Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 1764 - BSOD with Win 7 but not with Vista

Last response: in Windows 7
February 5, 2013 7:21:45 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1764 which I bought off eBay, it came with Win 7 Ultimate 32-Bit and occasionally would BSOD, so I installed Win 7 64-Bit Home Premium which is the O/S that comes with the laptop originally, again, still getting the BSOD and they vary as to the content and when they happen.

Some are IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and other times there is no description but the Stop code is 0x0000000A or 0x0000000e, and these would occur just after bootup, sometimes it would be whilst running Windows, just totally random, I even had it reboot (not BSOD) just reboot whilst doing a CHKDSK.

I checked the RAM with MemTest86+ but after 14 passes and 10 hours nothing was found.

So I had the idea of installing Vista to see what happens and at the moment it seems to be running ok, no BSOD or reboots and its been on for at least 5 hours.

So could it be something to do with Win 7??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gavin
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 7:25:06 PM

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors are most commonly caused by drivers. They can also be caused by marginal RAM.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 9:32:31 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS... HIRENS BOOT CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 6, 2013 7:01:02 AM

So, I've ran a HD test in DOS using Hirens boot CD but this returned no errors at all.

In my first post I mentioned how Vista was running fine and that the problems only happened in Win 7 but now I'm getting the crashes in Vista too. I had Vista running for a good 5 or six hours slowly downloading update and it seems to have started since a Windows Update although I'm not sure which one (of between 100-150) it might of been which has caused it. To give you an idea, I'v not received the SP1 update yet so I'm still only very early on in the update process.

The filenames mentioned in the dump files are things that start with things like ntkrnl or ntknpamp.exe or crcdisk.sys

I'll upload the dump files just as soon as the system stays on long enough for me to get them off of there

Really want to sort this out at the laptop is great, so fast compared with the slow only dual core laptop I have.

Any more help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gavin
m
l
!