Athlon XP: The beggining of the end for AMD?

Blade2001

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I read the recent article about the new Athlon XP and its PR-rating. I really cant understand why AMD didnt just raise the clock frequencies on its processor, instead of doing what it did. Cause lets face it. The un-expirienced and miss informed potential buyers, will definetely go for the processor with the higher frequency clock. Cyrix tried the same PR rating tactic a few years back and ofcourse it had no positive results what so ever. In my opinion... AMD has already lost the battle...

G

The Athlon is a much more complex piece of circuitry than the PIV. Simply put the PIV is a PIII with its guts ripped out, thats why intel can make them run that fast. The AMD, however, experiences problems with heat at higher clock frequencies. Therefore AMD can't push it up any higher than it already is. Now for those of us with good heat sinks that can handle the heat, we know that it can go quite a bit higher than that... thats called overclocking.

Now to be blunt, this is the situation (in my eyes, and this is a dramatization):
Intel PIV = .5x AMD Athlon , therefore PIV runs 2x as fast (in Ghz(.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

G

i reckon they should have blown-off the whole comparison thing. sell it as athlon xp a, b, c or something. or give them a funky name. how about the Athlon XP-GL, or Athlon XP-SSS. it works for cars. :lol:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It wasn't Cyrix's PR rating that made the Cyrix processors fail to be popular, it was the lack of ads and performance that let Cyrix down.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
how many people have to bring this up? really who gives a s##t. i don't care what they name it, as long as it performs like it does. and really i do not think their going out of business anytime soon. i don't understand why people get so caught up in how someone is marketing this, and who's got the number one sales with that, etc, etc. if that's how you base the purchase of your cpu then so be it. me i like looking at the PERFORMANCE first, then price, nothing more. AMD can give their cpus any name they want, i'll still buy em, just so long as they perform they way they should.

G

Your original point regarding Cyrix is right on the money, as far as I'm concerned. I have in my office a Cyrix 200+... This was a chip that ran "just as fast as an Intel 200Mhz", but was actually operating at 150Mhz. It used a 75Mhz clock, doubled internally to 150Mhz - which gave it an edge over the Intel 200, which was 66Mhz tripled to 199Mhz (~200Mhz). It had slightly better math and so forth, because of the higher original clock. It really ran "as fast as" a 200Mhz Intel.

Nobody cared. It wasn't 200, and the bad will generated in consumers for this apparent deception was possibly the beginning of the end for Cyrix.

I salute AMD for their technology, and as long as the tech is good - I'll always choose it over Intel. But this "1800+" naming scheme is a mistake. Even Intel has tried this and failed miserably. I just hope AMD figures it out in time to survive.

Scott

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
marketing is important, especially for a company like AMD. yah.. you and the majority of this forum community base their purchase off of perfomance/stability. but this community is not the masses. people see 2ghz and think "ok.. so this one is faster".

its just like how companies such as gateway and dell do so well. they advertise the latest processor for "under 1000 dollars". someone sees it and thinks "hey! thats fast and its cheap too!" meanwhile every other component in the computer package is generic. the pc is slow.. and its really not cheap or a good deal.

so people worry about AMD, we want them to be able to sell more product and make some money. im sure we all, including hardcore intel fans, do not want AMD to go out of business. i do agree with you though with the idea that this will not happen. i think AMD has enough of a loyal customer base to keep them around for a while.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
and yet i dont understand, did amd think the public would see the 1800+ and think its a 1800Mhz?
coz there are newspapers and people can read..

I bet intel will make sure the public would be aware of this if this will become what amd want it to.

Althogh i doubt they would..telling every one that the 1800+ IS actually as fast as a P41800..=/

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
But the general public doesn't give a damn about the tehc section of teh newspaper;0 Also, Blade dude, u dan't just go raising clock speed that easily.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So long as AMD chips are performing as good or better against the Intel standard, people will still happily buy AMD chips. I would love to have one of the new XPs no matter what they call it.

AMD does need to at least come close to the clock Intel is running or they will be in trouble. For example if AMD's fastest chip was a 2G pr3000+ and Intel was running 5G it wouldn't matter that AMD has better performance per clock. All that really matters is total performance and right now AMD is doing great in that respect.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm... AMD, to me, is stupid. They can release higher clocked chips if they want, but they're not. Why don't they release 2.2GHz XP's to compete with the P4's? It's almost as if they're playing games with Intel, experimenting. Like they have something huge coming along and there not worried at all about whats presently at hand...

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
It's called the Hammer.

:smile:

Anyways, they can't easily make super highly clocked chips, and even if they could, you wanna rake in as much cash as possible from the public, by releasing them incrementally.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
He must be Jerry Sanders in disguise. ;)

Seriously though, they can safely take the Athlon XP up to 1.7GHz and give it whatever PR rating they desire. Anything past that is up in the air.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Looking at some newly found German AMD roadmaps, it appears that the Athlon XP will be taken up to 1900+ (1.6GHz) and then it's time for the Thoroughbred.

http://www.threecom.de/artikel/amdround1/

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Do we know anything about the improvements the Thoroughbred will have other than the .13 micron process?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I do not know much about it; I don't think much info on it has been released at all. My post was just intended to show the timeframe.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They said themselves in one of the press releases.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
German?? BoonDude make it <A HREF="http://www.threecom.de/artikel/amdround1/" target="_new">CLICK</A>

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 10/13/01 10:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oooo
imagine a world with no AMD

intel chips would suddenly jump in price... back up to the good old days where it cost $600 US for an average chip...

and they could take their sweet time blocking ddr p4 chipsets and stretch out the delay of the northwood for ages

umm... no thanx

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
schw33333t...just over 40% less power consumed clock-for-clock!

...and sheee0t...the P4 consumes even more power than Intel's datasheet lets on!

On another note...AthlonMP 1.5GHz CPUs are apparently for sale <A HREF="http://www.microdirect.co.uk/pricelist/cpus.htm" target="_new">here.</A> But doesn't it seem odd that the 1.5GHz AthlonMP is priced *cheaper* than the 1.466GHz AthlonXP?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."