Can't install Palm Desktop again

March 22, 2005 7:41:31 PM

I bought a Zodiac 2 on Saturday and after having much difficulty
transferring the data from my Zire31 to my Zodiac 2, I thought that was
the end of the story and I could HotSync the Zodiac 2 again after doing
it for the first time but was horrified to find that I couldn't. I
later found out apparantly it might be due to the fact that both PDA's
had the same UserID which wasn't made clear in the instruction booklet
for the Zodiac 2 to change the UserID on the old PDA to prevent a clash
with the old UserID from said machine being on the Zodiac 2.

I tried reinstalling the Palm Desktop software for both machines over
and over [I kept a backup, unfortunately it was one made after I had
installed the Zodiac software over the Zire31 version] but with no
success, so I manually deleted the Palm Desktop but now I can't
reinstall the software at all and to make matters worse, two DLL files;
PqiIcon.dll and UserData.dll can't be deleted at all no matter what I
try to do, even editing the Registry as suggested in a similar thread
here doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help me out before I pull my hair out because I just want to
be able to HotSync and install programs onto my Zodiac 2...

More about : install palm desktop

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 3:54:53 AM

As I said, I've transferred the data already to the Zodiac 2, I just
need to reinstall the Palm Desktop to be able to HotSync and in any
case, I still say that the black and white instruction booklet that
came with the Zodiac 2 didn't mention anything about changing UserID on
the old handheld to prevent clashes [unlike the indepth booklet you get
with the Desktop which I learnt had information on the subject since]
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:27:17 AM

In article <1111538491.033080.141620@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
rune.jayce@gmail.com wrote:

> I bought a Zodiac 2 on Saturday and after having much difficulty
> transferring the data from my Zire31 to my Zodiac 2, I thought that was
> the end of the story and I could HotSync the Zodiac 2 again after doing
> it for the first time but was horrified to find that I couldn't. I
> later found out apparantly it might be due to the fact that both PDA's
> had the same UserID which wasn't made clear in the instruction booklet
> for the Zodiac 2 to change the UserID on the old PDA to prevent a clash
> with the old UserID from said machine being on the Zodiac 2.

The instructions do warn everyone about mixing UserIDs.

www.palmone.com has a Support section on how to transfer data. There are
step-by-step instructions there.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:38:34 AM

I had to do this for my son with his new Zodiac. I am also using other
Palm units on the same computer. Here are the instructions how to
transfer everything and be able to retain use of the PAlm device. Note
that they cannot have the same user ID after the initial Hotsync.
1. Uninstall your previous desktop and restart the computer. Your
personal data should be intact.
2. Install a clean copy of your Palm Desktop, following the directions,
you should be able to hotsync your Zire to this and it should ask for
your user account. If you want to be sure on the right information,
skip the Hotsync during installation. After installation, go to the
Hotsync Manager and set everything to "Handheld overwrites desktop",
and do a Hotsync.
3. This should get you back to your original configuration.
4. Install the Zodiac Desktop on the computer, with the option to keep
third party conduits.
5. Do a hard reset on the Zodiac (you will loose all data in RAM on the
Zodiac), and Hotsync it with your user name.
6. You will now have to change the name on your Zire, or do a hard
reset to erase everything. You can then use a different user name for
it and all should be good.
Hopefully this will help. Use this at your own risk. If you are
unsure, backup information in a card, so if anything gets lost, you
have a way to restore it.
!