I would like to know your opinion on what laptop I should buy. I don't do gaming at all, but I do a lot of multitasking: usually a few web browsers open simultaneously with sometimes more than 100 (yes, I know...) tabs open... in each, trying to search for files at the same time, copying and editing pictures, reading a few PDFs at a time and a few word processors open as well. Many of those browser tabs are flash videos/online classes. I'm fed up with laptops crushing and me losing my tabs, which sometimes happens, hence the need for a powerful machine. Moreover, anything that can save me time when I launch another application or switch in between two already in use, is worth the buck.
1. What is your budget? A great laptop is a number one priority for me. I will start thinking about it more when it gets to 5k USD, yet I would still like to know about even more expensive options (are there any?), provided that they really do make a difference. Obviously, if it doesn't make much difference than I would much rather spend less, but it's not that much of a concern.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17" is still ok, bigger - have to think about it but I'm not saying no.
3. What screen resolution do you want? The more the better. Generally I'm not even considering anything below 1600x900
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? It shouldn't weight more than 9lbs.
5. How much battery life do you need? 2hrs is enough. I would love to have more but it's not at all among my priorities.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo editing. I might do some more basic video editing as well, from time to time.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not a priority. Would love an SSD if it really makes things quicker (don't have much experience with SSDs)
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Don't care much
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? About 3 years probably.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? No need for Blue-Ray. I do need a DVD ROM.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don't trust Gateway - the only one I had would sometimes switch off when overloaded. I replaced the AC adapter, then the battery but it still does it from time to time.
13. What country do you live in? USA.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'll be using multiple displays (currently thinking of 3 but it might be even more) and I need bluetooth built in.
Backlit keyboard is quite important, although not amongst real priorities.
I need Windows 7 and would also consider a Mac if I can also run Win7 on it without hassle and spending additional thousands.