Closed

Error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk...

Help! I tried to reinstall my windows 7 today, and at first it seemed to be going well, but then it reset me back to the windows dvd install screen and when I try to install windows it gives me this message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. "This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOs menu." I think I need to change some BIOs settings on my motherboard or something but I am really just not sure, it's my first time build and this really is beyond me. If anyone has any experience on what to do or any advice I would be really grateful for it.

The HD I am using is a Westinghouse 1T and the motherboard is a ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+.

Thank you so much
Matthew
23 answers Last reply
More about error message windows installed disk
  1. mattangle said:
    Help! I tried to reinstall my windows 7 today, and at first it seemed to be going well, but then it reset me back to the windows dvd install screen and when I try to install windows it gives me this message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. "This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOs menu." I think I need to change some BIOs settings on my motherboard or something but I am really just not sure, it's my first time build and this really is beyond me. If anyone has any experience on what to do or any advice I would be really grateful for it.

    The HD I am using is a Westinghouse 1T and the motherboard is a ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+.

    Thank you so much
    Matthew


    I'm pulling up info on the motherboard now....will update post when I find the info I'm looking for.

    UPDATE:
    Press DEL to get into the bios as the computer is booting up. Go to OnChip SATA channel under the Advanced Tab. Be sure it's set to Enabled. This will allow you to change the option for SATA Port1 -Port 4. This should be set to AHCI if this is the only SATA drive you have installed on the computer.
  2. Did you choose to format the drive when installing?
  3. I don't remember specifics but I had a similar message trying to install Windows 7 from USB. The install appear to be going fine until the first reboot, and then it would error out. The workaround was to wait for the first reboot and remove the USB before it restarted. It doesn't need the install media past a certain point, and for some reason it thought the USB was the install destination. Are you on USB or DVD? I suppose the theory might apply to DVD as well, but am not sure. Best of luck solution hunting!
  4. I so very much appreciate the help thus far, I took your advice hedwar and went into the bios settings and made sure the onchip sata was enabled and discs 1-4/all of them were on AHCI, those settings were already on and right. When I go to install windows it shows me as having 1 partition saying "Disk 0 Unallocated Space" I am not sure what I am supposed to do with it, I know I should make a new one and format it and what not so I can try and install windows on it, but I am not sure what size to make the partition, and if I should have to or extend them or what, any ideas on how to proceed here? Help thus far is so very much appreciated.

    Thank you!
    Matthew
  5. Format the drive and install,
  6. It wont let me format this unallocated space, but should I make a new one (allocate it I think) then format that one then install? And should I make that drive the maximum size?
  7. You shouldn't need to extend or size the partition(s). If there are multiple partitions, you can format and delete them, leaving just the 1 partition. Make sure the full size of your hard drive is showing, and then proceed on with the install.
  8. Okay I create the Partition so there is just one formatted partition: Disk 0 Partition 1, and when I click on it to install windows I get the message windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1, because of BIOs stuff, the original message I started this thread over. However I can click next and try to install anyway, should I?
  9. Thank you for the tutorial, even when creating the partition right I get the original BIOs error message, and I was mistaken, when I click next it tells me "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate and existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information." Not sure how to proceed.
  10. When you went into the advanced settings in the BIOS, was your hard drive listed on one of the enabled SATA channels? If not, you're not on the right controller.

    What color is the SATA port you have it plugged into?
  11. It is plugged into a black port labeled SATA3G_E1 or E2 (E1 and E2 were my hard drive and optical drive). Having trouble finding having a tough time finding the drive listed on a SATA channel.
  12. Just switched my optical drive and hard drive to sata 5 and sata 6, now in my bios it is recognizing them. Going to try to install now and see if I can get further.
  13. Good luck let us know how it went!!!!!!!
  14. mattangle said:
    Just switched my optical drive and hard drive to sata 5 and sata 6, now in my bios it is recognizing them. Going to try to install now and see if I can get further.


    Patience is an adequate virtue when doing things for yourself the first time. It's good that they are now being seen by the BIOS and I apologize I didn't have you check that earlier.

    I'm actually fixing to sign off for the night but you are in good hands amongst the other helpers. I will check back in the AM (in the US) and see how things went.
  15. It sounds like not all of your SATA channels are enabled. If you aren't going to use them, it's not a big deal, as long as it works in the ones that are turned on.
  16. it didn't recognize the sata drive that it was originally plugged into, now it is plugged into one it recognizes. Windows installed and I am installing drivers, everything is great. I want to really sincerely thank all of you for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I don't know what causes people to take there free time and help people with there problems like what just happened for me. But your good peeps, and I really appreciated it.
  17. Thanks for coming to Tom's Hardware for help.We love to help.Spread the good word about the forum.
  18. It's why I do what I do. It's actually a vent for me as I've been in the industry (tech industry) for 15+ years professionally and personally. That and I love to help people :)
  19. At one time or another, we've all had issues like this and need to seek help. It's a huge relief to get help when you need it, and it feels good to help someone else solve theirs. Glad we were able to help.
  20. Well once again my most sincere thanks.


    Matthew
  21. Im Having The Same Issues As This Could You Please Help Me
    My Pc Is : compaq pc tower intel pentium, cpu 3.00ghz, 2994 mhz, 2 core,
    motherboard: ECS, CPU 1 , 1.0 , VIA , 2gb ram
    P4M800PRO-M V1.0A

    Any Help Is Appreciated ..
  22. thatguychuck said:
    I don't remember specifics but I had a similar message trying to install Windows 7 from USB. The install appear to be going fine until the first reboot, and then it would error out. The workaround was to wait for the first reboot and remove the USB before it restarted. It doesn't need the install media past a certain point, and for some reason it thought the USB was the install destination. Are you on USB or DVD? I suppose the theory might apply to DVD as well, but am not sure. Best of luck solution hunting!


    I tried the same thing, and it worked! Thank you!
    I was also trying to install using a USB thumbstick, so I guess the problem is with the second drive (USB drive). I removed mine right as the computer fully shut down, and was about to restart.
Ask a new question

Read More

Error Message Windows 7