Very weird crashes, need help to figure out what causes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timppeli

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
My build is:
Intel 3570K
MSI Z77A-G43
8GB of 1600mhz Ram.
Geforce 680
Corsair GT 240gb SSD drive.
1Gb Western digital HD.

Problems started some time ago, when i started my computer up, sometimes my monitor didn't react. Computer seamed to start normally but monitor remained black, didnt even go to BIOS start up screen. After few restarts it usually started to work and I had no trouble untill i needed to start the computer again.

Then the problem spread a bit, I could get to the windows start screen and when i logged in, it turned the screen black. Once again after a few restarts I usually was able to continue and use the computer normally. Play games etc and it was stable. This went on for quite some time, sometimes i had no problems and sometimes i had to restart the computer 2-6 times before getting to windows. Logs didnt show anything special, exept the kernel power shutdown as i was forced to shut it down by pressin the power button for 5 sec.

I thought the problem might be with my Geforce 680, so i took it off and tryed to use the 3570K:s garphic chip, no help, actually that just made it worse, it has finally broken up completely. Now i cant get the computer to work in any other than safe mode. And the screen dosen't anymore just go black after windows start up, it allso suddenly boots the whole computer.

I have allso tryed to install windows again, but in the middle of the install process, it allways does the same as in start up, screen turns to black and the computer restarts. I have allso run diffrend stability tests when in safe mode and everything works fine... Untill I try to start windows normally.

Im really lost here, what could be the cause of all this? Any help would be greatly appriciated !

Solution
I'm wondering if your motherboard is the source because the only one consistency in this is the motherboard and processor.

It's not likely that it's the processor because they don't become defective unless they are DOA out of box or they are pushed so hard in OCing that the processor craps out.

As for which one to send back, I would swap out the motherboard first and be sure to use enough thermal paste (I recommend Artic Silver) between the CPU and the heatsink.

Timppeli

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Thanks, I will try that.

Alltho, my Windows is on my SSD drive, and this happens even when i try to reinstall it from CD to normal HD, also some times the computer crashes before it even gets to BIOS at start up. But I will run those tests.

Hi :)

You didnt mention an SSD...

DO NOT run hirens on an SSD !!!

Use the ssd own tools to test it...

All the best Brett :)

I had a build about 2 years ago doing very similar things. I ended up going thru the device manager, and looking for out of date drivers, and found some of the drivers were out of date.

Long story short, I updated the BIOS, and a few drivers, and the kernel error went away, and it was much more stable. A good indication that yours may be similar, is that it's stable in safe mode.

Timppeli

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Thanks, I will try updating those.

And To Brett, Ill try to find some other tool to check my SSD:s health. thanks.

Hi :)

Go to the manufacturer of your SSD and download its OWN tools...usually called something like TOOLBOX...

Lots of goodies in there... for testing ssds..

All the best Brett :)

wudai_e

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Also, if you happen to have a spare and working power supply, try it see if the problem goes away. I had something similar with my old build and the culprit is a defective PSU.

Timppeli

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Have now updated BIOS and checked SSD, HD and tried an old HD with others plugged off. And unfortunatly same problems still persist. Ill loan an PSu tomorrow from a friend and try if that helps. Thanks everyone for your time, if some one has any new ideas i would cladly hear them.

Timppeli

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Everything should be now up to date, but still crashing when windows loads, or even when trying to re-install it, but the safe mode is rock solid. There is also only two components on my computer which I haven't changed, and those are the motherboard and CPU... So, it starts to look like the problem is hardware related and either one of those is to blame. The question is which one? both have still warranty left, but which one I should send back? Any ideas would be appreciated, or if someone has some other ideas? Thanks.

I'm wondering if your motherboard is the source because the only one consistency in this is the motherboard and processor.

It's not likely that it's the processor because they don't become defective unless they are DOA out of box or they are pushed so hard in OCing that the processor craps out.

As for which one to send back, I would swap out the motherboard first and be sure to use enough thermal paste (I recommend Artic Silver) between the CPU and the heatsink.

Solution

Timppeli

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Yup, motherboard would be also my ques, think ill go with that and hope for the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.