Sign in with
Your question

Help troubleshooting web browsing/internet connection

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 5, 2013 6:50:35 PM

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right area to ask this question so let me know if I should move it somewhere else (networking?). This is kind of long but thought maybe I could head off a few of the questions/suggestions by providing more complete info up front. I've search for answers the best I can here and elsewhere and can't figure this out.

I built my wife a computer for general use and video editing this spring and I think it went ok. This:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Mwave)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($85.00 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ B&H)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($136.99 @ eCost)

Anyway, we've had a problem since the beginning with web browsing speed/internet connection speed. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started trying to look into it recently.

My wife will mainly complain when trying to browse shopping websites like Nordstrom, Zappos, Athleta...now while this may seem like a positive for the family budget :heink:  , she is not pleased, so I need to get it fixed. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether we are using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

It seems that basic troubleshooting will start with internet service provider and hardware, spyware, wireless issues...I think I can shoot down some of those possiblilites.

We have a wired network which includes my xp computer and speeds are fine on my pc. In fact we had Time Warner Cable out here the other day and he checked her computer and it was super slow (<5 Mb/s). Then he plugged directly into the wall and speeds were fine (> 20 Mb/s).

I initially installed Microsoft Security Essentials then uninstalled when we had problems and now using Avast without any change.

I don't think it is spyware as this has been a problem from the beginning and she is pretty careful where she browses. I've run spyware/ security programs and never come up with anything.

I think it is a conflict with some other program or setting or firewall. Very frustrating.

Today I started up in safe mode with networking and internet speed and web browsing was great. I opened multiple tabs of typical sites she visits and opened pages as fast as I could click. I checked the Road Runner peakview website (we have Time Warner Cable) and down load speeds were about 22 Mb/s.

When I start up like normal download speeds will be closer to 15-20 Mb/s but then if I visit a couple of web pages speeds will very quickly bog down. Then I check the road runner peakview site and download speed is about 2 Mb/s. Pages will just hang up forever.

I have tried to use selective startup to turn off programs and see if that would help and haven't had much success turning off non microsoft programs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Jon
February 6, 2013 8:03:17 AM

There may be some application which connects to the internet in the background.

And the same application didnt start during safe mode.

this may also be due to a virus.

Just check for processes that are running using task manager

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE
Select the "Processes" tab
Show Processes from all users.

End any unwanted processes
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:17:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I try to figure out what process shouldn't be running and don't have much luck. (Also I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode and it didn't detect anything malicious.)

There are 99 processes running. I don't know what shouldn't be there. I thought maybe you could look at my list of processes and it may mean something to you. I tried to copy and paste it here using snipping tool and stupidly can't figure out how to do it. Snips and saves fine but can't paste it here.

Maybe I just need to hire someone to see if they can figure out how to make this computer run properly.

Thanks

m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2013 1:46:26 PM

Try disabling your wireless through networking and use your Ethernet cables only.
While Ethernet is connected, open your Command Line and type "netstat" to see your connection statistics and ping. Next type "ipconfig/flushdns" to clean current connection cache. Do not include the quotes.
If don't help, trying killing svchost.exe from task manager an open it again via New Task
m
l
February 6, 2013 4:40:57 PM

Thanks.

I went to networking to disable wireless and it showed 0 items so I think it is already off.

I used the netstat command and it gives me a ton of info, but I don't know what to do with it. I read about it a bit and watched a short video but it's over my head.

I ended every svchost.exe from task manager (should there have been one? I ended 7-10) then I couldn't connect to anything and had trouble starting it again with new task :pt1cable:  . I restarted and things seem to be back to normal (slow).
m
l
!