Help on getting a Gaming Laptop (Alienware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone, i'm planning on getting an Alienware M15x but i'm wanting to know if this will live up to my expectations of it, i'm looking to get into some heavy gaming which I won't have FPS lag and can record at the same time which refers to Memory or Hard Drive, now i'll need to know if this would run these games on ultra settings fine. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Team Fortress Two, Garry's Mod, The Sims Three (With expansions) and finally Crysis Two. Here are the specs

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 740QM (1.73 Ghz, 6MB, 4C) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English edit
GRAPHICS CARD 1.5GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M edit
MEMORY 6144MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x4096] edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Would I be better with an M15x with these specs or would I go with an earlier version of the Alienware? Thanks everyone.

Even just one post would be appreciated guys ...

No offense man, but it is a Sunday.... and you gave all of 20 minutes for someone to post.

Moving on, does Alienware not offer that laptop with the newer Sandy Bridge processor? They are faster and more efficient then the first gen of Core i processors. Also, are you open to other brands?

Alienware used to be made by Clevo, now its a Dell.

I'd by a Clevo 150HM or 151HM or an Asus G53

So you never heard of Clevo ? ..... that's OK, you never heard of who actually made the Dell / Alienware cause they didn't. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
Clevo sells to Sager, VoodooPC, FalcolNorthwest, WidowPC and other "boutique" vendors

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

I use this site as a starting point cause I like the way they list things side by side.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6

Status
Not open for further replies.