Sign in with
Your question

AMD 1400/266 on A7V266/DDR - CPU temprature?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2001 9:31:02 AM

AMD Tb 1400/266 on a Asus A7V266/DDR... what is a normal CPU temprature?
This rig is running at 71C/160F idle, and 73C/163.5F after max load for a extended time.
Think the fan/heatsink is a Taisol.

Anyone got a similar setup to compare?

Regards
Duke
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2001 9:48:02 AM

I see the "Max die temp is 95C", maybe not that high with 73C then.

Ah well have'nt used the 266 FSB speed with DDR memory before. Seems good performance though.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2001 10:09:56 AM

73°C is really WAY too high. I regard 60°C as critical, and most here even 50°C. My Tbird 1.4 used to run @62° with a silverado, and I switched to a swiftech. Now I run between 40 and 47. reseat your heatsink, reapply thermal paste ASAP. What are your case temps ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2001 6:18:51 PM

Reset the fan with Arctic silver II, still hangs around 70C.
Don't really want to use a TT Orb fan either as removal of those are almost impossible wo cracking the core edges, although i got good cooling with those.

Regards
Duke
October 19, 2001 2:10:42 AM

if your using the analprobe... whoops i mean the asus probe utility stop.
get motherboard monitor 5.09.
asusprobe has a habit of overreading cpu temps.
second, what kind of case cooling do u have?
thirdly... what idle temp is reported when u enter your bois?
fourthly... remember that asus motherboards are designed to naturally read hotter.
i recently switched to an iwill with the same core & fan and my cpu temp went down 6-8C.
so using the probe under the socket isnt the most accurate way to measure temps.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2001 8:21:00 AM

Well the case temp is at like 35-38C so that is not the case =). I´m beginning to suspect the CPU temp sensor hardware itselfe (MBM5 shows the same as the bios), as the idle and max load temp differance is only 3deg C, that is quite impossible. Gonna try put a extra sensor at the base of the heatsink to get some comparison.

Regards
Duke
October 20, 2001 5:54:49 AM

*nods*
using an external probe WILL get u the most accurate temps. stick on to the bottom of the cpu die or inside a drilled hole in the HS.
i like the back of the die personally.

as for your mobo temps, they are a little on the high side, unless your room is 25C+.
maybe invest in a better case cooling solution?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 20, 2001 10:36:02 AM

umm..wonder if ppl are making home made non air based cooling systems..i want to see pictures!

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 2:45:52 PM

Checked the forums at Asus and it seems the built in probe is totally off and the A7V bios seems to run the processor at full blast with out pauses when idle (see the link).
<A HREF="http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/articles/tempissue/in..." target="_new">http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/articles/tempissue/in...;/A>
Put in a external probe beside the core and it shows 12C less than the one located 0.5cm under the processor. So its running a 55C now according to the external sensor.

Reset the processor 3 times now (scary) with a TT Super Orb, and back to the Taisol heatsink as the Orb was worse.

And installed a extra case fan takeing the case temp down to 30C.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Duke

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dukeelam on 10/20/01 10:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!