OS System will not install

airbadfly

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hello,
I have tried installing several different OS systems on my computer but none of them seem to be installing, in the past i have had Linux Mint 14 installed.
My computers specs are as follows:
Brand - VIBOX
Processor - Intel Pentium running at 2.7ghz
RAM- 8GB
Hard drive -1000GB HDD 7200rpm
and a 2GB graphics card
When i try and boot without any boot media connected it comes up with BOOTMGR is missing ctrl + alt +delete to restart

When i try to boot from a windows 7 iso on a pen drive ( i have legit codes just misplaced the cd) it stops the installation at about 37% and then proceeds to turn itself off

When i try and Install Ubunto 12.10 from a pen drive it takes me to the purple install screen then comes up with a load of stuff including the following: Kernel Panic - not syncing :VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0) and does not install.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

airbadfly

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have just checked and the ram is correctly seated, i have formatted the HDD several times, but am unsure on how to check it for errors without an OS

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I notice you are installing both from a pen drive. Is this the same pen drive each time? Possible the pen drive is faulty?

I would definitely run some hard drive and RAM diagnostics too.

airbadfly

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have tried installing both OS from different CD's burning at 2x speed, i have currently using a pen drive as it is easier to reformat, and i will look into the diagnostics

airbadfly

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have installed an alternate hdd from an old laptop and it appears to be running fine, guess i should get the original replaced, thanks for all the help