Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Clean windows 7 ultimate install problem

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 5, 2013 1:56:11 AM

I get to the point where it asks where to install windows but the drive does not appear. it is a new Seagate 80Gb 7200rpm IDE hard drive (ST380013A). It is formated to NTFS. My question (besides why is it not recognized) is do i need to format it to FAT32 to install a 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS?
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 1:59:32 AM

Hello... Did you use the Windows install Disk to create the Partiton and format the Drive? If not... delete the existing Partition... and use the tools on the Install Disk to Partition and format the drive... Does your BIO's recognize the Drive? Check to make sure you have the IDE controller enabled in your BIO's.
February 5, 2013 2:00:27 AM

How did you get a new 80GB IDE HDD? That thing is well past its used by date.

Is the HDD plugged in correctly and powered properly?

Why do you want to install Windows 7 on such an old/slow/small HDD?
Related resources
February 5, 2013 2:01:26 AM

no. im using a copy of windows to install it but it never recognizes the drive.
February 5, 2013 2:02:58 AM

warhead0 said:
How did you get a new 80GB IDE HDD? That thing is well past its used by date.

Is the HDD plugged in correctly and powered properly?

Why do you want to install Windows 7 on such an old/slow/small HDD?


someone gave it to me and it had never been opened

yes

because its what i have
a c 230 $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 2:06:26 AM

Does the 80GB HDD show up in your BIOS as a recognized HDD?
a c 230 $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 2:06:54 AM

JHaynes_Esquire said:
no. im using a copy of windows to install it but it never recognizes the drive.

Also, where did you get this copy of Windows?
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 2:10:26 AM

Quote:
where did you get this copy of Windows?


He is using windows ultimate but an old IDE drive. I think EVERYONE knows where he got his copy of windows.
February 5, 2013 2:10:50 AM

COLGeek said:
Does the 80GB HDD show up in your BIOS as a recognized HDD?


yes
February 5, 2013 2:11:32 AM

COLGeek said:
Also, where did you get this copy of Windows?


my friend
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 2:14:38 AM

You gave us zero system details.

Just guessing, but modern boards don't have IDE support. They are on a second chip now. Like in the days of old, you'll need to load the drivers so that windows can use it. (Like if you were using RAID drivers.) I think its under the more options sections when looking at the list of drives to load windows on.
February 5, 2013 2:18:39 AM

4745454b said:
You gave us zero system details.

Just guessing, but modern boards don't have IDE support. They are on a second chip now. Like in the days of old, you'll need to load the drivers so that windows can use it. (Like if you were using RAID drivers.) I think its under the more options sections when looking at the list of drives to load windows on.


the mother board is a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 and it has one IDE port

what system details do you need?
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 4:55:59 AM

The motherboard info. Want to make sure in addition to giving you an old IDE hard and an OS worth $400 that he didn't give you an older motherboard as well. IDE support was dropped a long time ago. Win7 is looking at the sata ports for the hdd but can't find it. You'll need to find the drivers for that IDE controller and load them somehow.
a c 230 $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 10:10:12 AM

JHaynes_Esquire said:
my friend

Is it a downloaded version or from a commercial retail or OEM disk (did Microsoft make the disk or did your "friend" burn it)? Is it a legal copy (you have a legitimate product key)?

In your BIOS, make sure your IDE adapter is set to either PATA, EIDE, or IDE mode (not RAID or SATA). Then make sure your boot order has you optical drive first, and then the 80GB HDD second.
February 5, 2013 10:24:20 AM

JHaynes, you need to give much more spec on what you are running on your PC as spec will go, what type of RAM, Motherboard, CPU, PSU, Graphics card, hard drives. All this will help the guys in the forum to understand what is going on in your PC. The other thing as well, for any of us to help you on your journey to a solution, we also need to know what type of Windows you are running, is it a copy with crack (not legal) or an original disc with License (Legal). :) 
February 5, 2013 10:11:27 PM

Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
RAM: 2 Kingston HyperX 4Gb DDR3 1600MHz
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450
PSU: Pixxo 500Watt Series PL
Graphics Card: MSI R4350
Hard Drives: 1 IDE 80Gb Seagate 7200rpm (ST380013A) and 1 Hitachi Laptop HDD (not sure on size but it was from my parents old laptop and has a x32 version of windows 7)

i was only going to use one hard drive but i don't want a x32 version of windows. i want to install my x64 version of windows 7 ultimate that is a cracked copy.

every thing listed above except for the hard drives were part of a barebone kit from TigerDirect. i used an old disk drive from our family pc that hasnt been used in years. it is a Sony DRU-720A
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 10:17:23 PM

Quote:
i want to install my x64 version of windows 7 ultimate that is a cracked copy.

In other words you want us to help a pirate. Not gonna happen sparky.

Best solution

a c 230 $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 11:39:30 PM
Share

JHaynes_Esquire said:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
RAM: 2 Kingston HyperX 4Gb DDR3 1600MHz
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450
PSU: Pixxo 500Watt Series PL
Graphics Card: MSI R4350
Hard Drives: 1 IDE 80Gb Seagate 7200rpm (ST380013A) and 1 Hitachi Laptop HDD (not sure on size but it was from my parents old laptop and has a x32 version of windows 7)

i was only going to use one hard drive but i don't want a x32 version of windows. i want to install my x64 version of windows 7 ultimate that is a cracked copy.

every thing listed above except for the hard drives were part of a barebone kit from TigerDirect. i used an old disk drive from our family pc that hasnt been used in years. it is a Sony DRU-720A

Sorry, but we are done helping you now.

Tom's Forums do not support any form of software piracy.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 11:48:37 PM

Best answer selected by SR-71 Blackbird.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 11:48:39 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
!