And Another Thing

Last response: in Video Games
April 17, 2005 10:02:40 PM

While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5 PHB with a
black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it. It said it was the
"Special Edition." What the heck is special about it besides the cover?
Is that it?

More about : thing

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:14:59 AM

Some Guy wrote:

> While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5
> PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it.
> It said it was the "Special Edition." What the heck is
> special about it besides the cover?
> Is that it?

That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

"Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
> While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5 PHB with a
> black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it. It said it was the
> "Special Edition." What the heck is special about it besides the cover?
> Is that it?

It's the widescreen version with the attached directors AND special effects
director's commentary...

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
April 18, 2005 5:23:25 AM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:14:59 -0400, Nikolas Landauer
<dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:

>Some Guy wrote:
>>
>> While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5
>> PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it.
>> It said it was the "Special Edition." What the heck is
>> special about it besides the cover?
>> Is that it?
>
>That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.

Isn't that the leather-bound PHB that was supposed to come out, right?
--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:28:20 AM

Matthias <matthias_mls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:14:59 -0400, Nikolas Landauer
><dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:
>
>>Some Guy wrote:
>>>
>>> While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5
>>> PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it.
>>> It said it was the "Special Edition." What the heck is
>>> special about it besides the cover?
>>> Is that it?
>>
>>That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.
>
> Isn't that the leather-bound PHB that was supposed to come out, right?

It did. I saw it when it came out.

The guy at the FLGS said he actually sold some.

That rather surprised me. Of course, he also tells me that he sees a
fair amount of interest in Valar Project's _Guide to Erotic Fantasy_
(IIRC title)... which floors me.

Keith
April 18, 2005 12:34:52 PM

Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> Some Guy wrote:
>>
>> While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5
>> PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it.
>> It said it was the "Special Edition." What the heck is
>> special about it besides the cover?
>> Is that it?
>
> That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.

You recall incorrectly. They initially announced it wouldn't have errata, so as
not to anger people by "suggesting" (though the idea hardly merits the word)
that you needed to buy the Special Edition to get the errata included, but
reaction from the fanbase quickly suggested that they would get more people to
buy it if they included the errata.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:44:23 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:28:20 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
scribed into the ether:

>Matthias <matthias_mls@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:14:59 -0400, Nikolas Landauer
>><dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:

>>>That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.
>>
>> Isn't that the leather-bound PHB that was supposed to come out, right?
>
>It did. I saw it when it came out.
>
>The guy at the FLGS said he actually sold some.
>
>That rather surprised me. Of course, he also tells me that he sees a
>fair amount of interest in Valar Project's _Guide to Erotic Fantasy_
>(IIRC title)... which floors me.

If it is the one I saw in a B&N, it has photographs of nekkid people.

But none of them hot.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:49:03 PM

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> > Some Guy wrote:
> > >
> > > While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped
> > > 3.5 PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag
> > > on it. It said it was the "Special Edition." What the
> > > heck is special about it besides the cover?
> > > Is that it?
> >
> > That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.
>
> You recall incorrectly. They initially announced it
> wouldn't have errata, so as not to anger people by
> "suggesting" (though the idea hardly merits the word)
> that you needed to buy the Special Edition to get the
> errata included, but reaction from the fanbase quickly
> suggested that they would get more people to buy it if
> they included the errata.

Mea culpa, then. I must have heard the initial announcement, and
overlooked any modification.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:43:31 PM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:28:20 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
> scribed into the ether:
>
>>That rather surprised me. Of course, he also tells me that he sees a
>>fair amount of interest in Valar Project's _Guide to Erotic Fantasy_
>>(IIRC title)... which floors me.
>
> If it is the one I saw in a B&N, it has photographs of nekkid people.
>
> But none of them hot.

That's the one.

Apparently there are people who treat it as erotica or something,though.
I'm told that a couple came into the FLGS holding hands, bought it, and
walked out somewhat furtively, "I've got a secret"-style".

Keith
April 18, 2005 8:36:04 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:14:59 -0400, Nikolas Landauer
<dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Some Guy wrote:
> >
> > While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5
> > PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it.
> > It said it was the "Special Edition." What the heck is
> > special about it besides the cover?
> > Is that it?
>
> That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.

It does have the nerfed Righteous Might, however.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:14:59 -0400, Nikolas Landauer
> <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> Some Guy wrote:
>>>
>>> While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5
>>> PHB with a black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it.
>>> It said it was the "Special Edition." What the heck is
>>> special about it besides the cover?
>>> Is that it?
>>
>> That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.
>
> It does have the nerfed Righteous Might, however.

They nerfed Righteous Might?!?

<Checks SRD>

The bastards!

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Nikolas Landauer wrote:

> Mea culpa, then.

Not to worry. :)

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:12:37 PM

"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in

>> It does have the nerfed Righteous Might, however.
>
> They nerfed Righteous Might?!?
>
> <Checks SRD>
>
> The bastards!

