AMD XP vs AMD MP

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
What exactly is the difference between the 1.0 & 1.2 Palaminos vs the new 1600,1700, & 1800 XPs. Besides Mhz of course, heh.

What all new technology have they put in the xp's vs the old palaminos. LOL, i said old, they didn't come out that long ago, but they seem old now.

They make mention of QuantiSpeed architecture, but i'm not sure that was in the original palaminos, or what it is exactly.

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
One funny thing I just read on Tom's...

Athlon MP/XP Confusion: Same Chip?

Did you find it odd that the specs for the new AMD Athlon XP and MP processors were nearly identical? So did the folks over at The Inquirer. In fact, it turns out that some curious tecchies went ahead and slapped the Athlon XP chips into Tyan dualie motherboards and, lo and behold, they worked just like the MP multiprocessing chips. Apparently some of the first XP chips out of the chute were unlocked for symmetric multiprocessing just like their more expensive MP siblings. If you picked up a few of the first Athlon XPs, you may have gotten a multiprocessing bonus (you would have had to buy two, of course). Check out the whole story at the Inq.

http://www.theinquirer.net/17100108.htm

G

Yeah the MP and the XP are pretty much identical. They are both built on the .18 palomino core (gotta wait for stupid thoroughbred before it hits .13!! @$%@#!!).

Among the differeces are:
XP will have Multiprocessing disabled.
XP is built on a new (fiberglass?) base instead of the ceramic MP 1.0 & 1.2 bases. (Btw, the new MP's that are shipping: do they come on the ceramic or the fiberglass?)
MP is a bit more expensive ^^^^^$.
And last but not least I would rather have an MP than an XP if i had the money.

g'day

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<<What exactly is the difference between the 1.0 & 1.2 Palaminos vs the new 1600,1700, & 1800 XPs. Besides Mhz of course, heh.>>

The name,.. guess that's all.

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>

G

The MP's are validated to work in SMP systems, the XP's arent. That doesnt mean they dont work in SMP systems though, in fact, they seem to work just fine. However, theoretically it *could* be an XP chip has a small defect that causes SMP to not work, and AMD may not thoroughly test those circuits on XP chips, while they probably would with MP's.

Also, its not too unikely future XP's will have SMP functionality disabled. No way to tell. For home project duallie, I wouldnt hesitate, and go with XP. For a business server or workstation, the small price premium should not be a reason to take any risk, and just buy the MP version.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Quantispeed achitecture is nothing but a marketing slogan for AMD's new PR rating.It's not an actual physical part, it's an "idea". The difference between the XP and MP? The XP comes with a bigger number in the name! And future XP's are supposed to have SMP disabled.

Back to you Tom...

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
---------------------
Among the differeces are:
XP will have Multiprocessing disabled.
XP is built on a new (fiberglass?) base instead of the ceramic
---------------------------

Hi! just wondering, what are the disadvantage or/and benfit from bulding it on fiberglass?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PC600 does indeed run at 600, even if it is only 16-bits.
Netburste Architechture is another anoying slogan.
I guess I must have "Crashman is the greatest man in the world" architecture, it makes just as much sense.

Back to you Tom...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
pc600 makes you think its 6 times faster than pc100, when it is most certainly not. Hence my placing it with netburst. ;-)

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Indeed. Every company uses flashy names to sell their products, and it would appear they all purposely name their products to take advantage of uneducated consumers.

Which begs the question, is that a bad thing?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry, but bien the greatest doesn't necessarily mean the fastest. I forgot to hit the "continue" key and went off to do something else. Came back and hit the "continue" key.

Back to you Tom...