what chipset/motherboard for a p4 1.7?

G

What motherboard would be the best for a Pentium 4 1.7? I heard Asus's got a good review, but cant remember what type it was (423 or 478?) Just asking what type of motherboard or motherboard type (423 or 478) would be best for the processor? I'm mainly looking for performance over saving cash, but combined would be best ;Þ

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, 478 is better than 423.

But stay away from the i845 w/ SDRAM. It performs much worse than the i850 w/ RDRAM

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

The Abit TH7II-Raid is an awesome motherboard. Comes in Socket 478 and supports the upcoming Northwood P4. It has FSB speeds in 1mhz increments all the way up to 200mhz. You can also set the AGP and PCI divider to "fixed" so if you want to overclock, your peripherals wont run out of spec. Very cool feature. When Intel releases the 133MHz or 1066 RDRAM and CPU's next year this motherboard will support them too. The TH7II should last quite awhile. Every P4 owner should have one. :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wow, I didn't know any of that (except for the first two sentences). I'm definitely getting that board now...IF I go Northwood :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>