INTEL GOING OUT OF BUSINESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Well, since this is going to end up being one of those lame flamer threads anyways I thought I'd chose an appropriate title.

Nonetheless, this is just a newsflash thread...

The world's biggest computer chip maker, Intel, has reported a 77% fall in profits during July, August and September.

<A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1603000/1603442.stm" target="_new">http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1603000/1603442.stm</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Read the freakin link. If you don't get it from there then I doubt he knows it either.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Yeah, I heard something simular on CNN a little while ago. That's gotta hurt a little bit.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Pretty sure it's net. Either way, Intel isn't the only one. I hope that everyone considering an upgrade isn't holding out due to recent events. I've upgraded since Sept 11 so I'm at least doing my part.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Here's another one that's gotta really sting:

The computer giant IBM suffered a near 19% fall in net profits during July, August and September as computer sales slumped.

<A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1603000/1603462.stm" target="_new">http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1603000/1603462.stm</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
How about this one:

Profits at Dell, the world's top-ranking personal computer maker, slumped 28% to $433m in the May-to-July quarter, compared with a year before.

And profits at Hewlett-Packard plummeted <b>89%</b>, year on year, to $111m.

<A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1495000/1495399.stm" target="_new">http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1495000/1495399.stm</A>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Whole tech sector is down as everyone knows. AMD's profits are down around 25%, or possibly more (that's from just what I've heard).

Why do threads like this always start out in CAPS AND DEAL WITH ONE CHIP-MAKER (supposedly)GOING UNDER?

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
If you click on any of the links there is a sidebar with some of the big hits being taken. Some of those are earth shakers. I have family and friends working for some of the big losers.

Sony and Eriksson for example are getting destroyed. Nortel, well I don't even know what to say, but it mauled one of my mutual funds to say the least. Cisco has given everyone a heartattack. Apple is doing a bit better than Intel but is still in the same ball park.

People need to get out of their shells and purchase goods like they normally would.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Are we all forgetting that AMD also announced that the are going to lose money for the Q3 of this year. Now I am confused, who is going out of business, Intel or AMD. If you look at the Numbers carefully you will see that Intel Still has more then 9 billion in Cash. So Please read the whole report, don't trust Analyst. They don't know anything.

KG

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
We all know that Intel and AMD aren't going out of business. The reason he chose that title is because he knew he'd be flamed anyway. He just wanted to state some losses. I know the tech sector has been bad lately, who doesn't. It'll rebound though. I'm just not sure if all of the players will be there when it does though.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thank you yahiko81, I thought I had made that pretty clear as well.

My point was that people should be buying if they can. I realize that people have lost jobs and so on, but for those of us who haven't we shouldn't delay purchases or this will get much worse.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Everyone should just hurry up and go out of business so we can get back to caveman times. Life was so much simpler back then. All we'd argue about would be who has the better, BIGGER, FASTER.......club.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Note that while Intel's profits are not as high as they once were, they are still profitable and met expectations. AMD is not currently profitable.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Sounds like you need to move your money to pharmasuticals and cellphone companies. Their making a killing.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Never thought I'd see a troll post from a wannabe forum cop!

you need to nominate yourself on that list you're runing in the other sect.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

dhlucke

Polypheme
Did you read my post? Were the words I used too big?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I wouldn't go anywhere near cellphone companies right now. They are up to the back wheels in debt at a really bad time.

The amount they had to sell to get the 3G licenses have left them very shakey, and now with the commited expenditure everyone is looking to DoCoMo in Japan as the world's first 3G provider. If DoCoMo cannot get 3G running profitably and well, I think a lot of mobile companies are going to be in a lot of trouble.

Samrt money right now is for healthcare probably, then get back into non-tech industry in some of the traditional blue chips.

Just my .02c

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yahiko, I think he also chose the title because some intel trolls have posted earnings reports of amd(which shows a 30ish% loss in profites btw, not 77% like intel ;-) and claimed this was the sign that amd was going bust.

Irony is a dish best served cold.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Only because they are more diversified in their products rayy, I would love to see how intels cpu buisness alone is faring. Amd makes flash and cpus, and thats it, intel makes alot of things. I think its interesting that recently intel began building some of its devices at foundrys, which they have never done before.
(I read it on the register a few weeks ago btw*).

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
this is sooooooooo amusing
just read a post which was AMD going out of busness...

so if intel AND amd are going out of busness... who is left to sell chips...

VIA?!?!?!
lol bloody lol

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

This one is for Matisaro:

The facts:

for the 3rd quarter
intel posted a net profit of $106 million while this is nowhere near what it was a year ago (2.5 billion) it is still a profit.

AMD on the other hand posted a net loss for the third quarter of 186 million this is not a 30% decline in profit this is an outright loss.

AMD has about 900 million in cash and short term securities
Intel has about 10 billion in cash and short term securities
If this recession looms on, it is going to be very tough for AMD to compete in the next year or so. Not to mention that AMD will need to raise about 3 billion dollars for a new fab to stay competitive (on a production cost standpoint)with intel on next generation cpus.

Don't get me wrong I really like AMD and their superior price/performance products and I really hope that they are successful, but the odds are against them. The next few quarters are going to be very challenging for them. Especially with tier one vendors like Gateway and IBM no longer are producing systems with AMD cpus. Unfortunately, we the PC enthusiast are a very small part of the market.
Best of luck to AMD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.