Does Not Make Sense

G

Hello all, I have just recently upgraded to a SK-6 from and Alpha PEP66T. The thing is that when I upgraded my CPU temp, acording to ASUS Probe is 57C under normal conditions. First this is one of the best HSF that you can buy, and it is at this high of a temp? Secondly, how come there was no improvement from the Alpha PEP66T? What is the acuracy of this ASUS Probe? And the last question is, the installation guide said to install the fan so that it sucks air from the heat sink, this does not make sense either, wouldnt you want the fan to be blowing on the heatsink. Please give me a little help, and yes i use thermal grease, and I am almost posative I have installed the unit right.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
couple of points.

firstly, anal probe sucks big time.
use motherboard monitor. its CPU temps are always off by 5 to 10 degrees C.

secondly... even using proper monitoring programs the temp reported is HIGHLY DEPENDENT on air flow under the die, distance of the probe to the die, and how the motherboard manufacturer calibrates it.
apparently ASUS boards always read on the warm side.
i just went from an asus a7v133 to an iwill kk266.
a7v full load was 52-54C. now its 43-45 on the iwill board. approx the same amount of thermal grease, same chip, same cooler.
its all does to diode location, airflow and the manufacturer.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.