Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I just updated to the newest BIOS for the Asus A7M266 (from v1004A to 1005), and now my temps are reading around 10oC higher than they were before. Just checking my logic here, but since I had not changed anything, the BIOS is now the culprit?

Another thing I just noticed, that seems fort of odd, is that my mainboard is reading the same temps after the BIOS update as it did before...35oC.

v1004A BIOS : 40oC Idle, 45oC load in MBM 5.09
v1005 BIOS : 49/50oC Idle, 56oC load in MBM 5.09

Anyone else have this board and experiencing these "problems"? Also, is there any way I can make MBM 5.09 read the 10oC lower, being that I think it is reading high?

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Boondock_Saint on 10/17/01 10:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
It's likely that your temperatures haven't changed, and that they're just being read differently with the new BIOS.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
1.4GHz Athlon, stock speed. 266 FSB. MC-462-A HSF. Sanyo -Denki fan @ 54CFM.

I think Asus made a muckup in this new update, in the reading of the CPU thermistor.

If you are curious, I updated to support the new AthlonXP's.
Oh, by the way, I posted on the Motherboard Monitor forums about this.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Boondock_Saint on 10/17/01 10:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
My theory was that perhaps you had an Athlon XP and it was now reading the temperature from the core directly from the thermal diode. But apparently that is not the case.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Interesting theory, justified in it's assumption, but even then, would not the core temperatures still be [way] higher than what I posted?

Anyways, I think all they did was just muck it up. Just have to find a way to have MBM report the actual (lower) temps now.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Perhaps the BIOS update has somehow caused the motherboard to revert from using the VIA 686A/B temp monitors by default to using the ASUSprobe temp monitors by default (or the other way around)? I believe a little while ago, the developers of <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A> noticed an issue something like this with ASUSprobe-enabled boards--some boards would cause MBM5 to use the wrong default sensors. Perhaps this very BIOS update was also responsible for their problems...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."