Dual Boot creation failure

tony292

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I have a netbook with Windows 7. I tried installing Windows XP on it in an attempt to dual boot. The XP setup copied required files but failed to boot after that. The error shows " ntoskrnl.exe is missing". I tried installing XP once again using CD but still same result and windows doesn't boot. Now I don't have Windows 7 dvd and cannot repair the Windows 7 installation. But I do have a Linux Mint LiveUSB. How can I repair the situation using that? Please reply ASAP!!

Solution
1st - Mostly likely you have corrupted the MBR, probably to the point of requiring you to reinstal Windws 7.
2nd Had you used he Windows 7 back up (located in windows 7 control panel) you would have been able to fix your Windows 7 quickly (about 15 minutes) by just inserting your windows 7 installaion disk (or the "repair disk that you would have been prompted for after the backup image was completed) and selecting repair, then restore from image.
3rd DO NOT recommend using windows 7 and xp off of the same HDD. You would have been better off removing the win7 HDD and instaling XP on a 2nd HDD. I know this requires swapping HDDs - I do it all the time.
4th I do not think that XP has the proper drivers for Your Netbook, so would...

tony292

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Yes, actually Win 7 was on a different drive than the one on which I tried to install Win XP. I want Win 7 running again. And the Win XP installation was incomplete. Yes I do have a Win 7 product key sticker on my netbook. Could you kindly help by telling what options I have?

tony292

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
If reloading of Windows 7 will wipe out my C: then I can't do that. Then I need a way out by installing Linux or using the Live CD. If my data on C: will be intact then kindly tell me your procedure..

1st - Mostly likely you have corrupted the MBR, probably to the point of requiring you to reinstal Windws 7.
2nd Had you used he Windows 7 back up (located in windows 7 control panel) you would have been able to fix your Windows 7 quickly (about 15 minutes) by just inserting your windows 7 installaion disk (or the "repair disk that you would have been prompted for after the backup image was completed) and selecting repair, then restore from image.
3rd DO NOT recommend using windows 7 and xp off of the same HDD. You would have been better off removing the win7 HDD and instaling XP on a 2nd HDD. I know this requires swapping HDDs - I do it all the time.
4th I do not think that XP has the proper drivers for Your Netbook, so would require Using the "F6" option to input newer divers.

Added:
1) Boot to a linux disk and see if you can read your drive so that you can back up your data that yo generated - Windows and program files are toast.
If you did NOT heed the warning about creating a restore disk, then
2 Beg/barrow (DO NOT STEAL) a windows 7 installation disk and install windows 7. DO NOT enter the KEY when prompted. after installation enter YOUR key prior to activation.
3 Only ather alternative to #2 above is to go to Netbook Manuf and Purchase a restore disk.

Solution

tony292

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

How UBCD will be useful? Kindly tell the procedure

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I had a similar problem when I removed my linux installation incorrectly which messed up the mbr. I was able to find a windows 7 repair file online and make it bootable via usb. I loaded the repair file and followed a few commands I found online and everything was back to normal soon enough. IMO windows XP is some weak sauce. It was awesome when it first came out but I don't think you could pay me to use xp again.