Sign in with
Your question

845 is making Intel a load of buck

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 12, 2001 11:48:35 AM

I was passing by a local computer store and there was the dealer trying to sell a PC to some daddy for his junior-highschool daughter:

" P4 1.7 , 128 MB SDRAM , 32 MB video card with TVout, etc."

Woow, what a Bargain , the poor guy must have been thinking!
1.7 Ghz Pentium 4 at such a low price.
It took me a lot of inner strength to resist telling him what a sucker he was held for.

This 845 chipset must have made a lot of $ not only for Intel but for PC dealers as well, selling all those crappy systems with SDRAM and TNT s.

I guess this 845 is even better marketing than AMD's PR.
October 12, 2001 1:42:23 PM

You should have helped him out, now the poor guy has wasted his money. (I doubt even the most hardcore intel fan thinks the 845 with sdram is a good chipset.)

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 12, 2001 3:25:52 PM

Some moron at best buy tried to sell me a similar setup, 1.7 GHz P4 with 128 megs of SDRAM, only $999 with 14-15 inch monitor and POS printer. I told him I'd need 1.7 GHz with the SDRAM to get the performance of a 1.4 and RDram and he was like "Oh I didn't know that". He didn't know a lot of stuff.
It makes me so angry that places like Best buy, Frys, Circuit city, Electronics boutique, and all these gaming/computer stores hire complete morons, I swear if I got a job at one of these places I'd be manager in a month I'd know so much.
At best buy the people in the DVD department didn't know anything about the TVs, or audio recievers. Good lord if you sell DVD players you need to know what TVs and recievers they work with!
Related resources
October 12, 2001 4:20:38 PM

Quote:
if I got a job at one of these places I'd be manager in a month I'd know so much.

Ironically enough, I applied at Circuit City a while back. I would've been the best damn salesman they ever had (or maybe the worst ;) 
They didn't hire me, of course. The manager was probably scared of me.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 12, 2001 4:37:16 PM

>I applied at Circuit City a while back. I would've been the best damn salesman they ever had (or maybe the worst ;) 

wow, fattyboy you like working for da' man and wearing a "hello my name is" badge? (just like matariso! LOL!) why don't you build some systems and sell them yourself? since you know so much; you'd be surprised how much you make.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
October 13, 2001 2:01:51 AM

Run along little troll.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 2:24:04 AM

Problem is I DO work in retail, I KNOW that a customer would much rather spend 3/4 the money to buy a system with 1/2 the performance, they only get those big numbers for bragging rights, not speed.

Back to you Tom...
October 13, 2001 4:22:35 AM

Problem is, if you've noticed, places like Best Buy, Comp USA, and so forth only stock the crappy stuff for mucho bucks, aside from a few items. You would be costing them business, telling everyone that so many of the parts are not the best or the cheapest.

Thought about that many times.....

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 5:16:00 AM

Dude, your getting a Dell!
Gateway don't need gimmics!
You know the lines, they can go to Circuit City and get a 1GHz PIII system for $500. Or was it $600? And that system can't even play 3 year old games in any reasonable resolution/color depth.
They can go to Dell and get a 1.7GHz system for around $1500.
These people don't know RDRAM from sam. They have no idea about 3d. Most techs tell the ones who have problems with games that they need more video ram, so they think a 64MB Rage card is better than a 32MB GTS. Reading up on this stuff takes time. These are the same people who can't tell you how many cycliders their car engine has. In fact many can't even tell you what BRAND of car they drive. So how would you expect them to know more about their computer? They buy 2GHz systems because they think they will bring up web pages faster.

Back to you Tom...
October 13, 2001 5:51:15 AM

Thanks for agreeing with me. :) 

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 6:26:30 AM

I disagreed with you on the point that I could cause these companies to loose business by pointing out the fact that people don't know what they are buying and don't care enough to listen.

Back to you Tom...
October 13, 2001 6:38:53 AM

The fact that I have come to realize is that most of the uninformed people buy P4 with an 845 m/b. That is exactly Intel’s intention: to provide a cheap solution in order to sell more P4 (and chipsets), regardless of the fact that this solution is actually undermining the capabilities of the expensive CPU and that the consumer is getting screwed.
This is so LAME. So much worse than AMD’s PR. At least the consumer that will choose AMD for the wrong reasons (thinking that 1800+ is the actual clock frequency, or that Athlon XP is a prerequisite for WinXP) will still be getting a very good product at a decent price
October 15, 2001 5:41:35 PM

That was about 3 years ago (in high school), before I started hating Circuit City with a passion. I only go there now to make fun of the salesmen. That's a great hobby :) 

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 15, 2001 6:54:32 PM

He's just making fun of you because he got to be the floor mopper in Mcdonalds and didn't have to wear a name badge.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 15, 2001 7:20:44 PM

Quote:
That is exactly Intel’s intention: to provide a cheap solution in order to sell more P4 (and chipsets), regardless of the fact that this solution is actually undermining the capabilities of the expensive CPU and that the consumer is getting screwed.

