HP vs. Lenovo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naji247

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hey guys, I was just wondering which of these two laptops I should go with. One is HP and the other is Lenovo. I've heard rumors that HP laptops aren't that great, but then again I haven't heard much of Lenovo. The difference between these two computers is the screen and resolution.

HP Laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157844&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Lenovo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246094
P.S. I posted this question in this group specifically because the only thing stopping me from buying the HP laptop is the brand. However, I have never had any experience with an HP laptop.

WebHostIndia

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Both of them have vast experience with Laptop production but I would suggest you to check out for the quality of support services provided by both of them, as you did not considered DELL for comparison, I would suggest you to go with Lenovo.

naji247

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Ok, but as far as overheating goes, I shouldn't really have that problem when it comes to computers of this caliber, correct? I'm not worried about the support services really, I'm just afraid of any kind of overheat.

Sham Sharma

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

ratedk

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I agree with the Lenovo choice. If your considering a laptop cooling pad, Look at the CoolerMaster NotePal U2, or U3. The fans can be adjusted and lined up with any vents on the bottom of whichever laptop you decide to use it with.

Well... not exactly...

Based on reading many professionally laptop reviews, it seems average overall laptop temps have been increasing. This is partially due to relatively powerful CPUs in the laptop and maybe weight concerns. Since a heatsink is make of metal it is likely to be the single most heavy component used in building a laptop excluding the chassis. Manufacturers may be using smaller heatsinks to keep the weight down. Additionally, smaller laptops have less space for air to flow through which can also limit the amount of heat exhausted out of the laptop.

Larger laptops like 15.6"+ generally have more space inside so cooling can be more effective than in smaller laptops. For example, I can tell you for a fact that when I play games on my 14" Lenovo Y470, the CPU typically hits 90C - 92C (basically the same temps reported in professionally written reviews of this laptop). The exception is GTA IV which hit 99C and caused the CPU to throttle down. Disabling Turbo Boost helped a little bit with temps, but they only dropped to mid 80C for most games and 90C for GTA IV. The Y470's bigger brother, the 15.6" Lenovo Y570 does not seem to have overheating issues like the Y470. Based on reviews, under gaming conditions the Lenovo Y570 typically tops out at about 75C (if I remember correctly). Still fairly warm, but nothing to be concerned about. The nVidia GT 550m in my Y470 hits only 65C when playing games like GTA IV which is not bad at all.

HP developed a bad reputation a few years ago which involved class-action lawsuits and recalls related to overheating issues. I think the overheating issue were due to the nVidia graphic chips used in HP's laptops. Other brands used nVidia graphic chips, but it was only HP who really had to deal with class-action lawsuits. The generally means their laptops were poorly designed, perhaps not providing enough cooling to prevent the relatively high failure rates and overheating issues they were facing.

Cooling pad do not work with Lenovo's IdeaPads.

Lenovo refers to the underside of their IdeaPads as "thermal panels" and are designed to transmit as little heat as possible. I bought a CoolMaster cooling pad U2 something... and it did not decrease the internal temp even by 1C. The underside of the IdeaPads have vents, but only for the fans. There are no "open vents" to allow air to freely be drawn into the laptop by negative pressure created by the exhaust fans. Since the available vents are only for the intake fans, there is no way to increase the air flow other than to increase the speed of the intake fans. My Coolmaster cooling pad merely acts as a stand, nothing more.

The "thermal panel" of they Y470 truly does work in limiting heat transmission, because I can place my overheating Y470 on my bare skin lap and while it does fell warm, it is not uncomfortable.

Ali Vegeta

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
i have owned both hp and lenovo laptops ...........from lenovo side z510 for my bro and for my self y510p......these laptops replaced our dv2700 (my bro) and dv2000 (mine)....i must say that lenovo laptops stay a lot cooler than hp ...and r louder and,,,,they use hitachi hdd...../cheap dvd drives......due to its over heating issues i fried my gpu ......n my brothers fried aswell .....but it lasted 4 yrs...........and yes i opened up the laptop once ever 7-8 months and cleaned everything and re-applied the thermal paste ....

