Dundjinni Mapping Software

Has anyone actually used this program to make battlemaps for their
games? How easy is it to use or customize? I'd like to be able to
print out color custom battle maps, and from the Website it looks pretty
sweet, but I'd like to have some real-world input from users.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:55:04 -0700, Some Guy <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote:

> Has anyone actually used this program to make battlemaps for their
> games? How easy is it to use or customize? I'd like to be able to
> print out color custom battle maps, and from the Website it looks pretty
> sweet, but I'd like to have some real-world input from users.

Try the demo and decide for yourself. I just did today. I'm thinking of
buying it.

--
In an old 1E campaign I played in, there was this half-dwarf, half-orc
character. They called him a dorc. -Solomoriah

Varl wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:55:04 -0700, Some Guy <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone actually used this program to make battlemaps for their
>> games? How easy is it to use or customize? I'd like to be able to
>> print out color custom battle maps, and from the Website it looks
>> pretty sweet, but I'd like to have some real-world input from users.
>

> Try the demo and decide for yourself. I just did today. I'm thinking of
> buying it.

I did download the demo. When I tried to install it, however, it told
me my mojo was not
rising. Specifically, that I had Java 1.4.1_01 and that I needed Java
1.4.2_05 or higher
to run. According to Apple, the minimun OS that can run the latter is
10.3 and I'm on
10.2, so I'd need to spend about a hundred bucks on the upgrade to OS X.
I'm willing to
do it if Dundjinni really is as cool as it looks and is easy for a
non-artist to use, but other
than that I don't feel a need to upgrade my OS. (Actually, since Tiger
is coming out on
the 29th, I'll probably wait until then and go directly to 10.4.)

But if you're happy with it, that's a good sign. Thanks!

Some Guy wrote:
> I did download the demo. When I tried to install it, however, it told
> me my mojo was not
> rising. Specifically, that I had Java 1.4.1_01 and that I needed Java
> 1.4.2_05 or higher
> to run. According to Apple, the minimun OS that can run the latter is
> 10.3 and I'm on
> 10.2, so I'd need to spend about a hundred bucks on the upgrade to OS X.

http://dundjinni.com/info/updates.htm

Have you tried to install the higher version anyways? It might take despite
Apple's reservations.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

~consul wrote:
> Some Guy wrote:
>
>> I did download the demo. When I tried to install it, however, it told
>> me my mojo was not
>> rising. Specifically, that I had Java 1.4.1_01 and that I needed Java
>> 1.4.2_05 or higher
>> to run. According to Apple, the minimun OS that can run the latter is
>> 10.3 and I'm on
>> 10.2, so I'd need to spend about a hundred bucks on the upgrade to OS X.
>

> http://dundjinni.com/info/updates.htm
>
> Have you tried to install the higher version anyways? It might take
> despite Apple's reservations.

I had the same skeptical inclinations you did. I downloaded the Java
app but it wouldn't install.

That's OK. I'll make the leap to Tiger in a couple of weeks here and
then install Dundjinni. I actually went
ahead and bought it anyway in preparation for the OS upgrade.

Varl wrote:
> Try the demo and decide for yourself. I just did today. I'm thinking
of
> buying it.

Same. Very nice program, I must say. Only lacks in the overland map
category.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:56:19 -0700, Some Guy <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote:

> But if you're happy with it, that's a good sign. Thanks!

I went ahead and bought it. After playing a bit with the limited tiles in
the demo, I came up with a fairly decent map. I've always liked the
topdown view of floorplans for gaming anyway, so 90 bucks seemed like a
small price to pay for the ability to create these for my game sessions. I
hope it has a snap function, though. Trying to get those tiles to line up
perfectly with the existing grid can be interesting at times.

--

Varl wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:56:19 -0700, Some Guy <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote:
>
>> But if you're happy with it, that's a good sign. Thanks!
>

> I went ahead and bought it. After playing a bit with the limited tiles
> in the demo, I came up with a fairly decent map. I've always liked the
> topdown view of floorplans for gaming anyway, so 90 bucks seemed like a
> small price to pay for the ability to create these for my game sessions.
> I hope it has a snap function, though. Trying to get those tiles to
> line up perfectly with the existing grid can be interesting at times.

It does, under the "Tools" menu. I downloaded the demo and read it,
since I'm going to have to wait
until 04/29:

http://www.dunjinni.com/info/updates.htm

Scroll down to the Tutorials section and download the "Jailbreak" PDF.

Some Guy wrote:
> That's OK. I'll make the leap to Tiger in a couple of weeks here and
> then install Dundjinni. I actually went
> ahead and bought it anyway in preparation for the OS upgrade.

I have it, winxp, I bought it at Gen Con SoCal and have used it just a little,
due to time. Mostly just a couple of landscapes, some oceanic islands scenes and
an aerial roost for now, and I will put buildings up later. It's great stuff.
--

~consul wrote:
> Some Guy wrote:
>
>> That's OK. I'll make the leap to Tiger in a couple of weeks here and
>> then install Dundjinni. I actually went
>> ahead and bought it anyway in preparation for the OS upgrade.
>

> I have it, winxp, I bought it at Gen Con SoCal and have used it just a
> little, due to time. Mostly just a couple of landscapes, some oceanic
> islands scenes and an aerial roost for now, and I will put buildings up
> later. It's great stuff.

Thanks much for your input!

It is a pretty nice program. I have it on Windows XP, and had your problem
with installation; however, you just have to download the correct J2RE...
the version wanted can be found at the Sun Microsystems's archives. It is :
1.4.2_02, I think...
Very nice textures, and object for most of them...
Good luck!
T.H.

Tomas Hatala wrote:
> It is a pretty nice program. I have it on Windows XP, and had your problem
> with installation; however, you just have to download the correct J2RE...
> the version wanted can be found at the Sun Microsystems's archives. It is :
> 1.4.2_02, I think...
> Very nice textures, and object for most of them...
> Good luck!
> T.H.

Unfortunately, that version of Java won't work with my OS (I know, I
already tried).

However, it's only a week until 10.4 comes out, so I'll just wait
another week.

Thanks, though!