Sign in with
Your question

is the celeron 1.2ghz a PIII tualatin?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 3:58:42 AM

besides using a lower bus speed is the 1.2GHz celeron identical to the PIII tualatin with 256KB L2 cache?
October 13, 2001 6:49:34 AM

It uses the tualatin core if that's what you mean.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 7:02:55 AM

Yes. In fact I'm incouraging people to by these and overclock them to 1600 at 133FSB.

Back to you Tom...
Related resources
October 13, 2001 8:58:48 AM

Toms wouldnt make it to 1600. What is the success rate of the OC do you think crash?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 9:10:07 AM

I don't know. I don't know how hard Tom tried. I do know that I am a LOT less conservative with voltage than he is.

Back to you Tom...
October 13, 2001 9:34:50 AM

It couldn’t hurt to be generous with the voltage, that chip runs pretty cool.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
October 13, 2001 9:37:41 AM

Can you run Tualtin celeries in a SMP st up? And if yes, (started a sentence with a conjunction, God help me) what kind of chip set does one need?

Charlie

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 9:46:20 AM

There is a manufacturer who makes an SMP compatable inexpensive Desktop chipset for Tualatins, but I refuse to name them on the basis that I have had to many problems with their products (though there are some who have had few problems).

Back to you Tom...
October 13, 2001 9:53:36 AM

What sort of problem's? Of the "bloody thing just won't boot variety"?

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!
October 13, 2001 10:35:11 AM

Coughviacough.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 7:34:16 PM

No, usually configuration and data integrety problems. As in "the frigen thing reboots whenever windows starts" or "the frigen thing resets every so often on it's own" or "Every so often I go to restart and it says file not found" or "I finally got it to work and it still does a hard crash every two weeks" or "system halted" or "memory error"........
Funny thing, at least half of the systems work perfectly. Pitty those who own the rest.

Back to you Tom...
October 13, 2001 9:36:14 PM

On hardware.fr they have run a P3 1.2 and a celeron 1.2 with 133 fsb.P3 was still 5% faster on clock for clock.

Reason still unknow.

personnaly Agtl.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2001 9:41:02 PM

Yabut yabut yabut yabut-they probably tested the 512K PIII against the 256K Celly. The Celly is the same as the 256k PIII except for the bus speed.

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2001 7:45:50 PM

The article says that that tualatin celery is between 1.5 - 7.5% slower than the 1.2ghz PIII tualatin... hmmm... perhaps Intel has crippled it. If I remember correctly with the Celeron II’s, besides reducing the L2 cache size to 128KB, Intel also purposely hampered its performance by reducing the L2 associativity to 4-way vs. 8-way found on the PIII coppermines, just to make it slower. Could this be the case with these tualatin’s?
Whatever the case, the tualatin celery seems to be good performer and appears to overclock very well. Considering that it will be inexpensive it seems like a winner.
More good news is that an adapter card is available from Power leap that will allow tualatin cpu's to run on most slot 1 BX boards... just when I thought the awesome BX chipset was finally about to fade away is gets another rejuvenation... amazing!
October 14, 2001 11:57:27 PM

wouldnt be suprises...
intel loves doing that kind of stuff to their chips. (thus why cellerons have always been crippled pentiums and not a seperate product line)

one wonders what bad things they can do to the P4 celleron version when it finally arrives?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2001 12:52:39 AM

An adapter card for FC-PGA2 to Slot 1? Where?

Back to you Tom...
October 15, 2001 1:21:24 AM

where in USA can I buy a Celeron 1200 chip?
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2001 1:41:21 AM

I don't think they're retail yet.

Back to you Tom...
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2001 1:32:41 PM

Nope, that's been around a long time and only works with Coppermines to the best of my knowlege. The Celeron II is the Coppermine Celeron from 533 to 1.1GHz. The 1.2GHz Celeron is the Tualatin.

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2001 2:23:04 PM

here is a quote from the website:

"Supports the latest .13 micron Intel "Tualatin" processors, including the 1.2 GHz Celeron with 256K L2 cache and Data Prefetch Logic."

"Supports the "Tualatin" 1.475 VCORE requirement even on motherboards that don't."

however, it also says:
"Note: Does NOT support SMP for the Pentium-III-S processor."

too bad.. but still, seems a viable option for BX or other slot 1 boards. I'd be *very* curious to see how well a venerable BX board with 100 Mhz fsb /ram would perform with a Tualitin P3

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2001 5:11:49 PM

I didn't see where they said that on their site. I guess I'll have to look harder. Unless you have a link and would like to lead me to the paragraph.