jonathanwr

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
I've worked on HP for years and have always been happy with them (at home and work). Just switched to a T420s Lenovo (second Lenovo I've had in my career) so my new Lenovo for work I would say laptop battery life is really really poor (not impressed at all) and underneath it is like a cooker. Apart from that the Lenovo is a good machine nice a quick. My old HP 3 years old still has 3 times the battery life of this brand new Lenovo. If it was my money I would purchase a HP - based on what other people have said here people are going to get different experiences from different models - on this I would say avoid Lenovo T420s if you need good battery and you don't want you legs burned - there other models may not do this.so I don't want to run them down based on this laptop - they generally have good build quality (I am an IT Manager and my preference is HP - but realise they will both do the job)

sassy1104

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

I have had a HP Pavillion for the last 3 years. I started having problems from the very beginning. I've been doing research and my friend who does tech support for a living does not recommend HP. I only recently heard of Lenovo but when I asked him about that company and also did some research online, I found they are ranked pretty high in quality. I am also seeking a new laptop and think I will choose Lenovo.

Oldbrit

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Don't just take it from me. HP is garbage.
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf
HP ranked dead last.

Here's a SMALL part of my experience with the HP Envy m7-j120dx I purchased because I got a good deal without proper research of laptop reliability. I should point out that I posted the following on HP's Facebook page. HP deleted my post and blocked me from posting on their wall.

It's not just HP's lousy support, it's their low-quality, high failure rate computers.

I bought a new HP Envy m7-j120dx. It's a piece of junk. I've had more problems with it in 6 months than I've had with the 20+ computers I've owned over the years. This is my first HP and the last. My first printer was an HP IIp laser printer, which lasted 10 years. After that, I bought several more HP printers and scanners until I discovered they were junk and HP no longer made quality products. (I know, it was stupidity on my part to buy an HP laptop...)

Just as an example, I ordered recovery disks. HP sent the wrong disks. It took three days arguing with them to admit they were the wrong disks and send new ones. Then, they didn't actually send them and it took several chats and phone calls to get them to actually ship the disks.

I've had to reload this computer from scratch at least 5 times since I purchased it. It has sound problems, mouse problems, and many other problems, all of which are software issues.

The recovery disks I finally received were the correct ones, but they got damaged by a child who found them and decided he liked drawing on the shiny surfaces.

I ordered another set when my computer once again crashed and needed a reload. It took over an hour to place the order due to their crazy online system. I paid for 1 day delivery. On the day I was to receive the disks, I realized that HP had not emailed me an acknowledgement or a tracking number. I went to the website they provided and put in my information, but their system couldn't find my order. I also discovered that they had authorized on my credit card, but not run the charge - which indicated to me they hadn't shipped the disks. So, I had to waste another 30 minutes on the phone fighting their draconian telephone system to finally to speak to someone who was able to inform me that the disks had shipped and given me a tracking number. The disks were shipped, but they didn't send me an acknowledgement and the system didn't have a record of the order.

It's amazing how often HP has phoned me to try and make me feel better about their horrid support and their inferior computers. Of course, no one every actually offered to do anything about the problems. They just phone to waste my time.

The above may seem minor, but I haven't mentioned the numerous calls and chats with HP's incompetent technical support. Never once have they actually fixed a problem and usually have made matters worse. I've given up on getting trackball or the built-in mousepad to work correctly.

This machine has a fancy "beats" sound system on it, but you can hardly hear it. My 5 year old Dell laptop that I bought used has a better sound system.

The feel of the keyboard is lousy. The Dell mentioned above and a Toshiba laptop I also own, both have better keyboards. If you need a lighted keyboard, pick another brand. So much light leaks around the edges of the keys on my HP laptop that you can hardly see the letters. Additionally, the keyboard lighting doesn't time out, so it wastes battery power.

Then, there's the fingerprint reader and password software. The OLD version worked great with IE, Chrome, and Firefox. It was one of the main reasons I bought the HP Envy, but after I bought it, I discovered that the NEW fingerprint reader and software on MY laptop only work on IE, which is I don't use except when I have no choice - so, the fingerprint ready is basically useless.

I could go on with the many other problems and support horror stories, but if this isn't enough to keep you from buying an HP computer, you need to have your head examined and there's nothing further I can do to convince you.

HPBigFan

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
HP is the best any day!
I have been a big fan of HP laptops since past 10 years.

I recently bought HP Spectre 360. This is the best and highest performing PC I have ever used (including MAC).
Win 10 integration on HP hardware is the best.

Awesome experience. I am a developer and my family watches videos, and does conference video chats all the time. HP Spectre, Envy, and Pavillion units are perfect for all such tasks. Customer service is also very fast and professional.
Big fan of HP.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.