Actually Intel only released the I845 with sdram support because the Dell's and Gateways demanded it. I think you should throw the blame at who is really to blame here and in this case it is not Intel. You can just as easily throw together a cheap POS AMD system as well.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ncogneto on 10/15/01 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 15, 2001 8:04:46 PM

its not intels foult, the consumers are stupid..intel is just selling them what they want..

this is a real world you know..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2001 11:19:14 PM

Yes, the Dell's and Gateway's demanded cheaper P4 systems... but Intel could have easily added Sdram and <b>DDR</b> support to the 845 chipset. Thus giving consumers <b>performance</b> and less expensive computers. But Intel still chooses to play down DDR and for that Intel should be ridiculed.
October 15, 2001 11:25:32 PM

DDR support in the i845 chipset has been under development for quite a while. It is scheduled to be released in the beginning of next year. It will offer less performance than the i850 DRDRAM solution, but will allow the use of the cheaper DDR SDRAM memory.

As far as ridicule, I would point that in the direction of any company that continues to release buggy chipsets before they are ready. This happened once to Intel in the past, and Intel is determined to ensure it does not happen again. This is part of the reason that chipset validation takes so long. On the other hand, VIA does not seem to mind releasing buggy chipsets, just so long as they release before anyone else. Might I suggest pointing your ridicule in VIA's direction if you are complaining about chipsets.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
October 16, 2001 12:06:48 AM

When I look at that Dell add with the mom and her boy meeting "Steven"... Oh god now I can't help but lauuughhh hard and see how people can do this... Probably the guy himself who was acting was saying "OMG this system is sooo cool, I should buy one too!"
I mean geez, I checked what this PC turned out, it's some 1.5ghz with 128 SDRAM.... But the part that most "shrivels" me in disgust is when he says the part "with an Intel Pentium 4 processor.." then "..Which is soooo nice..." with a big smile and awe... There I just stand in disgust wondering how much consumers are fooled by a low-performing chipset degrading an already poorly performing processor down to something even a 1ghz Duron could beat... (ok I'm dramatizing................... 800 Duron!!! :smile: )
I just can't stand seeing the P4 get any more humiliated! I mean it is truly a wonderful machine at first glance, which Intel screwed halfway in the new architecture design, letting it drop out against Athlon... They have to halt this non-sense and keep some dignity alive until Northwood arrives!! (and I do hope they won't go crazy on pricing either... or else)
Just how many were first amazed when they FIRST heard and read about the P4? I mean to me I was jaw-dropped... to see the first 400mhz Bus, with this new NetBurst technology, with new caching methods, enhanced multimedia, I thought this was the dream machine! Then the RDRAM before I knew more of it, amazed me with its 800mhz speed!
I mean just why did all this end up like some Celeron beefed with 5 gears and a speedometer of 1.3 ghz and over! It's simply weird. I hope that Northwood starts to make AMD's life harder, cuz they have been leading for a while even since Athlon first came out, and Intel has not yet done anything that has beat AMD in all forms. Just saying in raw words that a 1.53ghz (XP1800) processor beats a 2ghz one that costs 3 times more, is enough to humiliate Intel. (in raw words, not technically of course!)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 12:13:19 AM

I think anybody would be foolish to believe that Intel could not have implemented DDR support for the P4 platform a long time ago. The fact is.. is that Intel has been playing down DDR ever since they <b>committed</b> themselves to RDRAM.
As far as VIA is concerned, Im not familiar with there chipset validation process. If you have inside info on how poorly VIA handles chipset validation please do inform the rest of us.
However, what I do know is that VIA has an apparently reliable and fast P4 DDR chipset that consumers want. But Intel for legal and financial reasons is putting its best efforts to make damn sure that consumers never have the actual benefits of using it.
October 16, 2001 12:28:19 AM

"I think anybody would be foolish to believe that Intel could not have implemented DDR support for the P4 platform a long time ago."

I can tell you as fact that the DDR SDRAM version of the i845 is not being held back for any reason other than the standard technical validation process through which any new chipset or feature is sent.

"Intel has been playing down DDR ever since they committed themselves to RDRAM."

Well yes. This is because it is inferior to DRDRAM. The only reason DDR SDRAM is even an option is due to reduced costs for the memory and the aversion some folks have against the company that originally designed it. For these two reasons, the i845 will be released with DDR SDRAM support next quarter for the lower price points.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
October 16, 2001 3:32:36 AM

"why don't you build some systems and sell them yourself? since you know so much; you'd be surprised how much you make"

i am trying that, but who do i sell to? i have to be the worst at finding a buyer
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 3:34:35 AM

"Well yes. This is because it is inferior to DRDRAM."

If your speaking about RDRAM vs. DDR using today's applications I would have to disagree with you. DDR may have less theoretical memory bandwidth but when using <b>real world</b> applications the performance of the "inferior" DDR is on par with RDRAM.
Looking down the road though, I believe RDRAM will have its real world performance advantages over DDR. First, when RDRAM's speed is increased to 133 MHz and then when they increase the width of the data path to 32 bits.
October 30, 2001 12:26:57 AM

yeah, i'm a 16 year old kid in canada that wants to get a weeking job at future shop (soon to be best buy)so that i'd get some working experience on computers. I don't know if they would hire me though. I have my a+, network+ and mcp(which is now crap) and judging by my age, they probably wouldn't hire me. :( 

Hey Baby, I'll install YOUR RAM, only if you boot my Hard drive!
!