Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 and SDRAM

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2001 2:31:10 AM

I am developing an application with very much graphic, typically 200 graphs used for comparisons but only 4-5 graphs are updated for each transaction. I need a lot of memory and have suggested an AMD 1,4 GHz or Pentium 4 1,5 GHz with 1024 MB. The machine is only intended for programming and using the application. No games at all.

My company only uses Intel and I have got OK for a Pentium 4 1,7 Ghz with 1024MB PC800 RDRAM (My companys standard High performance machine) with two 40GB HD for 18500 SEK (1850 USD)

Am I crazy (Tom says so) if I instead consider a Pentium 4 1,9 GHz with 1024 MB PC133 SDRAM for 16900 SEK (1690 USD) and an UPS

Tom wrote "I personally would consider everyone as close to crazy if he should choose Pentium 4 plus i845 and PC133 SDRAM."

BLL

More about : pentium sdram

October 19, 2001 2:36:05 AM

yes. completely potty.

consider the following...

does one buy a ferrari with training wheels?
or purchace a Lamborghini fitted with a lawnmower engine?
or buy a athlon XP and try to mate it with PC66 sdram?

at the VERY LEAST go for a PC2100 DDR P4 solution.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 19, 2001 2:36:58 AM

Near as I can tell sdram is reducing speed by about 20%. If you want to save money and don't care about maximum performance then sdram is not so bad but why would you pair it with an expensive chip like the 1.9?? Seems to me a cheaper 1.4 or 1.5 with sdram would be a better choice. The AMD XP would be even better if you are wanting bang for the buck.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.
Related resources
October 19, 2001 2:43:51 AM

9 out of 10 geeks agree that Pentium 4 + SD RAM = Bad. ;) 

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
October 19, 2001 2:48:48 AM

and the remaining 1 out of 10 just had a great hit of smack!

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 19, 2001 3:53:15 AM

Nah, they're the retailers that like to screw over their customers.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
a c 159 à CPUs
October 19, 2001 7:51:20 AM

I would use the intel chipset for any graphics applications. The asus P4T-E would probably be your best choice with 4 sticks of samsung 256k rdram. But one alternative is the shuttle av40 with the via p4x266 chipset. The board is only about $103-105, and you can use 3 512k sticks of ddram at a reasonable cost.
October 19, 2001 8:21:14 AM

The i845 (SDR version) is a crime. It effectively neuters the P4, which when partnered with a decenent (to whit: high bandwidth) chipsset. Seriously, take a look at the Abit TH7 II RAID which performs well and offers loads of overclocking options, or the ASUS P4T-E but I don't think it has been released.
If you're willing to wait, you could wait for platfroms based on the Sis 645 (which uses DDR 333).

Charlie

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!
October 19, 2001 5:06:58 PM

Quote:
Nah, they're the retailers that like to screw over their customers.

Retailers don't count as geeks. Just losers...well, the ones that screw their customers, at least.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 19, 2001 5:44:08 PM

i second that

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 19, 2001 6:12:51 PM

i second that.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 19, 2001 6:17:06 PM

Thanks for the visual aid :) 

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2001 7:15:53 PM

As you want to talk about cars I see it as putting a Porsche motor in a Volkswagen. I will not win a race against a Porsche but guess if he will be surprised at the red light.

When the Porsche is fried by a power surge I will go on thanks to my UPS.

I am not talking about performance but of Price/performance

Note that 1GB RDRAM costs more than a Pentium 4 1,9 GHz CPU

BLL
October 19, 2001 7:19:54 PM

I don't know vw used a lot of porsche parts to make their bugs.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2001 7:25:26 PM

The truth is that Porsche has stolen a whole car (Porsche 924) from Volkswagen (Audi)

BLL
October 19, 2001 7:29:45 PM

Cool, didn't know that. All I knew is that someone told me that they raced VW's and that the parts were interchangeable.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 19, 2001 10:38:33 PM

True enough sdram slows down a p4 but not that much. To me it is akin to what Chevy does with the Camaro. A Camaro has the potential to have the same power as a Vette but they detune the TAs and the Camaros a little to keep their flagship the Vette in the hp lead. I'm not saying it is smart to buy a p4 with sdram, only that it is like buying a Camaro. Of corse Camaros cost quite a bit less then Vettes and lots of folks buy them. I would rather have a Vette if I could afford one but driving Camaro would not hurt my feelings.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.
October 19, 2001 10:55:33 PM

You guys are all wrong. "SDRAM" kind of sounds like "Saudi Arabia", and "Pentium 4" kind of sounds like "Peltier more". So putting a Pentium 4 with SDRAM would be about the same as trying to cool down Saudi Arabia with Peltiers.

