Sign in with
Your question

HP vs. Lenovo?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
May 28, 2011 4:57:28 PM

Hey guys, I was just wondering which of these two laptops I should go with. One is HP and the other is Lenovo. I've heard rumors that HP laptops aren't that great, but then again I haven't heard much of Lenovo. The difference between these two computers is the screen and resolution.

HP Laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lenovo:

P.S. I posted this question in this group specifically because the only thing stopping me from buying the HP laptop is the brand. However, I have never had any experience with an HP laptop.

More about : lenovo

a b α HP
a c 244 D Laptop
May 29, 2011 10:06:57 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Both are good,but I'd say go with the Lenovo model,it's cheaper and has a better build quality
m
l
May 29, 2011 3:52:20 PM

Both of them have vast experience with Laptop production but I would suggest you to check out for the quality of support services provided by both of them, as you did not considered DELL for comparison, I would suggest you to go with Lenovo.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 4:07:19 PM

Ok, but as far as overheating goes, I shouldn't really have that problem when it comes to computers of this caliber, correct? I'm not worried about the support services really, I'm just afraid of any kind of overheat.
m
l
a b α HP
a c 244 D Laptop
May 29, 2011 6:22:13 PM

Don't expect either to run cool but I don't think you'll face overheating problems
m
l
May 30, 2011 7:08:21 AM

As cooling system is your main concern, if you are ready to spend a little much than, I would suggest you to purchase external cooling fans which comes with Laptop stands.
m
l
April 20, 2013 4:27:09 AM

naji247 said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering which of these two laptops I should go with. One is HP and the other is Lenovo. I've heard rumors that HP laptops aren't that great, but then again I haven't heard much of Lenovo. The difference between these two computers is the screen and resolution.

HP Laptop:

Lenovo:

P.S. I posted this question in this group specifically because the only thing stopping me from buying the HP laptop is the brand. However, I have never had any experience with an HP laptop.

m
l
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2013 12:42:22 PM

I agree with the Lenovo choice. If your considering a laptop cooling pad, Look at the CoolerMaster NotePal U2, or U3. The fans can be adjusted and lined up with any vents on the bottom of whichever laptop you decide to use it with.
m
l
a b α HP
a c 433 D Laptop
April 20, 2013 1:03:00 PM

naji247 said:
Ok, but as far as overheating goes, I shouldn't really have that problem when it comes to computers of this caliber, correct? I'm not worried about the support services really, I'm just afraid of any kind of overheat.

Well... not exactly...

Based on reading many professionally laptop reviews, it seems average overall laptop temps have been increasing. This is partially due to relatively powerful CPUs in the laptop and maybe weight concerns. Since a heatsink is make of metal it is likely to be the single most heavy component used in building a laptop excluding the chassis. Manufacturers may be using smaller heatsinks to keep the weight down. Additionally, smaller laptops have less space for air to flow through which can also limit the amount of heat exhausted out of the laptop.

Larger laptops like 15.6"+ generally have more space inside so cooling can be more effective than in smaller laptops. For example, I can tell you for a fact that when I play games on my 14" Lenovo Y470, the CPU typically hits 90C - 92C (basically the same temps reported in professionally written reviews of this laptop). The exception is GTA IV which hit 99C and caused the CPU to throttle down. Disabling Turbo Boost helped a little bit with temps, but they only dropped to mid 80C for most games and 90C for GTA IV. The Y470's bigger brother, the 15.6" Lenovo Y570 does not seem to have overheating issues like the Y470. Based on reviews, under gaming conditions the Lenovo Y570 typically tops out at about 75C (if I remember correctly). Still fairly warm, but nothing to be concerned about. The nVidia GT 550m in my Y470 hits only 65C when playing games like GTA IV which is not bad at all.

HP developed a bad reputation a few years ago which involved class-action lawsuits and recalls related to overheating issues. I think the overheating issue were due to the nVidia graphic chips used in HP's laptops. Other brands used nVidia graphic chips, but it was only HP who really had to deal with class-action lawsuits. The generally means their laptops were poorly designed, perhaps not providing enough cooling to prevent the relatively high failure rates and overheating issues they were facing.
m
l
a b α HP
a c 433 D Laptop
April 20, 2013 1:11:34 PM

ratedk said:
I agree with the Lenovo choice. If your considering a laptop cooling pad, Look at the CoolerMaster NotePal U2, or U3. The fans can be adjusted and lined up with any vents on the bottom of whichever laptop you decide to use it with.

Cooling pad do not work with Lenovo's IdeaPads.

Lenovo refers to the underside of their IdeaPads as "thermal panels" and are designed to transmit as little heat as possible. I bought a CoolMaster cooling pad U2 something... and it did not decrease the internal temp even by 1C. The underside of the IdeaPads have vents, but only for the fans. There are no "open vents" to allow air to freely be drawn into the laptop by negative pressure created by the exhaust fans. Since the available vents are only for the intake fans, there is no way to increase the air flow other than to increase the speed of the intake fans. My Coolmaster cooling pad merely acts as a stand, nothing more.

The "thermal panel" of they Y470 truly does work in limiting heat transmission, because I can place my overheating Y470 on my bare skin lap and while it does fell warm, it is not uncomfortable.

m
l
!