probliem with reinstalling XP on Dell 8400

i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the setup
could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help with
this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard disk
IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
fresh start.
Thanks much.
MJ
mjdbtcb@hotmail.com
7 answers Last reply
More about probliem reinstalling dell 8400

    Can you see the hard drive *IN THE BIOS* setup screens?

    "MJDB" <mjdbtcb@hotmail> wrote in message
    >i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the setup
    > could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help
    > with
    > this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard disk
    > IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
    > fresh start.
    > Thanks much.
    > MJ
    > mjdbtcb@hotmail.com

    "MJDB" <mjdbtcb@hotmail> wrote in message
    >i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the setup
    > could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help
    > with
    > this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard disk
    > IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
    > fresh start.
    > Thanks much.

    Search the group for the following thread: Problem w/ Clean Install of XP on
    Floppyless 8400

    I asked the same question and this thread has the answers.

    This assumes you do not have a floppy disk. If you have a floppy look for a
    1.44 floppy disk with you software. Its the SATA controller software. At
    the start of setup you be prompted to press F6 if you have a RAID controller
    installed. Follow the instructions.

    --

    Rob

    The 8400 has a chipset that came out after XP was released so not all the
    needed drivers are on your CD.

    If you are using RAID or may in the future, go to the Dell support site and
    download the utility which will create a floppy disk with the necessary disk
    driver. During the first phase of install, hit F6 to tell it you need to
    supply that driver. Later on the install will ask you for it (and leave the
    diskette in the drive because it will be loaded a second time later on).
    Note your system needs to have a floppy drive.

    If you are not using RAID and never plan to, then you can just go into the
    BIOS and explicitly configure that. In that case you do not have to supply
    a driver and the install should succeed.

    You can research all this here:

    http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=dimension

    "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
    > Can you see the hard drive *IN THE BIOS* setup screens?
    >

    > "MJDB" <mjdbtcb@hotmail> wrote in message
    >>i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the setup
    >> could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help
    >> with
    >> this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard
    >> disk
    >> IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
    >> fresh start.
    >> Thanks much.
    >> MJ
    >> mjdbtcb@hotmail.com

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:03:03 -0700, MJDB wrote in

    > i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the setup
    > could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help with
    > this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard disk
    > IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
    > fresh start.

    You just need to download the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    drivers from the Dell website. Go to http://support.dell.com and log into
    your account, hover your mouse cursor over Product Support, click on
    Downloads, enter your Service Tag in the right box and click the arrow next
    to said box.

    On the next screen, where it says to Select Your Download Category scroll
    down to Serial ATA. Select Windows XP where it says to Select an Operating
    System and then click Submit at the bottom. On the next screen, click on
    the link Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition and you will come to a
    screen with a link to the driver and an application. Click on the driver
    link.

    Download the file R78496.exe on the screen you come to and use that to make
    a floppy disk. When you're starting your reinstallation of Windows XP you
    will place the Windows XP CD into the drive and reboot from the CD. As
    soon as you see the blue screen hit the key it says to hit in order to
    install third-party RAID drivers (I think it is F6 but I could be wrong).
    Just follow the prompts!

    I've done this several times now with my 8400 and it works fine. Good
    luck!

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Thank you SO much!!
    MJ
    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:03:03 -0700, MJDB wrote in
    >
    > > i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the
    setup
    > > could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help
    with
    > > this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard
    disk
    > > IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
    > > fresh start.
    >
    > You just need to download the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    > drivers from the Dell website. Go to http://support.dell.com and log into
    > your account, hover your mouse cursor over Product Support, click on
    > Downloads, enter your Service Tag in the right box and click the arrow
    next
    > to said box.
    >
    > On the next screen, where it says to Select Your Download Category scroll
    > down to Serial ATA. Select Windows XP where it says to Select an
    Operating
    > System and then click Submit at the bottom. On the next screen, click on
    > the link Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition and you will come to a
    > screen with a link to the driver and an application. Click on the driver
    > link.
    >
    > Download the file R78496.exe on the screen you come to and use that to
    make
    > a floppy disk. When you're starting your reinstallation of Windows XP you
    > will place the Windows XP CD into the drive and reboot from the CD. As
    > soon as you see the blue screen hit the key it says to hit in order to
    > install third-party RAID drivers (I think it is F6 but I could be wrong).
    > Just follow the prompts!
    >
    > I've done this several times now with my 8400 and it works fine. Good
    > luck!
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:00:37 -0700, MJDB wrote in

    > Thank you SO much!!

    You bet.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Read today's thread "Dim 8400 reinstall question"

    "MJDB" <mjdbtcb@hotmail> wrote in message
    >i was trying to reinstall XP on the Dimension 8400 and it said "the setup
    > could not find a hard disk drive on your computer". Anyone could help
    > with
    > this ? the Dell support line always put me on hold for ever. The hard disk
    > IS there and is working, i just wanted to wipe out everything and have a
    > fresh start.
    > Thanks much.
    > MJ
    > mjdbtcb@hotmail.com