Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to print in black when the color ink is empty

Last response: in Windows 7
February 4, 2013 9:35:26 PM

My color cartridge is fairly new. I don't print a lot. I know it isn't empty. How can I refresh it so it will print?
February 4, 2013 9:44:27 PM

you cant. they have a chip inside that measures how much ink you have left. Its usually not accurate. If one goes out, the printer doesn't work. I know its bs, but thats how they force you to buy more ink. Alternatively you could buy offbrand ink on ebay which may have a reset-able chip. Im using one right now and I just refill the cartridges when they run low. So far I only spent $25 on ink the last 2 years.
m
l
February 4, 2013 9:51:01 PM

Oftentimes, there are ways around it. What is the make and model of printer?
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2013 9:51:54 PM

Is there some way to override the chip? I spend way too much on ink for what little I use a printer. Just want it to work when I need it.
m
l
February 4, 2013 9:52:36 PM

Kodak ESP 5 all-in-one
m
l
February 4, 2013 9:58:34 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_6944725_print-color-ink.html

Maybe this.

Reason I'm curious is because my girlfriend's Brother printer does the same stupid crap. I forget what I did, but I essentially convinced the printer that the color ink was full and it printed black and white just fine.
m
l
March 6, 2014 3:06:25 PM

wiggbot said:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6944725_print-color-ink.html

Maybe this.

Reason I'm curious is because my girlfriend's Brother printer does the same stupid crap. I forget what I did, but I essentially convinced the printer that the color ink was full and it printed black and white just fine.

Why can't you just replace the color cartridges with colored water. The sensor will know its full, What's the diff?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2014 6:59:31 PM

dixiedarlin12000 said:
Why can't you just replace the color cartridges with colored water. The sensor will know its full, What's the diff?

What? Water?
The cartridge must be reset to 0 pages when refilled with INK.
I have a Canon, bought cartridges and a USB resetter on Ebay, and can refill and reset my cartridges till they wear out.

m
l
March 7, 2014 12:05:18 PM

AxlMyk said:
dixiedarlin12000 said:

What? Water?
The cartridge must be reset to 0 pages when refilled with INK.
I have a Canon, bought cartridges and a USB resetter on Ebay, and can refill and reset my cartridges till they wear out..
A resetter? hmm, that's an interesting approach. That's certainly an option, or I could get a parallel to USB converter and hook up my old laser printer. I'm not impressed with this printer, and there are a lot on craigslist for $20. Not Canon's or Kodak's, just Brother's. Thank you for your help.

m
l
!