Sign in with
Your question

Athlon XP muckups already

Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2001 11:51:32 PM

Hey, newbie here.
just wanted to let people know that the Athlon XP MHz confusion is starting.

don't know if anybody else has seen this but if you visit www.ddcc.com.au and them jump to the CPU price list. they are listing Athlon XP 1.5 GHz to 1.8 GHz

prices are Aussie dollars and similar to other prices for the same REAL part (not the imaginary clocked parts)

Thought it might be interesting to you all.

Matt

More about : athlon muckups

October 16, 2001 12:11:53 AM

This is indeed sad, and the fact they take it as GHZ is gonna cause much more trouble than when the customer finds out his 1.8ghz is 1.5.. I mean salesman need to tell the truth here! They should be honest, telling them the true speed, and telling them that it is indeed the best processors still..
October 16, 2001 2:03:12 AM

actually i wrote them an email (well I'm gonna) because I think they made an honest mistake..
maybe it's different in the US but in Australia we quite often have salemen that no little or nothing about the product.
but I still feel sorry for the end-users.

Matt
Related resources
October 16, 2001 2:15:27 AM

its worldwide mate. seen german ads advertising the 1.7Ghz xp.

but your right, VERY hard to find honest upfront knowledgable PC vendors.

(ive got a small select list ive painstakingly compiled)

p.s.
auzzie auzzie auzzie!

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 16, 2001 2:56:33 AM

I wrote them too. If everyone writes to them they are going to have to do some thing about it. And I told them if they do not change it. I will let Amd deal with it.
October 16, 2001 5:21:13 AM

Actually we have the same salesmen working here at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. The smaller computer shops are better overall, but a knowledgable person is better off buying parts off the web and building there own system. "Dude, I would even by a Dell" before I bought a PC from Best Buy or CompUSA.
October 16, 2001 5:59:36 AM

Quote:
auzzie auzzie auzzie!

Oi Oi Oi!
(someone had to do it) :) 

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
October 16, 2001 6:32:51 AM

what is true SPEED?

is MHZ the true speed? then why does the ATHLON 1.53 walk all over the 2 GHZ P4 which has a 500 MHZ advantage?

INTEL is misleading the public with its HOLLOW-HERTZ... it oscillates at 2 GHZ but performs at 1.4 GHZ.....

Thats like a car with 500 Horsepower... but a janky transmission that limits it to 200 Horsepower... the windows STICKER says 500 HORSES.... but the guy up the street with the 300 hp engine in his car blows by you

who is duping who
October 16, 2001 7:05:38 AM

Yes, well I think that topic has been pretty well covered.
AS for writing to them.. sorry, can't remember your name, but I didn't write to AMD as you seem to think.
I wrote to the PC sales guys in Melb. to tell them they got it wrong with listing 1.5 - 1.8 GHz Athlon XPs. (unless they did some pretty mean OCing).

well, glad to join another board of loud minorities hehe :p  :) 
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 7:42:59 AM

Troll. If I buy a car with a 5.4l engine, it better not come with a 4.6l engine, even if that engine has more horsepower, simply because I'm not getting what I paid for!

Back to you Tom...
October 16, 2001 9:43:59 AM

hay then buy a Intel. Frist I would not pay $400 for a cpu that is slower then a cpu that is $200. But it shows you how dumb people can be.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 11:09:03 AM

Basically, what this Crashdude is saying is that the only importance to him is that his computer should have a sticker that says 2.0MHz, regardless of the real performance.

Well, hard to argue against that kind of (Inteli-) wisdom, isn't it... I'm speechless!

***A-Man***

...is it?...NO, it's AnotherMan...
October 16, 2001 11:14:31 AM

Crash is a helpful and respected member of this forum, he likes intel for stability, because he hates via. He is a FAR CRY, from trolls like meltdown and fugger, so give him some respect why dont you. He has helped more people on this forum than almost anyone.
Attacking someone for their cpu preference is almost as bad as the kind of [-peep-] FUGGER and AMDmeltdown do daily. Cant we all just get the hell along people!

ON the topic of this thread, those are not AMD's fault, if a reseller mistakenly labels an athlon xp 1800 as 1.8ghz it is THEIR mistake, not AMD's. Resellers need to stop looking at easy ways to con buyers(1.5ghz p4 on 845 with 128 megs of ultra fast pc 133 sdram cl3!) and start eductaion everyone on the pros and cons of ALL computer parts and trying to let the buyer make some kind of freakin educated decision.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 11:37:02 AM

To respond to a quite valid statement about the real performance of our CPUs with the word ”Troll”, and then keep throwing those empty numbers (”2 is more then 1.53, hehe hehe hehe…”) in peoples face is hard to respect. It is like Intel people gladly gives $$$ for some digits that tells nothing.

Don’t you understand that it is just because of these people the XP-ratings is (sadly, but nevertheless) motivated

***A-Man***

October 16, 2001 11:42:23 AM

Actually A, pope is a troll. I think crash was calling him troll like I or you or anyone would call meltdown a troll, in a jovial greeting kind of way. ;-)

Crash has had his share of intel bias but he is honestly a decent poster and not a troll. Me and him have clashed on several occasions and he has always maintained a level of maturity which is refreshing to see in an intel fan. ;-)

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 11:54:30 AM

Okey, okey, Crash ain't on my "Troll list" in contrast to som other above mentioned names, maybe he just had a bad nightmare about some VIA bugs, or so... But, nevertheless, I do think that the PR thing is a necessity just because of the statements he (and many others) keep holding on to!

October 16, 2001 11:58:59 AM

By the way balzi, DDCC is one of the computer stores I frequent (not buy anything, because their prices are terrible, just to drool over the shiny new parts they have :) ), so I sent them an e-mail as well. Hell, I'll probably call them up in the morning.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
October 16, 2001 3:43:01 PM

Quote:
He has helped more people on this forum than almost anyone.

You can delete the 'almost'.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 4:00:52 PM

I'm just stating that I think it makes AMD look dishonest, reguardless of the results. I'm thinking of getting an SiS735 mobo and a 1.533GHz XP processor, and overdriving it to 1.8GHz. That's a real number. It should have about the same performance that the Willy would have at 2.4GHz (can't comment on the Northwood yet). But I'm waiting to see what developes with AMD's move to .13 and Intel's move to Northwood and DDR before I make my choice. I like real numbers. If they want to rate a processor by something other than MHz, they should use mips or something, instead of comming up with a fake number.

Back to you Tom...
October 16, 2001 4:08:04 PM

I've got an idea. Go and buy one that says 1.5 Mhz when it's really the PR1500+ and then tell them that it's not 1.5Mhz and they will have to upgrade you to the 1800+pr for free. hehehehe good way to save some money on a new processor. Stick em with false advertising.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 4:13:40 PM

Yes!

Back to you Tom...
October 16, 2001 4:18:51 PM

I believe that will inspire them to change their advertising more effectively than letters or email.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 16, 2001 5:31:38 PM

I think it's obvious that AMD will be causing headaches for themselves with the XP naming scheme. I think it will wind up backfiring on them.

Whether or not AMD likes it, most people (except guys like us) associate the "speed" of a proc with the megahertz. They're gonna be pissed when they realize that their XP 1800 isn't running at 1800 megahertz, even if it is really faster than a P4 @1800.

I think AMD would have been better off with a conventional naming for the XP. They could still advertise the hell out of the fact that it's actually faster than a higher clocked P4.

Naming it a "1800" when it really isn't running at 1800 megahertz seems a little bit shifty.

By the way, for the record I'm neutral in the Intel v. AMD war. I run both. :-D

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"
October 16, 2001 5:38:51 PM

Joe blow won't care. He doesn't even know what Mhz is. Why do you think it would piss him off? Further more how is he going to find out? And when he does find out I'm sure he'll also find out that it's more efficient per clock cylce than the p4. So I don't see this back firing. I don't like it but is it really that bad?? Why do I not like it? It seemed to be deceptive but in all reality it's not. The palaminos are faster than the tbirds. So therefore the PR rating should be used. People won't know the difference if they don't. Besides it's more cost effective to advertise the PR rating than advertise that the fact that they are more efficient per clock. Because with all of the resellers advertising the higher speed the public thinks it's higher and AMD didn't have to spend money on it. I'm ranting and I don't know if any of this makes any sense.

October 16, 2001 5:59:19 PM

I disagree. Intel's marketing is based heavily on promoting Mhz. Advertising always points out the Mhz of a system. I know friends and family who don't know much about PCs and they really focus on how "fast" (i.e. megahertz) a PC is.

And you can bet Intel will be sure to point out that the XP 1800 is not an 1800 Mhz processor.

Just my opinion...

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bdaley on 10/16/01 02:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 16, 2001 6:05:28 PM

This time I SNEEZED and sprayed all over my keyboard :( 

October 16, 2001 6:18:19 PM

And you asked dhluke why he thought you posted for just posting?

October 16, 2001 6:47:47 PM

I agree, your post is very similar to mine as to this subject, now costumers are comparing just numbers stuck on the CPU pacage(almost sad to be true..).
lats just hope this will result in one of these two ways:
1.the public will ask "why" is this PR rating and not Mhz, thus uncovering the fact that AMD IS faster then same clocked intel, and might get even smarter!
2.the costumer public would feal cheated and turn against AMD products(maybe even in the future), unless AMD doesnt pring Mhz speed on pacages that might present some legal problams one would think..

all the luck to AMD!!
(anyway im off to the store to get mt XP1800+ ;) .)

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 16, 2001 7:00:31 PM

Don't forget to go to the store that advertises them as MHZ and then when you don't get one of the appropriate MHz then demand the appropriate one.

October 16, 2001 8:07:57 PM

I don't like the PR stuff just like everyone else. All you AMD fans need to get to their head that it's just wrong. It's All marketing.

BTW, I am not an AMD or Intel fan. I just write what I think. I hope you understand.

KG
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2001 8:10:10 PM

Yes, I admit it is a problem. But first and foremost for AMD regarding their new Palomino core compairing to the Thunderbird!!

Here AMD have an quite improved core (Pal.) which, because of the older 0.18 technique, runs at approximately the same MHz. How should they convince Joe Average that just because it is named XP it will cost more money. We know that it will run 5-15% faster than the old TB core, but how should Joe A have a clue about that. Well, enter the PRxxxx, and it may (hopefully) be a little easier to explain this to Joe!? Simple as that...? Naaah... (sigh)

***A-Man***

October 16, 2001 8:20:40 PM

Quote:
All you AMD fans need to get to their head that it's just wrong. It's All marketing.

I believe that statement is wrong. All of the AMD fans know that this is a marketing tactic. I'm not saying it's wrong or right but every AMD fan knows the difference. It's the uninformed masses that they are trying to sway.

October 16, 2001 9:23:41 PM

Look, nothing is new about this, its obvious why AMD did it and what it all says, yet ppl go to the store and are acustumed to see those Mhz setups and not some PR rating, oddly when ppl buy a computer they buy processor, which is costly and thus making the seller downgrade the other parts to crap, like tnt2 set-ups(whats uo with that?!)
as i have several mechines at my home i have one with a P3733 and a GF3, which will run games better then those crappy P4 boxes u usually see.

i home someof that will change with the new Nvidia chipsets - Nforce, those not only use AMD CPU's but have a nice "basic" 64MB graphic card OB.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 16, 2001 9:24:58 PM

First of all... you need you get something to protect your keyboard from your oral and nasal outbursts. Secondly, are posts like this how you managed to get your count so high? :tongue:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>
October 16, 2001 10:01:37 PM

Not at all. I just figured I'd throw some spontenaity into an otherwise boring flame war.

October 16, 2001 11:21:40 PM

Yeah, I got a reply this morning. They were aware of the problem - maybe from you, but they gotta wait til Saturday when their Web guy comes in. hmmph!!!

oh well, hope they don't sell TOO many in that time, or some people gonna be frizzed.
October 16, 2001 11:34:10 PM

I'm telling you. FREE upgrade.

October 17, 2001 1:11:30 AM

Tell me about it. Here in Oz they are selling Duron's as "Pentium III compat".
October 17, 2001 1:17:51 AM

Your right, the average consumer doesn't really give a [-peep-] about MHZ. It all comes down to the advice they've been given by the salesman. They'll buy what he says, not what they say. I've got cousins who aren't computer literate...if you ask them what clock speed their cpu is running at they will reply with "huh?"
October 17, 2001 1:40:32 AM

People still call Disks "floppies", even though we haven't used floppies in 20 years.

