Will 0.13 T-B Athlon's have SSE2 ????????

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well AMD Next Gen T-B Athlon have open standard SSE2 on them like the HAMMER. Well i hear VIA P4 clones might use SSE2 also. Since SSE2 is a great open standard like MMX.

Well im just wondering ?

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i thought MMX kinda sucked?

i just saw the AMD productline predictions...
0.13 micron & SIO within a year... yum.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
why would MMX suck?
over the P1-non MMX it was a great imprvement using programable multimedia extantions in otimised code.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
MMX is worthless now in modern processors because a modern P4 or Athlon can handle integers nearly as fast with their ALUs as they can with MMX

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmm course it sucks NOW... my calculator probably has MMX in it!

but in its prime, HOW MANY apps had MMX enhancments? and overall what effect did they have.

i rember back to my p1-166... MMX was all the rage, yet i never really saw any massive bloom of mmx enable apps.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

For all you SSE types out there SSE stands for Streaming SIMD Extensions. SIMD: Single instruction- multiple data. And the first implimentation of SIMD was, if i'm not mistaken, MMX. So without MMX there would not be SIMD.

If i'm wrong feel free to flame someone else, or correct me in a polite fashion.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Not as far as I know. SSE2 will only appear on Hammer. Anything that boosts performance in applications is a bonus so quit the whinging people.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
WTF would AMD pass up Open Source SSE2 Apps. Notice if its SSE2 coding intel spanks them. Well Cyrix-Via are going to use it for there P4 clone. It would be horrible of AMD only releasing it for the hammer.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
damn leechers those AMD guys..
why not 3DNOW!-rev2?
i would like to see them spend some of their own cash to develop something!
(not that im not a fan of AMD;).)

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
hmmm...

For a company that doesn't develop anything on their own, AMD comes up with a heckuva lot of patents!

And guess what?

If I'm not mistaken, AMD uses it's patents and control over them as leverage in licensing other companies' developments. So, AMD is smart, I think, in pushing the envelope in areas other companies are not, then swapping technology with those companies. More bang for the buck for all parties concerned. I mean, why reinvent the wheel when you can invent something else altogether and still use the wheel someone else invented?

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
3DNow! Technology has always been an SSE counterpart. The original 3DNow! Technology in the K6-2 was only 24 instructions, I believe. Then came the Athlon with Enhanced 3DNow! and more instructions. Now we have the Athlon XP with all the SSE instructions of the Pentium 3. SIMD instructions are a really stupid idea, if you ask me. Rather than having an R&D working on SIMD instructions, why couldn't they start looking into developing enhanced FPUs and ALUs from the beginning? That way, all the apps would benefit, rather than just "optimized" apps.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Sounds like Rambus :).

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Hi!

Me and my friend was wondering about all this enhancements thats coming, mmx, 3dnow, 3dnow! pro, sse, sse2... and so on. Is this really better than a strong fpu? Is for example a program/game benefiting more from sse in P3/P4 than the stronger fpu in Athlon?
Another example, a new game comes in two versions. One with sse-optimizations, and one using 3dnow. Wich do you think would give the most fps?...
Maybee Im out on a limb here, but it would be fun to know what you think...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Well, here's what I think...

AMD was smart to ensure Athlon (and Hammer?) has a very strong FPU first and foremost. This ensure excellent performance prettymuch across the board. By adding SSE (and SSE2 on Hammer) AMD further improves their chips' performance. So, AMD, by offering both on their CPUs ensures across the board excellent performance.

Mark-

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Perhaps AMD will introduce SSE2 on thier Barton - SOI .13 micron processors to conincide with Hammer in 2H02 but I don't think it will be on the Throughbred.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
The addition of the SSE instruction set also helps to insure compatibility with some of the current software offerings (within the last year). Sometimes, the software won't perform a certain algorithm unless the SSE capability exists. I know this to be true in some games.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
first of all AMD buys companies and register patens to their own name, second you dond need strong FPU when there is an instruction instaled into the processor to save you cpu time and cycles for the same math result.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Yup that is my understanding also, based on information I have read on the AMD site and elsewhere. However, AMD *could* surprise us! If they have much of the SSE2 circuitry already designed for Hammer, there's always a possibility, however slim, that Barton could include SSE2. It makes sense, though, that AMD would put the majority of their engineering muscle behind the Hammer.

Mark-

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
"first of all AMD buys companies and register patens to their own name,"

Please provide a list of companies AMD has purchased recently and registered the patents as their own. I'd love to see it as AMD hasn't made many acquisitions in the last several years. Also, it sounds more like you are confusing VIA with AMD. VIA has indeed purchased several companies mainly for their technology/patents in the last couple years.

" second you dond need strong FPU when there is an instruction instaled into the processor to save you cpu time and cycles for the same math result."

You do if the software you are using doesn't make use of the instruction built into the CPU. In order to utilize SSE, the software must be coded to use it. So, you need both a strong FPU AND SSE/SSE2, with the FPU still taking precedence IMO for at least another year.

Mark-

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
So to put it all together, you can say that a strong fpu, like in Athlon, can make the same calculations done in the same amount of time, with a cpu that has weak fpu but instead sse? (and the software optimized for it)

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Not necessarily.

What it means is that software that does not have SSE optimizations (the majority of software right now) might run faster with a CPU having a strong FPU.

My opinion in the matter is that it makes sense to retain a strong FPU rather than chop an FPU down and add SSE. Continuing this vein...it would be even better to have a strong FPU AND SSE instructions built in.

The Palomino has this setup.

P4 goes a step further down the SSE trail...to SSE2. Currently very few programs take advantage of SSE2 and by the time core programs do, AMD will likely release the HAMMER (K8) chip which will also support SSE2.

That's just my train of thought, of course. Yours may differ.

Mark-