CPU installation

G

I have a couple questions. I've started to build my first computer. I got a Athlon XP 1800+ in the mail today and there's a bright orange sticker (like a grocery store sticker) on the brown part of the processor. Will taking the sticker off be a problem? Also, is it a good idea to put extra thermal compound on the processor besides the heatsink? And finally, the company that I was going to buy the heatsink from has an option to add a 3-Pin to 4-Pin Power Adapter and a 3 Pin Extension Cable. Do I need either of these? Thanks for your help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucid999 on 10/15/01 09:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
does the sticker say removing it will void the warranty? what side of the chip is it on, paper is a poor conductor of heat so as long as its not between the heatsink and core dont bother handling the chip any more than you have to..you can use a good heatsink compound but dont use a lot - sparingly spread it

pretty much all mobos will hve a 3 pin connector for the HSF so unless you want to connect it to the drive bus i wouldnt worry about any adapters.

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
If you're HSF has a Delta fan I would NOT connect it to the MB 3 pin connector. That is what the 3 to 4 pin adapter is for. While the latest boards may allow it by now, but my Asus A7V133 MB 3 pin connector was not rated high enough (amp wise) for the Delta fan. Check your MB specs and fan specs. The problem is if you overload the 3 pin plug you could ruin the MB. Using the 4 pin connector will prevent this. However, the RPM monitoring feature on the fan won't work unless you modify it so the blue wire still connects to the 3 pin connection on the MB. I spliced mine myself but If you are not comfortable with that you might find one for sale somewhere on the web. The cables you describe should be sufficient to splice it yourself though.
As far as compound goes only apply to the small die on the CPU. Spread it thin with a credit card or something similar. First of all though, remove the thermal pad before you do anything. The instructions for <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">Artic Silver</A> probably say it best.