AMD to announce 'HAMMER' Architecture details

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=66311" target="_new"><font color=blue>http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=66311</A></font color=blue>
>>San Jose, CA-October 15, 2001 - AMD's Vice President and Chief Technical Officer Fred Weber today will disclose architectural details of AMD's next-generation "Hammer" microprocessor architecture at Microprocessor Forum in San Jose, Calif. Weber will also discuss how HyperTransport(tm), the innovative technology designed to accelerate internal system communications, simplifies the design and boosts the performance of multiprocessing systems. A question-and-answer session will follow his presentation.

Following his presentation, AMD plans to issue a press release and other information with highlights of the "Hammer" presentation. Information will be available at <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/news/spotlight" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/news/spotlight</A>

Date: Monday, October 15, 2001
Time: 3:10 p.m. U.S. PDT.<<</b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Having a bit of problem -- as I am sure you can guess. I'll try to have it fixed up ASAP! " - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaH

I think I hurt myself =P

Second link is as good as the first.

FatBurger

Illustrious
And they're probably paying to have it served on an SGI machine. Poor saps, they're being way overcharged.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try pointing your finger at SUN Microsystems Inc.

But based upon given information "Having a bit of problem -- as I am sure you can guess. I'll try to have it fixed up ASAP!" I would have to say its a AMD based server. =P

FatBurger

Illustrious
In Early May of 2001, the site went through a coding and forum upgrade, switching from a Windows 2000 based server and using MS SQL Server 7 and Cold Fusion to server the pages, to a Linux server and an open-source MySQL and PHP solution. The site has performed wonderfully ever since and I couldn’t be happier with the setup we have now.

Probably not SGI or Sun. But the jury is still out as to whether it's Intel or AMD procs. Not that it really matters.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Forgive my negativity here, but I did not hear anything in today's press release that everybody did not already know. Are they re-releasing old information?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
OK, here's some better information.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/MPF_Hammer_Presentation.PDF" target="_new">Click</A>

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Yes, I had already seen those slides. They did not produce any new information. It would seem all they did was try to increase the spotlight on hammer, not release any actual new information.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Excuse me, but have I misunderstood somehting in a big way. Does the hammer appear to have a 32 stage pipe line. This seems to indicate that one instruction takes 12 ns to filter down out of the execution and into memory. I mean the P4 pays through the nose for it s 20 stages. But 32, I must have got something wrong, this can't be right, can it?

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by charliec2uk on 10/16/01 06:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
You're asking me? I don't understand the half of it, I was just posting the link.
However, it's been explained to me that the pipeline in not actually 32 stages but rather 12 stages, and that everything after the line at the 12th stage is not the general pipeline, but has to do with the integrated north bridge. Also the 12ns delay has to do with the access time of the north bridge, which would suggest a 2.67Ghz clock speed upon release.
Whether or not any of this is true I don't know, I'm sure someone else can explain it better than me.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Man that presentation doesn't really tell you anything !

I'm wondering if AMD have actually produced any working samples of Hammer yet or at the moment just exists on paper.

I want to see facts, figures ! At the moment Hammer looks like a WONDER processor other than that....not much else.

Here are some rumors:

<font color=blue>In revealing some of the first details about the chip, Weber hinted that it would be released at 2GHz and said that on one key benchmark, SpecINT, Hammer would score nearly twice as high as 64-bit chips on the market today from such as those offered by Intel Corp., Sun Microsystems Inc. and IBM.</font color=blue>
Source:<A HREF="http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1884&a=16521,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1884&a=16521,00.asp</A>

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple>

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I refuse to believe that the Hammer is just going to offer defacto twice the performace of an Ultra Sparc III, I just won't until I see some numbers, and then verified in triplicate. I mean Sun has had years of experiance designing 64-bit platforms, Intel has poured (I think) seven years of money and R&D into IA-64 (plus it has th Alpha). I cannot believe that AMD, no disrespect to its engineers etc but just doesn't hae that experiance, unless they've suddenly hired half of Sun's R&D set-up, I really don't see it happening. But then AMD may surprise us again, I am just rather skeptical.

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
so what?
Nvidia made chips for consules that ran MUCH lower res and speed then voodoo's, and the big bang they made once they hit the market with TNT products..
who knows maybe AMD is on to something..

thogh i think amd would release a prospect of the new product at the site if that would be the case, seems like a unsponsered site needed some cash fast..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

not to mention alot of people were surprised by amd's sudden jump with the initial introduction of the athlon.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Weird. The slides are dated October 12, 2001, yet they still use the old Virtual address space of 48 instead of 64 and physical address space of 40 instead of 52. I guess the marketing team hasn’t read the white paper.

Schmide

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
There was one interesting piece of information regarding the memory controller.

Moving the memory controller onto the CPU die is an approach Sun has used on the UltraSparc processors resulting in significant improvements in memory latency and bandwidth.

I don't expect the Hammer to come close to the Ultra performance wise but AMD are obviously willing to follow innovators other than Intel.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: