Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hibernation in Win7 if Hiberfile.sys doesnot exist

Last response: in Windows 7
February 5, 2013 8:06:24 PM

how does it work? i dont see any hiberfile.sys file on C drive, i have displayed also system files, yet there is nothing

Thank you
revro
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 8:49:35 PM

Need to enable both System and Hidden files for viewing, or Might try this from a dos Prompt If NOT at C:\
then do a typ CD.. (Enter) until you are at C:\
then type Dir hiberfile.sys /S /A:HS (Enter)

Note: Dir /? shows what switches you can use and what they mean
ie /S means to search all Directories and their sub directories.
/A: Show files with the following attributes (h=Hidden, s = System)
hyberfile.sys is both a system file and is Hidden from viewing.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 8:54:01 PM

RetiredChief said:
Need to enable both System and Hidden files for viewing, or Might try this from a dos Prompt If NOT at C:\
then do a CD.. (Enter) until you are at C:\
then enter Dir hiberfile.sys /S /A:HS (Enter)

Note: Dir /? shows what switches you can use and what they mean
ie /S means to search all Directories and their sub directories.
/A: Show files with the following attributes (h=Hidden, s = System)
hyberfile.sys is both a system file and is Hidden from viewing.

Hi Chief :) 

That was interesting , as I was typing a reply in this thread, you must have edited your post and it kicked me out of the thread lol...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 8:59:49 PM

It is a hidden file in the root drive, so c:\hiberfile.sys and must exist if you have hibernation on. Even if you turn off hibernation in the power settings, the file will not be erased. To actually delete the file, open an elevated command prompt and type: powercfg –h off and to turn it back on, just use an elevated command prompt and type powercfg –h on

Before and after doing that look at your C drive properties and you will see a big increase in free space.
m
l
February 5, 2013 9:51:29 PM

hello,

@RetiredChief: the command gives me file not found
i dont have it on, but when i click on Start->Shutdown->Sleep it goes down, even truecrypt unmounts the volumes but i dont have itself hibernation on. So question is if it goes to sleep, where is the content of ram written to?

thank you
revro
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 12:45:27 AM

Another comment about hiberfile.sys is that it is often stuck at the end of the partition and is the reason some have problems shrinking their c: partition.
m
l

Best solution

February 6, 2013 12:52:08 AM

revro said:
hello,

@RetiredChief: the command gives me file not found
i dont have it on, but when i click on Start->Shutdown->Sleep it goes down, even truecrypt unmounts the volumes but i dont have itself hibernation on. So question is if it goes to sleep, where is the content of ram written to?

thank you
revro

Sleep is not Hibernate.

Sleep suspends the current session to RAM, so if you computer loses power, you lose that session (and anything running that hasn't been saved).

Hibernation suspends the session to your hard drive or SSD, and if you lose power you still boot up into that session when you turn your PC back on.

Suspend consumes a little more power than turning your PC off, but I have measured my own computer with a Kill-A-Watt to still be consuming under 5-7W of power while in sleep, while completely off my PC still consumes around 1W.
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 1:01:17 AM

FWIW, I think the filename is hiberfil.sys not hiberfile.sys (for backward compatibility with 8.3 filenames, I'm guessing).
m
l
February 6, 2013 7:06:01 AM

Best answer selected by revro.
m
l
!