NAV 2004 and Virtumondo virus/adware/trojan horse

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My computer was infected by the above program a couple of weeks ago and I've
been exploring different methods of neutralizing or removing w/out a disk
re-format. I was sent some info by another user about MacAfee's analysis and
solution.( http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/?id=description&virus_k=127767 )
If I'm reading this correctly, it says their VirusScan 7 will detect and
repair this problem, provided I buy the software from them. Symantec doesn't
even have an article in their knowledge base about this virus, though it's
been around quite awhile. Does anyone have knowledge of McFee's reliability
in a situation such as this? Is Norton a weak product? I had it and a number
of adware programs running when I was infected.
4 answers Last reply
More about 2004 virtumondo virus adware trojan horse
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    lib <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote:
    > My computer was infected by the above program a couple of weeks ago
    > and I've been exploring different methods of neutralizing or removing
    > w/out a disk re-format. I was sent some info by another user about
    > MacAfee's analysis and solution.(
    > http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/?id=description&virus_k=127767 ) If
    > I'm reading this correctly, it says their VirusScan 7 will detect and
    > repair this problem, provided I buy the software from them. Symantec
    > doesn't even have an article in their knowledge base about this
    > virus, though it's been around quite awhile. Does anyone have
    > knowledge of McFee's reliability in a situation such as this? Is
    > Norton a weak product? I had it and a number of adware programs
    > running when I was infected.

    Uninstall it and use regedit and delete all files Norton and Symantec.
    Reboot and then reinstall. I will work as if your are a new user just skip
    the registration part.
    I do it all the time.

    With 2004 they limit the number of times you can install it.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    > My computer was infected by the above program a couple of weeks ago and
    I've
    > been exploring different methods of neutralizing or removing w/out a disk
    > re-format. I was sent some info by another user about MacAfee's analysis
    and
    > solution.( http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/?id=description&virus_k=127767 )
    > If I'm reading this correctly, it says their VirusScan 7 will detect and
    > repair this problem, provided I buy the software from them. Symantec
    doesn't
    > even have an article in their knowledge base about this virus, though it's
    > been around quite awhile. Does anyone have knowledge of McFee's
    reliability
    > in a situation such as this? Is Norton a weak product? I had it and a
    number
    > of adware programs running when I was infected.

    go to www.trendmicro.com and get a free online scan. They are familiar with
    it.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > My computer was infected by the above program a couple of weeks ago and I've
    > been exploring different methods of neutralizing or removing w/out a disk
    > re-format.

    Do Spybot Search & Destroy of Lavasoft Adaware detect it ? - if they do,
    they`ll neutralise it for free...

    I`ve got links to a newbie level install guide for Spybot S&D as well as
    links to other (free) anti-spyware stuff online here:

    www.phoenixbbs.co.uk

    Adaware by lavasoft now detects it and removes it. took me 3 scans to get
    it completely gone though.

    The file is:
    C:\windows\system32\lspak.dll

    It found 4 instances of that the first scan and removed 3 of them
    immediately. It required a restart and rescan 2 more times to get rid of
    the last one.

    GL

Dell Computers