Switching from 32 to 64 bit...

crazy shadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
when i do this, can i just literally go to computer and right click copy and paste my laptops entire hard drive contents and put them on a ext. hdd? do the switch then just put it all back after i make the switch to 64 bit?

or am i grossly oversimplifying it?

any links to step by step instructions would be appreciated... the ext. hdd i have has more than enough memory to house my entire internal drive for a swap or whatever..

going from 32 -> 64 bit reqires reformating drive and a new install.
For example if you use a windows 7 64 Bit upgrde disk and try to do an upgrade this is the warning you will get - it does copy your files over to a directory called Windows.old I THINK.

PS unless you are planning on increasing your Ram to above 4 gigs, while there are some advantages, performance wise not a biggy.

crazy shadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
well im doing because i upgraded the ram from 2 to 4 a few months ago to do more video editing...then i learned that a PC wont use 4 gb of ram unless its 64 bit....

i checked and my laptop uses 2.87 of 4 gb...so i want to switch it to 64 to use it all...

you both said different things...... so ur saying in the end all i need to reinstall are the PROGRAMS? and thats it? thats what u mean when u say applications?

crazy shadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

that would be fine because the program i use requires 3 gb lol....so id be better i think

First - 32 bit does allow for upto installed 4 gigs. The problem is that includes ALL memory. So with 32 bit you have to factor out any dedicated memory (Not one-2-one) reason most 32 bit systems show around 3.2 -> 3.5 Gigs USABLE. Your "avialable 2.87 is probably due to below comment.

NOW for a laptop, a 2nd consideration is the Graphics memory - is it dedicated, or shared. Have feeling it is shared for your "ATI Radeon™ 3100 Graphics" which means that 64 bitwill not make any difference as shared means BARROWED form System memory.

You would have to go to say 8 gigs ram & 64 bit OS.

NOTE: reason I said 8 gigs is that the ram only comes in 2 or 4 gig modules, Yes you could stick in a 2 and a 4 gig module for 6 Gigs, BUT that would drop memory performance to single channel vs using two modules the same size in daul channel mode.

crazy shadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

ohhh ok thanks yeah i read up alot on ram when i went to crucial

ok so id have to double it again lol wow....oh well i guess i wont, ill just get a new laptop altogether..