is the celeron 1.2ghz a PIII tualatin?

G

besides using a lower bus speed is the 1.2GHz celeron identical to the PIII tualatin with 256KB L2 cache?

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Can you run Tualtin celeries in a SMP st up? And if yes, (started a sentence with a conjunction, God help me) what kind of chip set does one need?

Charlie

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is a manufacturer who makes an SMP compatable inexpensive Desktop chipset for Tualatins, but I refuse to name them on the basis that I have had to many problems with their products (though there are some who have had few problems).

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, usually configuration and data integrety problems. As in "the frigen thing reboots whenever windows starts" or "the frigen thing resets every so often on it's own" or "Every so often I go to restart and it says file not found" or "I finally got it to work and it still does a hard crash every two weeks" or "system halted" or "memory error"........
Funny thing, at least half of the systems work perfectly. Pitty those who own the rest.

Back to you Tom...

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
On hardware.fr they have run a P3 1.2 and a celeron 1.2 with 133 fsb.P3 was still 5% faster on clock for clock.

Reason still unknow.

personnaly Agtl.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

G

The article says that that tualatin celery is between 1.5 - 7.5% slower than the 1.2ghz PIII tualatin... hmmm... perhaps Intel has crippled it. If I remember correctly with the Celeron II’s, besides reducing the L2 cache size to 128KB, Intel also purposely hampered its performance by reducing the L2 associativity to 4-way vs. 8-way found on the PIII coppermines, just to make it slower. Could this be the case with these tualatin’s?
Whatever the case, the tualatin celery seems to be good performer and appears to overclock very well. Considering that it will be inexpensive it seems like a winner.
More good news is that an adapter card is available from Power leap that will allow tualatin cpu's to run on most slot 1 BX boards... just when I thought the awesome BX chipset was finally about to fade away is gets another rejuvenation... amazing!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
wouldnt be suprises...
intel loves doing that kind of stuff to their chips. (thus why cellerons have always been crippled pentiums and not a seperate product line)

one wonders what bad things they can do to the P4 celleron version when it finally arrives?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, that's been around a long time and only works with Coppermines to the best of my knowlege. The Celeron II is the Coppermine Celeron from 533 to 1.1GHz. The 1.2GHz Celeron is the Tualatin.

Back to you Tom...

G

here is a quote from the website:

"Supports the latest .13 micron Intel "Tualatin" processors, including the 1.2 GHz Celeron with 256K L2 cache and Data Prefetch Logic."

"Supports the "Tualatin" 1.475 VCORE requirement even on motherboards that don't."

however, it also says:
"Note: Does NOT support SMP for the Pentium-III-S processor."

too bad.. but still, seems a viable option for BX or other slot 1 boards. I'd be *very* curious to see how well a venerable BX board with 100 Mhz fsb /ram would perform with a Tualitin P3

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

G

Crash, you still sleeping ? The very same link velosite provided, half way down the page under "special features".

Here it is again (I'll link it for ya):
<A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm" target="_new">http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm</A>

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip