BSOD, NTFS drive, now can't see anything on it

My desktop machine has a 160GB hard drive, NTFS formatted, with Windows 7 installed. We have 4 user profiles.

Recently I got a BSOD and when I Googled the error code, it seems to be related to the NTFS file system.

I could no longer boot Windows, not even Safe Mode. I bought a USB caddy and put the 3.5" internal SATA drive into it and plugged it into a different Windows 7 machine, and it shows up only as a 40GB, empty, drive! I can copy files to and from this 40GB drive, but I cannot see the other, used, 120GB!

I plugged it into a Mac, and now I can see a drive called "Untitled", which shows in Mac's Finder as a 120GB NTFS drive, but I can't see this 40GB bit! Also, on the Mac, in the 120GB drive I can see the Windows structure from my old machine (Program Files, Windows, Users, etc).

I looked through all the Users folders to recover the My Documents folder (Users > Jane, Users > Scott, Users > Garry, Users > Colin).

As bad luck would have it though, the only folder I'm REALLY interested in recovering is Users > Colin > My Documents, and it's not there! All the other users have their My Documents folders intact, except Colin, which has no My Documents folder at all, yet when I had the machine up and running before the BSOD, I knew that folder has hundreds of files and docs in it!

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about bsod ntfs drive
  1. The drive at some point has failed, or has become corrupt.
    You can fix the Ntfs file system if the problem by doing a system repair through the windows 7 install dvd.
Ask a new question

Read More

NTFS Blue Screen Windows 7