People don't understand what a megahertz is and never will. I swear that if a company came out with a nanohertz machine people would buy it if the price was right and the salesman told them to.

People will never understand the differences between memory, hard drive speeds, protocols and interfaces, etc. It's whatever is recommended to them that they will buy.

Generally...

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
October 17, 2001 1:43:52 AM

For a while there they were calling processors 1000 Mhz or 1100 Mhz since I'm sure they were afraid that people wouldn't know what a Ghz was.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
October 17, 2001 2:23:57 AM

nanohertz... aint that an underclocked 086-XT?
hehe

i think i still prefer the Mhz rating instead of Ghz. lets one tell the fine details with athlon processors
eg.
1.3Ghz athlon B = 1300Mhz
1.3Ghz athlon C = 1333Mhz

i dont like the rounding much.
would far prefer to see 1.533 or 1.53 than 1.5.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 17, 2001 2:28:47 AM

I think I'm really starting to see the bright side of a PR rating. Nobody knows what the speeds mean anyways so why not have a performance standard.

Problem with the whole thing is that it's a reason and a way for them to raise prices.

October 17, 2001 12:57:18 PM

Actually, the 1.8ghz palomino should put a hurtin on the 2.6ghz p4 willy, perhaps even the 2.8ghz. Remember, the palomino gains more per clock then the p4.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 17, 2001 5:06:26 PM

I work at a Best Buy, and we carry a Compaq model 8881 CPU clearly marked as an "Athlon XP 1.53GHz." Our Computer Creation Station (for BTOs from Compaq, HP and Micron) has Compaq Athlon XP models available, and those are also measured in MHz/GHz. I can't speak for every store, obviously, but I have made it a point to explain to all my customers (and co-workers) how the XP's can do more work per clock, what the model numbers mean, etc.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2001 5:28:24 PM

Whatever, the Northwood will be out before then, and it's too early for me to have any idea how it will perform.

Back to you Tom...
October 17, 2001 5:34:54 PM

Are you guys kindof counter productive? The whole reason AMD came out with the PR rating is to get away from Mhz.

October 17, 2001 8:43:18 PM

My god, I just laugh at the way you always make fun of Joe Blows, yet it's so true!!
And that Duron naming thing, man go tell them damn store guy and complain! P3 Compat? HA!
And then those who know nothing, sometimes I just wanna whack them... Cuz I can't get in the group to talk of something I like... They're always like "Huh" or "..."
I think the government should integrate a learning program, for all average people, so that they benefit of what they purchase. Just weeks ago my uncle bought a HP Celly at 900mhz, 30gig, integrated Graphic card, 128sdram and stuff... I just felt so sad he'd get this for 999$ CDN. I mean the fact that most of the stuff is cheap, especially the Intel 3d card at 5.5mb as DXDIAG reports, he claimed he wanted his son to play games... My other uncle warned him about the components, he ignored...
Now he's stuck with a relatively slow PC, with WinME which has begun spreading terror with bugs and crashes already! And in case of failure, all components must be changed... Snif...
Thank god I understand AMD for what they do, or else I'd have gone upgraded my PC to a P4 1.5 with 128rdram on socket 423. Now I am directed to XP 1600+ with an unknown mobo yet, 256DDR, Asus GF3 Dlx, SBlive 5.1. Saving more money and an excellent performance with extendability for Socket A CPUs...
I was at first an Intel follower, in fact I refused to believe those benchmark results, and still thought positive to the P4. Now AXP is released, with low price and P4 2g beating... Man I suddenly was converted. I am stilll hoping that Intel does something, cuz ever since Athlon was first out, Intel never beat them yet. For now, XP for me. For later, unknown...
October 17, 2001 10:18:39 PM

lol, u cant expact from every one to be smart, and further your gov to pay for it..LOL

sorry man but that is one really stupid thing to say..

the everage guy DOESNT need to know every thing about what he is buying, just that the company he is buying from is not cheating him in some way and the seller isnt either.
once u get to trust them u can get a good computer in a good price, no need to know whats in it as long as it runs solitare;).

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 18, 2001 5:07:24 AM

That's good to hear.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"
!