bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I've got an ASUS P2B Motherboad, with a PII 300 /w 100 Mhz Bus. Suposedly the motherboard can run at 133 with a PCI bus at 33.3. With a clock Multiplier of up to 8x (Where are the 1.6GHZ PIIIs when you need them)
ED. Er, 1.06Ghz, not 1.6...

Has anyone had any experience putting a PIII in this motherboard?

What would be a good upgrade to target for a Processor Upgrade (Slot 1)? Looking to spend maybe around $200, depends on price/performance though.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
why not get another mobo+CPU based on AMD, wont cost you too much over 200 bucks?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
This is a second computer. I don't need the absolute best performance. It may mostly be used for routing an internet connection. I realy like this motherboard, as it's quite stable, and actualy very fast. It's a BX440 chip set, so has performed quite well in recient tests. I remember reading almost a year ago reviews on Tom's Hardware that focused on the BX440 chipset vs several of the newer ones and it was able to out perform them all in any non-graphical function (The AGP Slot speed slowed it down) Also, I have a few parts that might not work in a newer motherboard. (I think my net card, modem, and sound card are all ISA)

A better price range would be 100-150. I've seen some processors at about that range, I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best for me. It's a Slot 1 MB by the way.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best CPU for the money is the 700E, when overclocked to 933. I have done this on MANY BX boards, your's is no different in that respect. I usually recommend an FC-PGA CPU and a Slotket with onboard voltage controll, however since you already HAVE onboard voltage controll, the Slot 1 700 is cheapst on Pricewatch. You'll need an SECC2 style cooler. CPU is about $90. Cooler is about $10. Happy hunting!

Back to you Tom...

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
im using a P1-133 as firewall/router, which works, so dont spend too much and save it for other upgraeds.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>