Noise less server/transportable

Hi all

I just wanted to share with you my most recent project. I wanted to build a noiseless/very low noise server, that had a very special look.

The server consist of the following components:

Via C3 800 mHz processer, ECS microATX MB with SIS 630S chipset (onboard lan, sound, graphics, the works), 512 mb PC133 ram, 40GB quantum lct20 drive and a PSU.

I must say i'm amased with this VIA processer. It runs nice and cool with only a thermaltake volcano 6cu and no fan. Since i only use this rig for a server (No heavy web serving, mostly ftp and stuff) the lower performance of the C3 part doesn't matter at all.

All this was glued into a old briefcase i had, and it now runs with no fans other than a 2 blowers (centrifugal fans) running at low voltage. They are of cousrse controlled by a rheostat.

I can tell you that this rig looks cool, is easy to transport and it is actually impossible to hear if it is turned on or not, unless you are in a COMPLETELY silent room.
The only way you can tell from the front or sides that is isn't a normal briefcase, is that there are a green LED on and a red one blinking, and 2 small switches are there as well (power and reset)

FLAME ME :)
5 answers Last reply
More about noise server transportable
  1. flame you?
    whatever for??? :)

you have a silent rig that does exactly what you want. congradulations.

i wish my rig was a little less noisy... and its not as bad as what it could be!
    1x4600rpm 60mm HSF fan (fop32-1)
    2x3400rpm 30dBa thermaltakes.

ever thought of getting a mid range p4 and removing the fan? :)
    thermal throttling be damned hehe

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
  2. Cool, no pun intended!

Well, what do you actually use it for?

Be careful, nowadays people are likely to get nervous about briefcases with external connections and flashing LEDs....

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
    email for application details
  3. Can you get in through airport security?

Schmide
  4. Hihi .. I haden't even thought of it from that angle ..

I'm pretty certain it would be a rather bad idea to attempt to get it through airport security ...

I use it mainly as a FTP server.

/SleepWalker
  5. >All this was glued into a old briefcase i had

ROFL !! A briefcase !! Good thinking.. how much easier could it be to transport !!

btw, Im investigating a comparable project: I want a set top box to act as DVD player, internet console (connected to my TV), gaming console, DivX server, MP3 player and occasional second PC. Here is what I am thinking of:

- nVidia Nforce board (for onboard 5.1 sound, graphics, & gaming video). It would be *very* nice if someone would make a microATX nForce board.. but I doubt anyone will :-(
    Also, I'd need SVGA out. Will the nForce have this ?
    - Wireless LAN (would need to be very small, so thinking PC Card perhaps or external ? PCI would be too high to my liking). Possibly a riser card with 90° angle to keep a low profile.
    - DVD drive
    - wireless keyboard with integrated trackball/touchpad
    - Duron 1000@600 1.5v or something.. passive cooling only
    - front USB ports
    - hardisk, ram, ...etc.

THis would be a kind of X-box setup, but with all the functionalities of a normal PC (DivX, MP3, PC games, normal LAN). I'd probably configure a dual boot. Linux for divx, dvd, internet & co and Windows for games. I'd be quite a bit more expensive than an X-box though..

Anyone got any suggestions for a case ? Pizza box style, as small as possible, yet big enough to accomodate 1 external 5,25", an nForce board, and if possible with front panel USB ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Servers