Back to you Tom...
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 4:08:13 PM

Ahh, I looked up the iP3 instead of the iP3T. I didn't even see a link for the iP3T on their main page. And they don't have it in their price list yet.

Back to you Tom...
October 16, 2001 6:16:03 PM

iP3 is a REALLY bad name for a product.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 7:11:57 PM

Yes, if the PII would have been on a socket they would have had an "iP2" converter for P-PRO platforms!

Back to you Tom...
October 16, 2001 7:51:31 PM

I'm the PPro!!
lol

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2001 8:27:53 PM

I may be one of the few who will admit it but I work for Intel at the PTD(Portland Technology Development) site. We get to have the vender demo chips we send out after they come back. I got ahold of one we haven't released yet. A 1.333ghz P-IIIS with 512kb L2. (Thats 10x multiplyer at 133mhz fsb) I was able to tweek the FSB as high as 156mhz for a total speed of 1.556ghz. It was stable at 1.549ghz (154mhz FSB) at the native core voltage of 1.475v. For some reason this board would not increase the core voltage in CMOS setup. I may try it useing the jumpers later. I was useing a ASUS TUA266 MB(supports DDR and SDRAM) with 133mhz SDRAM. I am going to try for 1.6ghz when I pick up some good DDR mem. I can post the WCPUID screen captures if anyone wants to see them. I can say that the Tualatin is a KICK ASS cpu. I just wish we had had it about a year ago.
To answer the original question of is the 1.2 celeron at Tualatin the answer is yes of course. And yes it is cripled a bit, however not why you think. We use the chips that don't pass all the memory tests for 512kb L2 by disableing half of it. Due to thet we also have to set a few of the other settings down a bit. This is how we are able to sell them so cheep. It's better than throwing them away. They still go through all the tests for reliability so they aren't going to fail. Just set up a bit different.

Mr. Quark

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MrQuark on 10/17/01 04:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 17, 2001 9:46:25 PM

Portland, OR?
Me and Matisaro are your neighbors, apparently :) 

And yes, everyone on this board agrees that the Tully is quite the core.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2001 4:08:32 AM

You might try an Asus TUSL2-C M/b. I have one with and a Tualatin 1.2g PIII. I cannot get the Vcore below 1.52V. It seems to run ok and the idle temp is about 40C.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tiago50 on 10/22/01 00:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2001 2:11:24 PM

> A 1.333ghz P-IIIS with 512kb L2
> It was stable at 1.549ghz (154mhz FSB) at the native core >voltage of 1.475v.

Holy crap.. thats likely to be faster than any 2 ghz P4 or 1800+ AXP. Im pretty sure intel could ship this cpu like right now, but they hold it back not to confuse the customers.

I really hope they will sell it for reasonable prices in a reasonable time frame. Tualatin would have been a worthy Athlon/XP oponent, had it been released on time. P3/tualatin didnt deserve to die like this as a castrated core with a "celeron" badge on it. It should have been intels flagship while waiting for Northwood.

---- Quote of the day: "I hope admin can delete massages.."
October 23, 2001 10:16:22 AM

Yep, portland is where Fatty and I reside, yet to meet, but perhaps one day.

BB, but the xp1800 can be overclocked to knock the .13 p3 back into second as well, but the .13 p3 core is indeed nice.

ON a side note, I went to frys to return an ecs board I purchased for a friend of mine(built him a pc) and There was a guy at the frys return area, and he asked me what I thought of the board. I told him I had heard it was awesome, but I wasn't at the return area for nothing.(ps, I spent 3 hours at frys, they allowed me to try out different boards before returning and out of the 3 I tried none worked. I knew it wasnt my other hardware cause I had swapped everything else out on the first board, no more ecs for me!) Anyways. The guy told me that anand and toms hardware had given the board EXCELLENT ratings, and hearing my home away from home(toms) mentioned I asked him if he posted on the message boards, he said he did not but he read them avidly. I asked him if he had read any posts from Matisaro, and to my utter joy he had(im famous yipppeee!), I then informed him I was the one and only Matisaro and we exchanged plesantries. If that person reads this I encourage you to create a name and post, join the discussion!

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
!