Your question

AMD and Windows XP

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Windows XP
Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2001 5:53:29 AM

Okay, I heard thru friends that work at Gateway that WindowsXP home or pro will not run on any AMD processors (Athlon or Duron). There seem to be a lot of compatibility issues. Is this true? Thanks for the info!! :) 

More about : amd windows

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2001 10:18:56 AM

That really sounds obvious.. and thats probably why microsoft and AMD are promoting XP together..

Dont believe everything you hear.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
October 18, 2001 10:22:17 AM

Microsoft ain't that stupid.

I'm new here, I don't deserve a sig.
October 18, 2001 1:38:47 PM

100% not true AT ALL.....

If it was AMD Incompatible than its also Intel Incompatible....
it's called x86..

Remember the days of Windows 95 ??
Well if u had an AMD K6 MMX CPU in would read it as being a Pentium(r) Processor under Windows System....
and it wasnt intel, but nevertheless, its x86....same instructions etc. so it cant just be INCOMPATIBLE unless they purposely wrote code that an Athlon ro Duron cannot execute which they would NOT do....especially considering Computer Companies like Compaq etc. sell system with the Duron/Athlon Processors WITH Windows XP, same with all the local shops in my area........

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2001 3:08:13 PM

Different processors may have different errata. You're right in theory, but it isn't always that simple.
October 18, 2001 3:09:57 PM

I have two friends currently running XP Pro on Athlons, and it works great. I'm going to get it installed soon. God bless Morpheus- I mean, America.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 18, 2001 4:19:31 PM

That's BS! I've been running XP Pro on my Athlon 1.4 system for several weeks now. No problems.

Where do these crap rumors come from? Intel's Secret Service?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"
October 18, 2001 4:22:06 PM

Guys he's right you know. At gateway windows xp will not run on any amd processors.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 18, 2001 4:28:48 PM

did u really have to post eight times "no its not true"?!

OK..WE GOT IT..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 18, 2001 4:35:18 PM

I didn't say it wasn't true. I said it was true....at Gateway.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
!