Sign in with
Your question

XP article

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2001 8:02:11 AM

i don't know if this has been posted already or is old news, but i liked it:
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1003199728" target="_new"> click </A>

More about : article

October 21, 2001 8:35:59 AM

hmm, cheers for that, i think the palomino core can be pushed a bit further than that though... with changed multiplyers it should run at over 2ghz, newer batches especially

if in doubt blame microsoft...
October 21, 2001 8:50:46 AM

I find amd's 'speed guide' scheme to be very funny. As soon as most software becomes sse-2 optimized, even lower mhz p4's will be leaving amd chips in the dust. If you want an idea of how much sse-2 makes a difference just look at the divx rendering scores. Soon all new software will be running like this, and amd's speed guide will be complete false advertising.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2001 10:41:16 AM

Your idiot or what?
not every program can use sse2.
October 21, 2001 1:37:05 PM

I think your first option was the most accurate one.

heh

I have a question...

How long has it taken SSE optimizations to become mainstream in CPUs?

2? 3? 4 years?

How long WILL it take SSE2 optimizations to catch on?

Another year at least.

heh.

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
October 21, 2001 1:45:35 PM

By the SSE2 optimized apps become popular, the Hammer will be out with complete SSE2 support.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
October 21, 2001 2:03:38 PM

programmers know that only P4 has the SSE2 capabillity and as most ppl still use P3/AMD or non P4 systems there is no reson to start using SSE2 in most appz, it should take a year or two to really see the code moving to SSE2, thogh specific companies would want to use that uder contract with intel, or just to get ahead of the compatition (and still need users to use P4 based systems).

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 21, 2001 2:49:28 PM

Just as I suspected then:>

By the time SSE2 actually starts going mainstream, Hammer will be out...and typical of AMD, Hammer will likely be affordable in the mid-price range systems.

So..let's see here

1 or 2% of apps may have SSE2 opts now and probably 5-10% in a year.

So, Hammer will have an excellent FPU AND SSE/SSE2

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2001 6:57:44 PM

>As soon as most software becomes sse-2 optimized..

Remember "pentium optimized" ? MMX ? SSE ? 3Dnow ? Each time a new technology or extention got introduced,
there where one or two photoshop filters that got optimized, gained like 50% but thats where it usually ended. mainstream programs rarely benefited much if anything from them. And it took over 4 years to become mainstreal.. and each time you could read that same line.. "once software becomes optimized for XYZ".. well, it rarely happened. I have yet to see prove SSE2 is that dramatically different; especially since in many "SSE2 optimized" apps, a non-SSE2 Athlon (or P3 Tualatin) usually is more then competitive.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
October 21, 2001 9:09:33 PM

this is easily proved wrong, as tom wrote an article about MPEG-4 incoding engine, intel provided him with a program optimised to use SSE2, in which it gained quite a performance boost, as well as the AMD chip from the recompilation for a more recent code lines.
anyway this comes to prove that in case of real contast and SSE2 or any other processor intruction can boost performance, as long as they do use it..their choice.
im was once a programmer for web aplications, so when i wrote the source code i had to make it support both IE and Mozila(netscape), so i had to write few lines of source code twice to work on both, if another company like "opera" browser would make some engine of their own i would never spend a single line to make it work there as most(!!) ppl would still use IE or Nestcape.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2001 11:21:54 PM

>this is easily proved wrong, as tom wrote an article
>about MPEG-4 incoding engine, intel provided him with a
>program optimised to use SSE2, in which it gained quite a
>performance boost, as well as the AMD chip from the
>recompilation for a more recent code lines.

?? There you go... its obviously not only the sse2 that made the difference then, since the Atlhon also benefitted from it. Most apps are bloatware, and would benefit much more from a decent rewrite/recompile than any SIMD instruction ever could.

Remember the early pentium days ? Software that was recompiled "especially" for the Pentium misteriously also ran noticably faster on 486's.

This issue aside, I'm sure there are a few aplications that would benefit from SSE2, but its not the "next big thing", and most certainly not a requirement these days. However much intel would like you to believe. It seems more that the P4 really relies on SSE2 to make up for its relatively weak FPU.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
October 21, 2001 11:45:29 PM

yes but does it really have to be a contast rather then dual work of them?
if we were still using software rendering rather then Direct3D or OpenGL hardware acceleration, do u think games would look and run the way they do now?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 21, 2001 11:55:10 PM

It's good that AMD are launching their Thoroughbred earlier, so long as everythings working fine.
What improvements does the Thoroughbred have over the Palomino other than the die shrink? More cache?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
October 22, 2001 12:08:09 AM

just that .13 i think, no SSE2 till hammer, might be some new fetures over the XP..basically the .13 thogh.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
!