Sign in with
Your question

Boot and Execution issues - new pc build

Last response: in Windows 7
February 4, 2013 9:44:24 PM

Hey there. I recently built a new PC for gaming and audio production. My current setup looks like this:

Case: Antec Three Hundred
Processor: AMD FX 8350 8-core
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
Graphics: MSI Twin Frozer 2gb Radeon
Sound: Asus Xonar DS 192kbps
HDD'S: Seagate 1tb 7200 rpm (new), Seagate 250gb 7200rpm (old)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb (2x8gb) DDR3 1600
PSU: Corsair 600w
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I had an issue with the 24-pin connector on the motherboard, so I had to exchange with another model. Now it works fine.

When I first got the machine up and running, I booted into my old drive (since I'm lazy) and installed windows 7 on my new drive. I got errors installing the drivers on the old drive, and may have possibly scooped up a virus or something, because anytime I opened a program or tried to use control panel, the curser would show that its loading but nothing ever happened. So I thought, oh well, I at least have the new drive.

I install the drivers but then have the same problem. Programs will not open (a game ran once) but now just hang there and do nothing. I have tried reseating the CPU, reinstalling drivers and bios, and can not virus scan due to being unable to open programs. What should I do? Is this a hardware or software problem?

So not only are my programs not running but the pc will only boot a few times before it just sits there on a black screen before I have to remove the bios battery for a reset.

If its of any importance, right clicking Computer shows memory as 16gb installed, 7.97gb usable.
February 4, 2013 9:56:37 PM

Take the old drive out. Perform a clean install of windows in the new drive. Put the old drive back in.

Why are you installing windows on the new drive, then installing drivers on the old drives windows installation?
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 10:00:09 PM

if your still booting off the old hard drive it having issues because you have two sets of mb drivers installed in windows. to fix this you have to boot into safe mode and remove all of the devices under windows device manager it may fix the issue. your better off booting off the windows 7 install cd and install it on your new hard drive. i would also check that the mb bios has all of the patches installed and use cpu-z and gpu-z to check that your ram and video card are fine. with cpu-z the spd tab will show you your ram rated speed and voltage.
Related resources
February 6, 2013 2:51:24 PM

First of all, thanks for the replies!

Ok, so I removed the old drive, and reinstalled windows on the new one. Everything installed and powered up fine. I first installed MOBO drivers, in order to have Internet, then performed windows update so that I could install the other drivers (video card, sound, etc) - but now, after windows update, the screen stays black upon startup, and won't boot into windows. I wonder why windows update is damaging my boot cycle? Is this the case?
February 6, 2013 6:36:32 PM

Sounds like window update might have been interrupted. That usually happens if the machine is turned off/restarted or otherwise loses power during the update.

Do you have a UPS?
February 6, 2013 6:57:31 PM

I don't. Although now that you mention it, I think I had to power it down before it finished, due to the fact that it never actually powered up after updating - it hung on the "MSI Military Class Mainboard" (bios?) load screen for about 10 minutes, never actually pulling up the windows load screen.
February 6, 2013 7:20:10 PM

You might be able to pull it back up with windows recovery. Otherwise, you'll need to start with a new windows installation again.
February 7, 2013 12:47:02 AM

Will do. Is it common for the pre-windows startup to take so long after a windows update?
!