I am afaird to look what have they done now?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:13:02 PM

freakybaby wrote:
> "Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in
>

>>> It does have the nerfed Righteous Might, however.
>>
>> They nerfed Righteous Might?!?
>>
>> <Checks SRD>
>>
>> The bastards!
>

> I am afaird to look what have they done now?

Just a comprehensive downsizing of power. The PHB version gets you doubled
size, +8 STR, +4 CON, +4 natural armour enhancement, DR 5/evil (or /good if
you channel negative energy) rising to 10 at 12th level and 15 at 15th
level.

The SRD version still doubles your size, but the bonuses to Strengh,
Constitution and natural armour are all halved, and DR drops to 3/evil,
6/evil or 9/evil at the same level breaks.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>> Nikolas Landauer wrote:

>>> That's it. IIRC, it doesn't even have errata included.
>>
>> You recall incorrectly. They initially announced it
>> wouldn't have errata, so as not to anger people by
>> "suggesting" (though the idea hardly merits the word)
>> that you needed to buy the Special Edition to get the
>> errata included, but reaction from the fanbase quickly
>> suggested that they would get more people to buy it if
>> they included the errata.
>
> Mea culpa, then. I must have heard the initial announcement, and
> overlooked any modification.

You should have downloaded the announcement errata, or purchased the special
edition announcement.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Mark Blunden wrote:
> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
<Re: "Special Edition" PH>

> > Mea culpa, then. I must have heard the initial
> > announcement, and overlooked any modification.
>
> You should have downloaded the announcement errata,
> or purchased the special edition announcement.

I might have... If I had any interest in a marketing scam. :D  My
books work just fine as-is (I'm not afraid to hand-write errata in my
books).

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:29:45 PM

Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> <Re: "Special Edition" PH>
>>>
>>> Mea culpa, then. I must have heard the initial
>>> announcement, and overlooked any modification.
>>
>> You should have downloaded the announcement errata,
>> or purchased the special edition announcement.
>
> I might have... If I had any interest in a marketing scam. :D  My
> books work just fine as-is (I'm not afraid to hand-write errata in my
> books).

Special Edition Dungeon Master's Guide this year, too.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:07:41 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:13:02 +0100, "Mark Blunden"
<m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> carved upon a tablet of
ether:

> Just a comprehensive downsizing of power. The PHB version gets you doubled
> size, +8 STR, +4 CON, +4 natural armour enhancement, DR 5/evil (or /good if
> you channel negative energy) rising to 10 at 12th level and 15 at 15th
> level.
>
> The SRD version still doubles your size, but the bonuses to Strengh,
> Constitution and natural armour are all halved, and DR drops to 3/evil,
> 6/evil or 9/evil at the same level breaks.

I'm not terribly happy with the change. The old version may have been
a little over-powered, but the new version isn't a heck of a lot
better than Divine Power, a fourth level spell. The primary neat thing
is that these stack (and the combo was definately a bit too good), but
you could just as well blame Divine Power for that.

Also, while the old version was more powerful than a 'natural' boost
in size (per MM v3.5, p.291, Table 4-2), the fix is weaker (though it
doesn't drop Dex).

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:32:39 PM

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> >
> > I might have... If I had any interest in a marketing
> > scam. :D  My books work just fine as-is (I'm not
> > afraid to hand-write errata in my books).
>
> Special Edition Dungeon Master's Guide this year, too.

Are you sure about that? I don't see it on the product list, but I
*do* see the "Dungeon Master's Guide II" on there (July 2005), which
is a completely different product.

From Amazon:

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:26:32 PM

Nikolas Landauer wrote:

> Are you sure about that? I don't see it on the product list, but I
> *do* see the "Dungeon Master's Guide II" on there (July 2005), which
> is a completely different product.

Yes, that's the one co-written by Robin D. Laws (for victory!)

No, I've heard, last quarter 2005 you get the Special Edition DMG.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:44:46 PM

In article <QGD8e.55841$lz2.5605@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov wrote:

>While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5 PHB with a
>black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it. It said it was the
>"Special Edition." What the heck is special about it besides the cover?
> Is that it?

Ah, yes, that must be the "Dummy Deluxe" special edition...

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Ubiquitous wrote:
>>While I was in Border's today, I noticed a shrinkwrapped 3.5 PHB with a
>>black puffy cover and a $75.00 price tag on it. It said it was the
>>"Special Edition." What the heck is special about it besides the cover?
>> Is that it?
> Ah, yes, that must be the "Dummy Deluxe" special edition...

It has all the errata, as of that new print time, in it, and it was to
commemorate the 35th anniversary.
--
"Thank goodness, that Amnesty International likened the US to only the Soviet
Gulag. If they had said we were like the Nazi's, then we would know that it was