Thermal Grease

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I was wondering if Thermal Grease can hurt a processor? I don't see how it could as long as you don't put to little, but if you have a little too much on there does it hurt anything? If it does, whats the best way to get it off?

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
It could connect the bridges on your Athlon for you. That wouldn't be a good thing at all.

To get it off, use some sort of scrub brush like you use when doing the dishes, and/or rubbing alcohol and cotton balls.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Basically if it was doing what you say there then I wouldn't be up and running now? There's not too much more on there, but I also know you don't need too much on there at all anyhow ...

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Fats correct...get some dishsoap and a SOFT toothbrush...scrub the top of the processor down and run under WARM water...let dry an hour and reinstall.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
You might need to use something with a slight edge though, if you are removing the heat pad that comes pre-attached to some HSF's.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
In rare instances asii can short bridges, but most of the time its non conductive. You should not be using too much to avoid thermal issues in the first place.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
if your trying to remove it completly i would suggest that you try lighter fluid and q-tips to gets most of it off then use a little rubbing alcohol to clean the light fluid residue off. has worked fine for me so far.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Thanks for the tips.

I don't really have too much on there, but there is too much I know that. I was reading an article on how to do it so that's why I asked. The system is running fine so I don't think it's a big issue. My temps are really low to so I'm really not worried about it. I was going to get all the thermal grease off of there and re-due it because I got a copper ship for it.

I guess I will see what happens ...

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
good luck to ya then...

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dont use a shim, if your temps are good and you have it installed dont rick frying your core for a shim.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I have a question, I think the instructions for my brother's HSF said to fill the inner square under the T-bird half full with thermal compound to keep condensation from forming. I have never heard of that before, but it doesn't seem to have any problems. Would that really be necessary?

I can see maybe a dab on the temp sensor for better accuracy, but half full seems a bit much. Any thoughts?

**Ouch...I caught my floppy in my PKZipper**

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
ya that was what i was wondering too, go to swiftech's site (www.swiftnets.com). their instructions (for water and air cooled systems) they show applying some silicon II onto the underside of the cpu or in the socket.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Ahh, that is for the thermistor, but nowhere near that much should be applied. You said filling half (half?!) of the socket with it. In actuality, you just put a small amount on the thermistor that will touch your CPU, providing more accurate temps.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

FatBurger

Illustrious
In rare instances asii can short bridges, but most of the time its non conductive.

It doesn't always happen, but something that's made of 96% of the most conductive material in the world (silver, not counting superconductors), is going to conduct electricity at some time or another.

Condensation will only happen if you're using watercooling or a Peltier. I don't know what they were smoking.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Delf

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2001
For those who want to remove the cheap heat pads from heatsink you can use any aceton (sp?) based solvant...

like goof-off...
just be carefule not to spill any on any piece of plastic... can make it melt...

Delf

TRENDING THREADS