepping is complete mass production will begin. The 1.13GHz Pentium III fiasco will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen again. ;)

-Raystonn

P.S. ever!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
By the way, I have decided to grab a Vapochill once they complete their mPGA478 version and see just how high I can take Northwood. From what I hear you get temperatures of around -20C. I was messing around with water-cooling and peltiers but it turned out to be too much effort setting it all up and ensuring no condensation. Perhaps I can get it to over 3GHz.

-Raystonn

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
<Perhaps I can get it to over 3GHz.>

i would love to see benches on that...

From INTEL's standpoint... how do they feel to again have lost the crown to AMD... even though they will snatch it right back with northwood.... I mean on paper AMD should never be in same paper as Intel in performance.

I also know for a fact you guys have AMD machines running over there.. and have broken them down and analyzed them...thats why i believe you when you say the T-BRED wont be much of an improvement over the PALAMINO...

THe HAMMER is the one i think you guys are more concerned with.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
From what I hear you get temperatures of around -20C
Yeah -20c Idle, no chip connected. I’ve never tried mine with an Intel chip, but here is the lowdown. A Vapo can dissipate approximately 100w of heat. Under load the evaporator temp is going to rise to –11c to –9c. Once its raised past that you’ve lost the battle, at least from my experience.

Schmide

You should thank schnikies your Intel core do not crack easily.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Intel has lots of facilities on the west coast fatty, I know someone from the oregon facility which is in a similar department to rayston, which is why I asked. Does that still make me a moron?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Well click on my name and ask yourself that question again. ;)

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
UGH, you know I have never clicked on your bio page before raystonn. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Yeah is does seem Intel are taking it a little slow, especially with only a 2.6Ghz Northwood by the end of 2002. AMD PROBABLY (guessing) will only need a 2.1 Ghz Athlon XP to keep up with Intel in terms of performance. Which means Hammer Processors might just take AMD to new heights.

So when are Intel's P4 prescott (800Mhz FSB) and Teja (1.6MHz FSB) going to be released ??...most likley in 2003.

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple>

G

..."I mean on paper AMD should never be in same paper as Intel in performance..."

Could you explain that a little further? Are you saying that AMD should not in theory be able to compete with Intel in terms of performance? If that's what you are saying, what is that based on? From what I've come to understand, AMD has a better method of executing instructions in their pipeline than Intel, but Intel is the leader in cycles per second.

Personally, I plan to build my first AMD system shortly. I have decided (well, almost decided, heh) to go with AMD because of price, and also because I want to do my small part to help AMD stay afloat because I firmly believe competition is necessary and healthy.