Help please: Elf weapon stats

There is a new weapon in one of the more recent WOTC books- races of the
forest or soemthing like that- that details a new elf weapon. it is,
essentially the D&D version of the two-handed weapons used by the elves in
LOTR. They look rather like a no-dachi, or a really long katana. I cannot
remember the name of it, nor can i remember its stats. could someone help
me out, for I have a player who wants one for his half elf tomorrow.

TIA,

--
Trav
hoodyhoo@KODT.net

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:16:51 -0400, "hikaru" <hikaru@diespamdie.rfci.net>
scribed into the ether:

>There is a new weapon in one of the more recent WOTC books- races of the
>forest or soemthing like that- that details a new elf weapon. it is,
>essentially the D&D version of the two-handed weapons used by the elves in
>LOTR. They look rather like a no-dachi, or a really long katana. I cannot
>remember the name of it, nor can i remember its stats. could someone help
>me out, for I have a player who wants one for his half elf tomorrow.

If it is the weapon I'm thinking of, that would make it a Naginata. Kind of
a spear, but with a scimitar blade on the end instead of just a pointy bit?

Structurally, it really isn't very much different than the Glaive described
in the 3E PHB...but since they went to the bother of describing a new
weapon, I guess it does something else. Glaives have reach, and I'm
guessing that these do not. Probably more precise too...

Hmm, 1d10 19-20 x2? Slightly worse than a greatsword. Maybe it is capable
of being used as a double weapon since the haft length is short enough to
be manageable, call that end the same as a quarterstaff.