October 20, 2001 12:07:09 AM

I always thought SDRAM sounded like "Ess dee ram". If we modify it a bit it sounds somewhat like Estée RAM. Does this mean it was designed by Estée Lauder? No wonder it stinks.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 12:23:33 AM

OK, to begin with the P4 is slow for it's clock, the 1.4GHz is about the same speed as the P3 1000 in most applications. And a 1.9GHz would be about the same as a 1.5GHz machine if tied to SDRAM. So if you already have a fast P3, getting a P4 with SDRAM is a waiste of money. Now the 1.7GHz with RDRAM sounds like a reasonable solution for performance, and if your company doesn't mind the price, go for it!

Back to you Tom...
October 20, 2001 12:49:36 AM

If I remember correctly the Scirroco came out after the 924 both sharing the same motor, considering that they are the same company that would not constitute as stealing. And no VW after 1984 was interchangeable with Porsche. Only one Vw was. The Vw Fox with the Audi front strut assembly

Blame the newbies not the technology
October 20, 2001 1:25:35 AM

BLL look at the SiS645 w/ DDR333. I like over the P4 + I850 combo.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 2:03:33 AM

You are quite right, I have made exactly the same estimate.

But, a Pentium 4 1,9 GHz with 1GB SDRAM is 70 USD CHEAPER than a Pentium 4 1,5 GHz with 1GB NON ECC RDRAM so where is the waste of money. In my company you can not buy an AMD (yet)

BLL
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 2:21:04 AM

Stealing may not be the correct word but AUDI was forced by Porsche to give them the 924.

Do you think that Porsche would have designed the 924 with a engine from a LORRY.

BLL
October 20, 2001 2:36:54 AM

*grins*
point

but if you ever did put a porsche motor in a volkswagen i bet the first thing that would happen should u try a quick start is the engine tearing free of the transmission :) 

October 20, 2001 2:46:03 AM

i dunno...
still a bit of life left in my SDRAM setup...
PC150 getting ALU 630mb/s & FPU 700mb/s

shame they never released a PC150/166 type sdram mobo... guess its all onwards towards DDR and higher profit margins.

October 20, 2001 4:29:37 AM

anybody with half a brain would also bring over the tranny and drivetrain, if I was runnung the 420bhp twin turbo I would want the drivetrain and AWD that would support the added torque. The frame of the golf is more than adequate for supporting the power. Takes heavy modifications but quite possible. My G60 pushes 303bhp and runs beautifully

Blame the newbies not the technology
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 12:08:46 PM

I dont think that a P4 CPU will pop out of the socket because of being fed by SDRAM

BLL
October 20, 2001 12:28:33 PM

course it wont ;) 
thats what the HEAT SINK LOCKING MECHANISM is for!

keep that sucker IN weather it likes it or not!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 12:39:57 PM

^RA
|

:eek:  <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel
October 20, 2001 1:20:53 PM

if your gona pimp your ass just to get a P4 with SDR for the same price you could get much better setup with AMD..
i just dono..just a way for retailers to drop prices for P4 products..not really a way-2-go for ppl that know WHAT THE F**K THEY ARE BUYING!

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 20, 2001 8:15:55 PM

Hey everyone,
Ray cracked a joke and no one commented on it. Good job Ray.

October 20, 2001 8:44:33 PM

LoveDude

While you are correct he said his company will not let him get an AMD and it doesn't sound like he has the clout to change the policy. Now we are trying to figure of which Intel system would be the best for the money or whether a Porsche and a VW are the same thing.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 10/20/01 04:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 20, 2001 9:56:15 PM

o-i-c then QUIT YOUR JOB!!-that will show em!

-umm..this coolant im dringing does not affect my posts does it?=/

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 20, 2001 10:01:51 PM

let me ask you, is it your money? if it is buy what ever you think fits with what you are doing(rdram), if not then get the rdram machine because afaik the more systems you buy the more you can write off.

me, I would get a 2.0GHz 478 and ask for a raise.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2001 10:02:58 PM

LOL probably not :)  My take, If you can't wait until jan/feb well then go with a rdram board that supports socket 478 with the lowest priced P4cpu that fits in socket 478 and then get the Northwood when they come out.
October 20, 2001 10:17:44 PM

well actually being a little serious, i see u want to buy the RDRAM based one anyway so go ahead..hmm..1024PC800RDRAM..grrrr....
oh yea *ahem* u should buy yea(anyway if its not to-your-likings ill give my adress send it to me and we are both a happy camper!)

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
!