Sign in with
Your question

BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, now laptop won't start

Last response: in Windows 7
February 5, 2013 7:24:59 PM

Hi guys,
I have a Dell Vostro 3450 running on Windows 7 64, and it has been running pretty much flawlessly since I bought it in August 2011.

A couple of hours ago I was watching a video on Youtube and all of a sudden I got a BSOD with the following error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, related to the file fltmngr.sys

I restated the system, it ran fine for about 20 minutes then happened again.

I Restarted again wanting to run some diagnostics, but I got the BSOD right before the log-in screen.

Now, when I press the power button, the power light turns on for about 1 second and then turns off.
I tried to turn it on with and without battery, but at this point I don't know what else to do.

In 4 simple steps and in 40 minutes time, my healthy laptop suddenly died!!

Any idea how what it could be?

Thank you so much for your help!
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 7:31:19 PM

RAM problem.

Download and burn to CD Memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ )

Boot the CD and run no fewer than 3 complete cycles on each stick of RAM individually, in each slot.
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 7:32:31 PM

sounds like one of the dimm on the laptop went bad. try pulling the battery and ac power from the laptop and flip it over and if there two dimms pull both and then reseat one of them at a time. power the laptop up with one dimm and see if it turns on.
Related resources
February 5, 2013 7:52:59 PM

I will try that, thank you
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 8:10:28 PM

hows about instead of guessing ram, test everything

+1 memtest

also test your hard drive -- its more common for it to fail

btw those bsod codes are all rubbish 99% of the time its a general BSOD= BAD thing
February 5, 2013 8:14:59 PM

That error is typically from bad RAM or memory controller. A loose DIMM can also cause the error.
!